Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First couple cooks on the 36" Blackstone...I'm in love

Options
michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum
We took the blackstone to a local campground for Easter weekend. Ended up cooking every meal on it other than Easter ham. Here are a few pics. It is starting to season nicely (thanks to bacon.) I am having my dad make me a piece of metal for the drip pan. It will attach to the corner where the grease drips and come down on a 90* angle to eliminate the horrible design flaw we all know about. 

The rig. 

My dog just loves my mom, he always has to sit on her or lay on her lmao. He thinks he's a lap dog. 

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Food and family. Love it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The black stone is a work horse.  Looks like great cooks and great family time. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Very nice, looks like you guys (and mans best friend) are having a great time.....

I took my 17" to the ball park this past weekend....and cooked a pizza on it. Covered it with some foil.....it came out awesome. I did use some 00 dough that is very heat tolerant. Largely the pizza cooked from the bottom.....but surprisingly got some browning on the top. I din't get any pictures to share.... :s
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a 17". Only used it a few times, but it just doesn't seem to get hot enough for a proper sear. Which is the only reason I wanted it! Tired of smoking up the house. Or lighting the egg for a 2 minute sous vide sear.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I have a 17". Only used it a few times, but it just doesn't seem to get hot enough for a proper sear. Which is the only reason I wanted it! Tired of smoking up the house. Or lighting the egg for a 2 minute sous vide sear.
    How hot are you looking for, Michael? My IR shows one side of mine at 571º and the other 560º in short order. I assume if I left it on high longer it would get much higher, but I'm not wanting to waste fuel nor risk warping just to find out.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    How hot are you looking for, Michael? My IR shows one side of mine at 571º and the other 560º in short order. I assume if I left it on high longer it would get much higher, but I'm not wanting to waste fuel nor risk warping just to find out.
    I'll have to check temp next time. I turn it to high, let it heat for about 10 minutes, maybe 15, and it didn't sear nearly as well as my electric stovetop with CS skillet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut