Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First 17" BlackStone SmashBurgers rocked!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
While I have tried SB on cast iron griddles on my BGEs before tonight was a new adventure on my recently purchased 17" BS. My pucks were 3/8# and I know I should have heated the BS higher, but I'm of the old school that you can't undo an overcooked burger, but can always cook an undercooked one longer! My wife loved them and I did too and the thing we both really liked was the way I toasted our hamburger buns in the corners of the 17" without burning them. Only issue to learn is a quicker cleanup afterward as we have raccoons here that would rip the BS apart.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

not sure what the grease trap looks like on the 17", but this hack saves a ton of time on the 36.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks, but the 17 has a pull out drawer-like grease cup. I did add a pad of folded up paper towel in it which made clean up quicker and easier. I'm afraid if I left it outside the raccoons which are commonplace in the woods here would be drawn to it. I might line with a quick folded foil in the future.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    try one full heat, thin. its an odd combo of crunchy juiciness.  no grease, just smash it down on the dry searing hot steel. its one of those cooks that defy logic, have everything stacked on the bunn ahead of time, you dont want it to rest
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    SWMBO has been considering getting a BS (or some sort of equivalent over here). We tried smash burgers on the half moon CI yesterday, they were hands down the best burgers we've had.

However, claims that a BS can beat this may be the clincher for a new addition to the patio. :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• RRP
    Options
    SWMBO has been considering getting a BS (or some sort of equivalent over here). We tried smash burgers on the half moon CI yesterday, they were hands down the best burgers we've had.

However, claims that a BS can beat this may be the clincher for a new addition to the patio. :D
    I was of the same frame of mind and that's why I went for the 17" portable BS. Besides I figured I would not use it that often so I didn't want to take up more real estate on my deck.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    How long does smash burger take on the bs?  Mine took a long time to cook, so I wonder if my regulator is faulty....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    odie91 said:
    How long does smash burger take on the bs?  Mine took a long time to cook, so I wonder if my regulator is faulty....
    on the highest setting its just a couple minutes, but i smash them pretty thin for double burgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    odie91 said:
    I do 2oz patties.  2 mins per side
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Uhhh, it took at least ten minutes for me. Maybe I didn't smash flat enough
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Uhhh, it took at least ten minutes for me. Maybe I didn't smash flat enough
    Should be about 2 minutes a side, sometimes a little less after the turn.  You could not have been hot enough or smashed thin I'd guess.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Joined the blackstone club with the little guy. Smash burgers tonight as inaugural cook. Top notch. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You will love it chubbs
  • RRP
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Joined the blackstone club with the little guy. Smash burgers tonight as inaugural cook. Top notch. 
    Hope you were just displaying that unit on that fancy *ss expensive table! If not then the corner has already declared you dead and the police have hauled your wife off to the slammer! BTW what size tank did you think you were going to use before your untimely death? With that connector sticking up in the air like your tombstone will? 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    RRP said:
    Chubbs said:
    Hope you were just displaying that unit on that fancy *ss expensive table! If not then the corner has already declared you dead and the police have hauled your wife off to the slammer! BTW what size tank did you think you were going to use before your untimely death? With that connector sticking up in the air like your tombstone will? 
    Just pulled it out of the box on the table. She's on my porch now sir with a nice seasoning on her. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Atta boy...hope you and fam are all doing well and beating the summer heat.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited July 2017
    Options
    odie91 said:
    30-45 seconds a side- maybe a minute but it's fast
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Options
    How long do the mini propane tanks last with this beast?
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    They are good for a few cooks, but always have a spare on hand.  There was a previous post that had the adapter for a 20lb tank and that's what I use now.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M26G432/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen