Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal brands

Options
Just wondering if anyone had any feedback on charcoal brands.  I was given a 40lb bag of Kebroak "restaurant quality" coal as a gift.  Once I got it, I started looking online at reviews of the brand and see a mix of reviews.  I have used the BGE brand and Royal Oak in the past and have had good experiences with both.  The bag seems about the same size as the 15lb bags of the other brands that I have used, but is much heavier.  Before I cut the bag open, I was looking for some input so I can send this bag back if it's worth returning. 
-1 XL BGE
-1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
-1 Traeger Scout 
-cast iron grate and pans
-pizza stone
-XL Adjustable Rig 2 Grid Combo from Ceramic Grill Store
-A-MAZE-N smoker pellet tray
-Teken Wireless 4 Probe Thermometer

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of Made in Mexico in the stores lately, including Costco.  Having to pay a premium now for Made in Canada.  
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,093
    Options
    Try it and let us know.  I have a 40lb bag of mexican mesquite from RD that is actually pretty good.  Lights quick, just the right smoke, and can burn hot.

Not good for subtle cooks because it over shadows delicate fruit woods, but on the whole I will keep some on hand.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    People like rockwood I'm one of them. Royal oak is just fine - I don't care for mesquite lumps just preference 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    One of our local dealers starting carrying parker's after Ozark Oak went away. I like it a lot. 

Little Rock, AR

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Couple of years ago Kebroak in the 40# was available thru Amazon.ca, with free shipping for $40CDN. Bought at least three bags. Good stuff for that price. Average to start, better than average for ash, fairly neutral and no moon rocks or foreign objects found. Would buy agin if I could get it worth the price.
    Sadly, the price is now almost $200CDN for a 40# bag, so not buying much of that. Price is $50US on Amazon.com. 
    I found Kebroak to be better than RO (which is BGE if I understand it correctly). Don't think you will be disappointed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Try it and let us know.  I have a 40lb bag of mexican mesquite from RD that is actually pretty good.  Lights quick, just the right smoke, and can burn hot.

Not good for subtle cooks because it over shadows delicate fruit woods, but on the whole I will keep some on hand.
    @Ozzie_Isaac - is that Lazzari? Use it all the time mixed in with neutral lump like Maple Leaf. Adds the right amount of mesquite without adding smoke wood. At $14Us for 40#, hard to beat. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Nothing but RockWood for low and slow. use Char-Broil Center Cut for hot and fast cooks.

I have some BGE left over that I occasionally mix in when I am not concerned about how long it takes for the smoke to turn good.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I have to agree that for hot and fast grilling the Char-Broil Center Cut works pretty well.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

@Ozzie_Isaac - is that Lazzari? Use it all the time mixed in with neutral lump like Maple Leaf. Adds the right amount of mesquite without adding smoke wood. At $14Us for 40#, hard to beat. 
    I was hoping they would have Lazarri, but it was Cajeme.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    One of our local dealers starting carrying parker's after Ozark Oak went away. I like it a lot. 

@Biggreenpharmacist where did you pick that up? I'm going to NWA this weekend and would love to pick up a bag or 10! I just opened my last bag of OO and shed a little tear. Hoping someone carries this up there. Harps maybe if I'm lucky?!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Simple.. buy rockwood.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• TN_Sister_State
    Options

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Nothing but rockwood here!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Simple.. buy rockwood.
    Rockwood is my favorite, but I have only 1 bag left of the 20 I started with.  Poor planning has left me conserving.
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I used to use cowboy. Switched over to rockwood. I've also bought a bag of fogo. Haven't tried it yet. I've heard good reviews?
    Madison, AL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    maso said:

@Biggreenpharmacist where did you pick that up? I'm going to NWA this weekend and would love to pick up a bag or 10! I just opened my last bag of OO and shed a little tear. Hoping someone carries this up there. Harps maybe if I'm lucky?!
    Man I dont know about NWA. I get it at congo stove in benton. Its good stuff. I just opened my last bag off OO sunday before last to cook oysters. I got some more parkers and re-sealed my OO and put it back up. 

Little Rock, AR

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood.
    That is all.
    You are welcome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    Lots of people using that Rockwood. Must be something to it...

Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Simple.. buy rockwood.
    Rockwood is my favorite, but I have only 1 bag left of the 20 I started with.  Poor planning has left me conserving.
    My local Ace Hardware carries it. I just run by and grab a bag. Haven't started ordering it yet but I'll probably end up ordering it 3 bags at a time,
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group