Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long cook time for baby backs indirect?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We'd like to slow, indirect cook several racks of baby backs, with a rub, for as many hours as possible without drying them out. Could people suggest temperatures and times? Also, do they need direct cooking toward the end (no sauce)? Thanks -- km

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Ken M., My favorite way is 200 to 250F on a flat second grill indirect over firebricks and a drip pan, rubbed with a rub for about 4 hours, and ignore em thruout the 4 hours. Then if you like sauce, mop em good and foil wrap em tightly, and return them to the heat for another hour. If no sauce, then do the same thing. I have done them unwrapped as well with nearly the same results, but you should mop em every 20 minutes the last hour to keep em moist. Everybody has to do their own thing I guess. Good luck.
    C~W[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    09_10_0017_33_01_small.jpg
    <p />Ken M., check out the link for a detailed description of the 3/1/1.5 (3hs/1hr/1.5hrs) method - about perfect results every time. There is even a larger version of the picture. In fact, they (using Nature Boy's Ginger Mahogany Rib recipe) will be on the BGE tomorrow afternoon. [p]Good luck![p]

[ul][li]Ribs[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Gfw, nearly picture perfect! :-)
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gfw,
    Glad to hear you are cookin that recipe again! A nice change of pace for ribs. I've been using the hell out of ginger lately. BTW, that Penzey's cracked ginger (ground before adding to the marinade) is pretty good when you don't have fresh. I just bought a big bag of it cuz I been using it so much. Ginger is incredible stuff..and goes with lots of foods. [p]Just did some chicken thighs tonight, marinated in tangerine citrus splash, soy, cracked ginger (ground), onion/garlic powder, hoisin sauce, dijon mustard, peanut butter, some of that rib rub I posted a few weeks back. A quick finishing sauce mixed up with ketchup, hoisin, toasted onion powder, pepper and more ginger. Dem was good. and very "gingery". [p]I'll have to agree with you and your theory, Gordon. Life is definitely shweeet.
    Enjoy the ribs![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody, and others, thanks for the generous and good advice -- wanted to have it right as there will be company, and now I know it will be. -- km

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Ken Masner, and JJ's advice on bone side down flat on the grill is on the money.
    The reasoning is your basting your rib with the fat to the topside. Same thing applies if your doing ribs in a rib rack. put the thick end of the rib upside. Then the rib self bastes to the then end tip.
    When your doing ribs over firebrick, there is no need to flip em as you lose the internal heat/moisture every time you open the lid and you will have lost your carefully adjusted temperature control.
    You will do a great job..!!
    C~W[p]