Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any love for the medium?

Options
Hey everybody. New guy here from Kansas City. Long time cooker, short time Egger.

I recently got a steal on a used medium egg and have been pretty thrilled with it. Sometimes I light it just so I can stare at the little glow coming from the bottom vent.  I don't think there is a better device for cooking chicken and the ribs it churns out are pretty darn good as well.

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now and I don't see many people cooking on the medium. I assume its because if you're coughing up the money for a medium, whats a few more dollars for a large?

I look forward to talking it up with you guys, please don't tell my weber friends I'm here :)
Kansas City, Kansas
Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I have a medium and use it from time to time for smaller cooks and as an additional cooker. The only thing I needed to change on mine was the bottom grate. I did not get enough air flow and added a Hi-que then later I went with a Kick Ash Basket. Both of these upgrades are great for the medium. That being said, a friend of mine (KDP) bought a medium..newer version and she has no air flow problems. Good Luck and welcome!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited April 2017
    Options

Welcome.  The only thing better than a Medium egg is a Medium paired with an XL egg!  Medium is a great size, and excels at mid week grilling.  Enjoy.

btw, there are a few of us here who have a fondness for weber as well.

Phoenix 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Medium is my favorite egg hands down! Congrats on your find.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Medium is my large egg......happy guy here. You put the enjoy on it, and your secrete (Weber) is safe here.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have 2 large, 1 medium and a small use the medium when doing 2-4 steaks,  The large for ribs, turkey, turkey breasts, the small feels like an orphan.  I got the medium so as not to have to heat the large for a few burgers, steaks etc.  The small has been around a few years
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    First and only egg is a medium. Perfect for the two of us for most nights and will handle the butts, briskets and chickens when needed for a larger crowd. The MBGE is maybe the most fuel efficient of the small, medium, large and XL, IMO. 
    Picked up a Primo Large on a fire sale a few years ago, it also is very versitile, and the MBGE grids fit the Primo. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Medium is the best kept secret around 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Got a medium and a Mini Max. Medium is go to cooker. Brisket smoking final hour in foil and beef broth right now. As far as Weber goes, I would bet at least half the members here have at least one. I have a gasser and a smokey joe that still see use. Welcome!  
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Welcome!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nope.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    First and only egg is a medium. Perfect for the two of us for most nights and will handle the butts, briskets and chickens when needed for a larger crowd. The MBGE is maybe the most fuel efficient of the small, medium, large and XL, IMO. 

Agreed! For just myself and a few others the medium works. I also have a mini that gets used more than the med.

It all comes down to your specific needs. 

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Welcome to the group.

I had a Weber but wife said it had to go as there was no room for it and the LBGE. Gave it to a friend that will put it to use.

I'm still looking to get a MIniMax for my nightly cooks.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    My medium is my baking egg and it has never had either wood nor meat cooked in it. Sometimes I refer to it as my virgin egg for obvious reasons. ;) BTW something that is amazing is it is now 16 years old, still has the original old style felt gasket and the color inside is a light tan - not even honey colored! Guess that says something about what meat and wood does to the inside of an egg!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    My medium has been my first and only egg since 2009. It does just fine for me. It is a real good baking oven, makes better meat pies than the inside oven. If I did long and slow briskets or ribs I would be tempted by a large. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    RRP said:
    My medium is my baking egg and it has never had either wood nor meat cooked in it. Sometimes I refer to it as my virgin egg for obvious reasons. ;) BTW something that is amazing is it is now 16 years old, still has the original old style felt gasket and the color inside is a light tan - not even honey colored! Guess that says something about what meat and wood does to the inside of an egg!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @RRP There's a very nice reputable guy on this forum that could probably help you out with the stock gasket!

I really like my medium.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    So what do you use for a heat source if you aren't using wood?
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Ps, the medium is probably the most underrated egg. It doesn't get the love it deserves. It's a solid cooker. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    RRP said:
    Lump charcoal, but not just any...Ozark Oak which I hoarded for sake of its seemingly neutral or very little smokiness. By saying "wood" I meant no wood chunks nor wood chips so once any smoke clears from the charcoal there is little if any smoke taste. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I have a Medium and a Large, and I use the Medium by far the most.  I love it!  Once in a while, the Large really is a better size, and once in a while I've had both going at once.  But most of the time I'm just cooking for me and my wife, and the Medium is just perfect.  I'm glad to have both, but truly, the Medium is the one I used the most by far, and I really love it.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Lump charcoal, but not just any...Ozark Oak which I hoarded for sake of its seemingly neutral or very little smokiness. By saying "wood" I meant no wood chunks nor wood chips so once any smoke clears from the charcoal there is little if any smoke taste. 
    I just cracked open my last bag of OO. 

Little Rock, AR

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I had a medium. It was the stepping stone and a damn GREAT ONE. It had to be sold to fund the large egg and now have the mini max also. I love this 1 2 punch combo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    RRP said:
    Agreed.
    My large has been 8 years smoke and fat free.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Medium is the best egg I own. Its close to 100% of my cooks.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Small is where it's at. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Medium is my favorite egg for weeknight cooks.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

I have two mediums, both of which are approaching their 20'th birthdays (I purchased a handle light for one of them, being careful to buy the one for "old" eggs, just to find out mine was an even older style so it didn't fit... they didn't have a version for the "ancient" model...)  =)

One egg is fitted up with a CyberQ temperature controller and the other has a Tip-Top-Temp.  The CyberQ egg also has a Smokeware cap and a Kick-Ash Basket.  

And this brings up my only criticism of the Medium... The availability of accessories for it compared to the Large. There is a vastly wider range of accessories for the Large than there is for the Medium. If you have ever looked at something like the Joetisserie, or a number of the stainless steel rack options you will find they are only available for the Large.

Do I regret this enough to go out and buy another egg? Obviously not but every time I see something neat and useful and find out it only fits the Large I kick myself for not buying one in the first place.

You'll enjoy the egg no matter what size you buy!!!
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I currently have a medium and a mini max. The MM is my go to for everyday cooks. The MBGE gets the ribs, butts, etc. It is indeed the best combo IMO. 

I got got rid of my XL. Never used it. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Medium is my go to Egg of choice. Medium and large is a great combo. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Like Skiddymarker there are two of us and the medium is perfect. Normally we do one large steak and split it, we do half butts because two people and an eight pound butt are a lot like two people and a ham or turkey.
    This weekend is Cornish hens. It does an eight or ten pound butt and at least a 13 pound turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You name it and the medium will cook it.
    I like simple, so no farkles. The thing will wrap the thermometer with no trouble so I see no need for more airflow. The other stuff, I just don't want.
    Welcome and wish you many great cooks in the future Tenpenny.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast