Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Small cast iron grid

AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
edited 5:22PM in EggHead Forum
Anybody know if there is a cast iron grid available for the small, my local dealer said they were only for the med and lg? -RP
·

Comments

• KingerKinger Posts: 147
    AZRP,[p]
    I don't think that they have one. I bought a rectangular one at home depot and used my mini grinder to cut it such that the square peg would fit the round hole. There was enough material left that I made a second half grate that I use with my grate mates. It gives me the ability to cook on two levels simultaneously.[p]JNK

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    JNK,
    Good idea, I'll swing by Home Depot on the way home, thanks. -RP

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,955
    AZRP,
    Randy,
    Here are the two pictures I post from time to time of the grate I cut for my small nearly three years ago. I love it and have never even once reverted to the original equipment grill.
    IMG_00851.jpg

And this is the remainder of the rectangle I cut it from.
    IMG_00591.jpg

I merely used a sabre saw with a metal cutting blade and then ground off the sharp edges. One word of caution to anyone who wants to follow suit - check to make sure there is a center "gate" as it is called so that the remaining "legs" are uniform length on each side of the gate - otherwise warping can be a problem under intense heat.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·