Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to back low & slow - clean vacuum first?

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done a lot of low and slow pulled pork and pulled beef cooks and they have really turned out well.[p]I have traditionally cleaned and vacuumed the BGE after each of them and have thought that maybe that helped them turn out well.[p]I just finished a low and slow of pulled pork. It seems great too.[p]I would like to do a pulled beef tomorrow (low and slow) but do not have time to clean and vacuum the BGE first.[p]Do most clean after each low and slow?[p]Can I just replace the lump used today and feel safe to start another cook tomorrow, or would I be smarter to delay one day to allow for cleaning?[p]Any thoughts will be appreciated.[p]Kyle

Comments

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I just reload and go most of the time.[p]Toy Man
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Kyle,
    I have personally never gone to those extremes...I would say, stir the ash out of the old lump, fill er up and keep on going...worst case maybe use the ash tool to clear under the grate, but I seriously doubt you NEED to....As long as your not impedeing the air flow there is no need to clean anything...and vacuuming my eggs is something I dont think I have EVER done.[p]Wess

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Kyle,
    I do a real cleaning (remove fire box) about twice a year depending on how much I have used it and if I did a lot of low and slow. You should be fine. (IMHO) LOL Things do happen.[p]
    Good Luck,
    Bordello

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Kyle, Just open that slider and look in the area below the fire grate. You will know when it needs cleaning cause you can't see in there.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Kyle,
    Clean what?

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Kyle,
    Sure, your good. Scoop out what you can and leave a little ash in the egg, that's karma from your previous cook.

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Kyle,[p]Thanks to all who responded. You all are very helpful. This forum is great.[p]The BGE is putting out its usual small stream of smoke and the beef is on. Looking forward to guests who will enjoy it.[p]Kyle

• Kyle,[p]Most of the time I just stir it up with the ash tool and let the ashes fall through the grate. But if I was doing low and slow, I would pull out the old lump and just lift the fire grate and do a quick vacuum if there's a pile of ashes there. My shop vac is actually sitting outside, next to the BGE. So I can easily vacuum it out in shorter time than it takes to write this post. ;)