Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If anyone has had success making cibatta on BGE, what works best?

Options
westernbbq
westernbbq Posts: 2,490
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum
Looking at making it for Easter Sunday extended family gathering.  Pretty sure high hydration, a water pan underneath on adj rig setup and xl baking stone warmed will do the trick maybe to 450F although that sounds a bit high but i recall seeing that temp somewhere. I am looking at a large batch, maybe 10-12 loaves.

Looking for nice crust formation, hence the steam pan, and using XL pizza stone, adjustable rig with a steam pan on mid level.

If anyone out there figured this out and is willimg to share, it would help a brother out!

Thanks,

Comments

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    I haven't done it in an Egg, but I've done it lots of times in my wood oven.  Be sure to go back and dimple the loaves with wet fingers before you put them onto the stone.  That keeps them from blowing up into a pita.  The hydration of the dough should be high enough that additional steam might not be needed. 

I'd do a Tuesday test run if I were you.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Why yes I have :smiley:
    Mine is the 3rd one down on this link. 
    https://flipagram.com/tags/Sourdough
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Plenty of folks on this forum that make their own bread with success. Google is your friend. Ciabatta
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited April 2017
    Options
    never did that style bead before, you want the pan directly over the fire, dome here was 450/475 dome, the pan gets hotter. dont add water til the loaf goes on, put loaf on stone add one cup water and quickly close dome. wear gloves and glasses as the water quickly flashes. wipe the stone with a damp towel between cooks,damp not wet. you want to add the water and not much, you want it flashing to steam, too much water and it controls a low temp where the breads cooking

3ecd831djpg

054cb85djpg

286fa7cajpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Thanks @NPHuskerFL,   and @fishlessman

The ideas from @fishlessman is what im looking for...steam flashing, damp towel, etc.  Super helpful...
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If I go straight onto the stone I like to use a a small CI pan to add steam and mist the loaf with water just before I close the BGE dome. If it's in a CI DO....of course preheat the CI...turn out your loaf into DO andv then  I mist the loaf before placing the lid back onto the DO and then back into the egg. You'll see more oven spring by doing this. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • westernbbq
    Options
    If I go straight onto the stone I like to use a a small CI pan to add steam and mist the loaf with water just before I close the BGE dome. If it's in a CI DO....of course preheat the CI...turn out your loaf into DO andv then  I mist the loaf before placing the lid back onto the DO and then back into the egg. You'll see more oven spring by doing this. 
    Aweso.e advice Brothaman.  Thanks mucho for the heads up!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Paging @SciAggie.
    I don't have any input with regard to ciabatta. I make a lot of bread but I don't want to speculate in this application. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon