Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Ideas

Options
Doing a prime rib for Easter and I need some ideas. Love to hear from the group.  I have a 5 lber.  Thanks

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Roast it 325-350 no sear. Salt pepper olive oil minced garlic rosemary and a little lemon zest. Little or no smoke wood. Cook to 120 and then rest the carry over cook during the rest should get you to the medium rare range in the center with more done slices on the ends :-) it's a fun easy cook!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Didn't click the above link but it is a simple and great result yielding cook.  
    Here's a great link that will help with sorting out cook times:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html 
    The above said, for something in your weight range I plan on around 25-30 mins/lb at 250*F on the dome.  No sear desired or required.
    Lightly salt, fresh ground pepper and rosemary for the win.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like my prime rib pink edge to edge. Go low, 225-250 until 120ish. Carry over cooking will take you to 130. Go ahead and leave it open to air in the fridge until the cook.
  • Coach292
    Coach292 Posts: 39
    Options
    Here is a link to one I did. Turned out great. I cut the bones off before hand and smoke them separately for a few hours before hand. Also used Mickey's coffee rub which is excellent on beef. Link : http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180327/rib-roast-from-this-weekend-did-it-a-little-different#latest
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    One I did at New Year's was a 7 lb. boneless.  Did it ;indirect at 250 for about 3 hours to 115 internal.  Pulled it and foiled for 30 minutes.  Best I have ever done.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  Great Ideas.  Sounds like I need to keep it simple and it should be great.
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Great thread - I'm going to try the same thing for Easter and am a prime rib first-timer on the egg.

Is there a minimum size it should be to cook well?  To feed everyone, I probably only need 3 lbs, but that would be a pretty small chunk of prime.  Thinking of ordering a 5lb piece.

Do you guys tend to put it in a roasting pan?

Thanks!
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    @reinhart36 go right on the rack inderect with a drip pan under the grate. Prime rib just has it own goodness. Low and slow is the best in my opinion . I like to pull at 125 let it sit on a rack for 20 minutes and serve. I have FTC after the 20 minutes for an hour and half and had the same result. Good luck and take pics of the outcome 

• reinhart36
    Options
    @Hntnhrd Thanks for the tips.  That pic looks fantastic!
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I'll be cooking one too. Looking for different ideas
    Madison, AL
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @reinhart36 -  there is no truly minimum but at some point you get to thick steak size.  Remember that if you are buying one not boneless that is non-consumption weight.  
    But if you go with a bone on roast you can remove the bones to get a nice round roast and then separately low smoke the bones for great beef back ribs.  You may have to buy a few extra ribs to make a true meal of it but great none the less.  FWIW-
    @Hntnhrd - great result right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • reinhart36
    Options
    @lousubcap - Thanks for the feedback.

The butcher is going to cut and tie the bones on.  would you recommend setting those off to the side then for a low/slow?

If they add to the presentation or "goodness" of the prime to leave them on, I'd probably go that route.  However, if they're basically wasted when cooked with the rest of the prime, then saving them for a separate cook would sound like a good idea..

Thanks again!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @reinhart36 - that is a dilemma many face.  I love beef ribs so I always end up cooking a boneless roast, however I get there.  But that's your choice.  Below is a link that may offer insights regarding the cook.   And it is about the most straight-forward cook on the planet regardless of device.  Just nail the desired finish temp and you are golden.  Above all, have fun.
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Great thread - I'm going to try the same thing for Easter and am a prime rib first-timer on the egg.

Is there a minimum size it should be to cook well?  To feed everyone, I probably only need 3 lbs, but that would be a pretty small chunk of prime.  Thinking of ordering a 5lb piece.

Do you guys tend to put it in a roasting pan?

Thanks!
    Get the biggest that will fit your egg! 

On on the grill with a drip pan -  if you're cooking hotter make sure you have a bit of an air gap between the drip pan and the plate setter as the drippings can burn giving a bad smell/smoke 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • reinhart36
    Options
    @lousubcap : Awesome, thank you much!  I'm already having fun with it almost a week in advance - making a beef broth I'll use for au jus ..  One interesting experiment with it, is that I've added about 2 cups of extremely rich chicken fat/drippings from a batch of pressure cooked wings (we made "real" boneless wings a week ago and froze the drippings) we did recently.

@Hans61 : Excellent point, thank you.  I've had that burning drippings issue before when doing turkey.  It hadn't occurred to me to put a rack or something on the plate setter to space the drip pan away with.  Outstanding - much appreciated.
  • Hans61
    Options
    A lot of people just ball up 4 little foil balls 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Great idea!  That's the ticket..  Thanks again.
  • cbr0011
    Options
    Change of plans.  Turns out the prime rib is a bit bigger.  It's 13 pounds, wife just purchased it.  I saw a video from Meathead and I will cut off much of the fat and cut out the ribs.  my guess is that the 13 pounds will be closer to a 9 pounder after trimming.  We are eating at 1:30, so as long as I take it off at 125 temp it should take about 3 hours smoking at 250.  Does that sound right? 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That sounds about right, but there are lots of variables that can affect that.  Plan on having it done about 30 mins in advance, and you can always cooler it if need be.  Track the temp too.  There is no stall and the temp gain is basically linear for the last 30 mins, so you can adjust chow time accordingly for the sides and factor in a rest period. 

But if you do one thing, place it now unwrapped in the fridge as @Eggcelsior stated to get a great crust!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    +1 
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I would allow for 4 hrs, can be held when finished like mentioned after 3.

Yeah, you could bump up the temp at 2.5 to finish, but you'll want to pull at 120 or so, allowing for a little more carryover.

My last one was slow smoasted at 200, until 120, 4.5 hours.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    That is one drool-worthy hunk of prime rib, Focker. Nice work. For the OP, I will just add that it's just straight charcoal for me with the prime rib. I don't care for smoke on prime rib, though I know others on here do. I'm sure it will be great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hans61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My only concern is if your cooking at 250 your carry over cook during the rest will likely be less than 10 degrees, but if your going to 125 it should be close enough
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • cbr0011
    Options

Thanks everyone.  If I place it in the fridge to get the crust, I was thinking of putting some sea salt on it.  Is placing it in there tonight too early, not cooking until Sunday, @Eggcelsior ?

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    If you are going with the salt, and you should, I would aim for no more than 48 hours. Use a tablespoon of kosher salt per every five pounds. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Important point. Purchase fresh Horseradish to accompany your feast. Do not try and use the old stuff that has been in your frig....way back behind the mayonnaise.

Spend the money and enjoy with a nice horseradish sauce.....or just straight up. Think fresh and potent. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    cbr0011 said:

Thanks everyone.  If I place it in the fridge to get the crust, I was thinking of putting some sea salt on it.  Is placing it in there tonight too early, not cooking until Sunday, @Eggcelsior ?

Personally, I do not salt/season it until within an hour or two of it going on the egg.  Just let it sit on a cookie rack in the fridge starting now. If you want to salt it early as a dry brine, you can but I would not go too long.  Just my opinion.  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • noveggske
    noveggske Posts: 38
    Options
    Last one i did was for christmas and It turned out magical.   We tend to not eat the ribs the same day but save those for a Sunday Sauce so we handle them a little differet.   

1. Seperate the ribs, and soak in redwine (we used zin)
    2. Rub the roast down with olive oil as a binder, injected crushed garlic about every square inch. then rubbed the ribs and roast down with finely chopped parsley, thyme, basil and sage as well as salt and pepper.  
    3. do a beef stock and wine mixture in the water pan set on the platesetter right below the grate.  
    4. slow roasted at 250 with the roast sitting on top of the ribs.  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    cbr0011 said:

No, that's fine. It's a big roast so you can go weeks. In terms of salt, I typically only do up to 24 hrs on anything, but I've gone 4 days once without issue. I would just salt the night before to make things easier for you.