Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How will it take to cook a 4 pounds brisket?

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    From light to finish my guess 5-6 hrs depending on your temp
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • paqman
    Options
    Cleaned up the egg real good.

Using a new bag of Rockwood that I picked up during my April fools Costco haul (had it shipped from firecraft at my US address).

Lit up the egg

Egg is now @ 250F

If I put the brisket on the egg now, it should be ready for diner... Crossing fingers.  Never cooked a small brisket like this.

Options
    I'm hoping you added more lump after you lit it.  That is not going to be enough.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    How much do you think you'll net after the cook?  2, 2.5 lbs?
  • paqman
    Options
    I'm hoping you added more lump after you lit it.  That is not going to be enough.
    I thought that Rockwood was forever burning lump?  :o

Good call, I may have been fine but added some more just to be sure.  Also added a block of hickory.  Small damn good right now.

Options
    Legume said:
    How much do you think you'll net after the cook?  2, 2.5 lbs?
    No idea, probably 2.5-3

hopefully not too much leftovers...

Options
    I have seen the small flats take from 1.75-2 hrs/lb at 250*F on occasion.  Just go with the feel and if your internal temp is not in the low 190's after 5-6 hrs, dial up the temp to punch it home.  It will benefit from a FTC after a few minutes on a cooling rack to stop the carry-over cooking.  
    Regarding yield, I figure on around 60% of starting weight.  50 % if looking to be conservative.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    Options
    @lousubcap I used a good part of the flat earlier this week and made burgers on naan breads.  What is left is mostly the point.  Hopefully, it will be ready just on time for diner tonight.

Options
    Thanks @paqman. When I first looked I thought it looked more like a point than a flat but those who score points are rare sightings.  The deal with the point is you will likely get a "probes like Buttah" feel before the fat has fully rendered.  It can run up to around 210*F to help with rendering the fat if time is not a concern.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    Options

Options
    Egg is now @ 300F

160F IT in the thickest part, 170F in the thinnest.

To foil or not to foil, that is the question.

Options
    Foil. IMO. Let her rest for dinner.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looking good from here.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    My guess is longer.  That looks like the thickes part of the flat. Rules like lbs /hour fly out the window here, infact they are always false.  You really need to think about the thickest crossection of meat and realize how long it will take to get that IT up to 200 F.  A 4 lbs brisket can be long and thin or really thick and those will cook very differently. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Mmmmmm, brisket point.
  • paqman
    edited April 2017
    Options
    180-185F

In a foil pan with 2 cups of beef stock and back on the egg.

Options
    Home run!

205-210F probes like butaaaah!

I removed the foil.  I can let it go uncovered in the egg for about an hour until we are ready to eat or remove, wrap it in foil and put it in the oven at warm.  Hmmm...

Options
    Awesome!  Awesome!  Awesome!

thanks for the heads up about the Costco briskets @GrateEggspectations !!!

Options
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Glad all worked out great pics!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Pick me up one of those XLs and we'll call it even.  ;)

Glad you enjoyed it. Pics look great. The meat worked out great for me. Can't wait to buy my next one (tomorrow?).

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think I'll be looking to the local butchers for brisket anymore. While I'd be willing to pay more to buy local, the quality of the meat at Costco is the reason I'd continue to buy there. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Fantastic. Great bark. That first pic is very enticing. Enjoy!
  • paqman
    Options
    I still prefer them 'pastrami' style so I will cure the other ones that I purchased last week.  That being said, it was the best brisket I ever made. The steam bath in the foil pan probably helped.  It was ready just on time, about an hour before diner so I was able to let it rest for a while before eating.

@paqman: Guess you were able to rest it in your RTIC. 

After several trials both foiling and not foiling, I think I prefer to go naked. Love the bark.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That gourmet Rockwood sure looks good.
    The food is also excellent....... 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Great result right there.  Nailed the cook.  Congrats.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Beautiful work on that one.  
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    BTW keep on buying those briskets but save some for me. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Looks great @paqman

I just picked up a flat today from RD to do early next week. Hope it turns out looking as good as yours did.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• paqman
    Options
    Plenty of lump left this morning but better be safe than sorry.