Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Washer and Dryer Opinion Request

2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2017
    yumdinger said:
    You can go see my post in the "I hate my Fridge" thread.  The conclusion, I don't want a washer that requires balancing, takes longer to clean, creates stinky water that resides near the gasket, Might get out of balance cause damage to my laundry room or my family, and most of all I don't want no STINKING Software updates for my wash machine.

I went Speed Queen 2 years ago.  It is simple and the cleaning method has worked for decades....

I think there is a place in our Tech based lives for simple straight forward mechanical products.  This be one of them.

The Speed queen washer washes my clothes, the dryer dries my clothes.  They don't look fancy and only buzzes when my clothes are done but that is ok.  I don't ever plan on buying another, this thing is built to last.
    My FL washer does none/requires none of those things. I'd be interested to see one that does fit all those stereotypes.
    Right on!!  

I have Samsung FL washer/dryer and that couldn't be further from the truth.  Not one of those stereotypes apply to us.  Stop being afraid of technology and embrace it.  In a rush, we use the speed wash.  20+ minute wash and you're golden.  No smell, just crack the door open when not in use.  Heck, my wife hasn't ironed her work clothes in 2 years.  She tosses her clothes in the dryer and sets it for the 20min wrinkle away.  It steams the clothes and it comes out perfect everytime.  Balancing or a need to rebalance what I never balanced?  Nope!  Software update?  Negative.

They've worked great for over two years and the drums are huge!  

I will say though, the SQ and Meile have my attention.  I'll look into it in about 5-10 years.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    I embrace technology in many other areas of my life.  I love technology but I have my limits.  It just happens to be that my laundering appliances are my limit.

Congrats on the Samsung they are pretty and i am glad they work for you but check out this link......

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2016/09/29/samsung-washing-machine-explodes.cnnmoney/

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    We went with a mid range set from Fisher and Paykel 10 years ago, and they still work great. It's a top load washer and front load dryer. The spin cycle on the washer is so effective the clothes don't spend much time in the dryer at all.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    One point that hasn't been discussed is service.  We bought a front load Bosch set a dozen or so years ago.  Only one place in town provided service.  First Bosch dropped the larger units from their line-up, and then, the dealer dropped the Bosch line ... no more factory backed/trained service technicians.

They are great units, but the digital screen started to have problems a few years ago.  The problems remind me of a patient with Alzheimers ... some days the screen is clear and other days it's garbled.  We've memorized the button sequence so don't need the screen, but it would be nice.  Going to ultimately solve the problem by leaving the units behind when we move.

Let me reinforce the "kill the mold" with heat and ventilation.  My wife washes our sheets on the sanitation cycle once a week ... heat.  The door is propped a couple of inches with a towel and the soap fill lid is left open when the unit is not running ... ventilation.  That has solved the odor problems.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    One point that hasn't been discussed is service.  We bought a front load Bosch set a dozen or so years ago.  Only one place in town provided service.  First Bosch dropped the larger units from their line-up, and then, the dealer dropped the Bosch line ... no more factory backed/trained service technicians.

They are great units, but the digital screen started to have problems a few years ago.  The problems remind me of a patient with Alzheimers ... some days the screen is clear and other days it's garbled.  We've memorized the button sequence so don't need the screen, but it would be nice.  Going to ultimately solve the problem by leaving the units behind when we move.

Let me reinforce the "kill the mold" with heat and ventilation.  My wife washes our sheets on the sanitation cycle once a week ... heat.  The door is propped a couple of inches with a towel and the soap fill lid is left open when the unit is not running ... ventilation.  That has solved the odor problems.
    Right here is why I get appliances from a local place that handles there own service, rather than Big Box stores. Since Sears is dying(and M. Ward is long gone) all that will be left is contracted people based on zip code which sucks if there is issues vs a local place.  Most local places have techs that are certified on the products they sell(at least mine is) as this is how they can compete with big box stores(better service vs lower price).
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    My wife has been blaming me for making the towels smell for years - I almost want to show her this thread, but then she would know about the forum.  Hmmm.

I like the idea of a mixed pair and like the idea of a simplified washer.  I could see getting a SQ washer and a samsung or other dryer.  We bought our Kenmore FL's 15 years ago (rebranded duets) and steam wasn't available but as Cazzy mentions, the wrinkle away setting would be great.  We have had to have a few repairs on them, but nothing major, a bad thermocouple in the drier, drain pump replacement and front gasket replacement in the washer, but all modest for 15 years.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    cazzy said:
    It takes 4 bricks to do this to a Speed Queen!! HA!  =)

• Eggcelsior
    Legume said:
    My wife has been blaming me for making the towels smell for years - I almost want to show her this thread, but then she would know about the forum.  Hmmm.

I like the idea of a mixed pair and like the idea of a simplified washer.  I could see getting a SQ washer and a samsung or other dryer.  We bought our Kenmore FL's 15 years ago (rebranded duets) and steam wasn't available but as Cazzy mentions, the wrinkle away setting would be great.  We have had to have a few repairs on them, but nothing major, a bad thermocouple in the drier, drain pump replacement and front gasket replacement in the washer, but all modest for 15 years.
    Do you use fabric softener? It leaves surfactant on the fibers(that's why the fabric feels softer) which "waterproofs" the fibers, decreasing absorbency and also making it harder for the towels to dry, leading to mildew. That's why I LOL at all those dumb Snuggle ads with the bear fondling the towels. That's going to stink after getting wet, Teddy Ruxpin.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Legume said:

Do you use fabric softener? It leaves surfactant on the fibers(that's why the fabric feels softer) which "waterproofs" the fibers, decreasing absorbency and also making it harder for the towels to dry, leading to mildew. That's why I LOL at all those dumb Snuggle ads with the bear fondling the towels. That's going to stink after getting wet, Teddy Ruxpin.
    It's a constant battle to keep Anne from using fabric softener on everything.  When I do the washing I never use it for towels and put the smallest drop in for a normal wash, just so I can tell her I have used it - anything for a quiet life.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    My wife loves her Samsung front loader, because it has a drain in the front to let water out that may fall between the gasket.  That per the guy at the appliance store is what causes the funky smell in our old whirlpool ones.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Legume
    Legume said:

We stopped using liquid softener.  We do use dryer sheets - same issue with those?
  • Legume
    And tbh, we don't often have that towel smell issue, usually when a load was left in the washer too long and moved to the dryer without rewashing.  Apparently not everyone has a working nose, or knows how to use it.  I need the washer = move someone else's stuff now
  • Eggcelsior
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

We stopped using liquid softener.  We do use dryer sheets - same issue with those?
    Yes. They have the surfactant impregnated in the sheet and it is release by heat. Rub a fresh sheet between your fingers and you'll get a greasy feeling from it. It's fine on clothes, just not towels or washcloths.
  • Legume
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

Yes. They have the surfactant impregnated in the sheet and it is release by heat. Rub a fresh sheet between your fingers and you'll get a greasy feeling from it. It's fine on clothes, just not towels or washcloths.
    Some people like to rub those dryer sheets, well, that's what I heard anyway.

Good info, thanks @Eggcelsior
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    edited April 2017
    kl8ton said:
    We went thru a few new washers until my wife found one she liked.  Top loader with agitator. Can't remember the brand/model at this time as it is in storage during a remodel.  Currently living in the in laws house that has a front loader. It stinks up the whole main floor when in use.  It needs the filmy grime wiped out of the door seal every other day.   It runs non stop.  
    Do you leave the door open when not in use? 

Run one(or a few) of the Affresh tabs through it and a load of towels or something with the hottest water setting. That will help abate some of the mold causing the odor. Leaving the door open(even a crack, which is how I do mine) allows everything to dry out, including the gasket, where that crap is growing. My parents had the first Maytag Neptune and this happened(smell, black spots). Leaving the door ajar fixed the issue. I do it on my Duet and have never had an issue in the now 5 years that we've had it. We also have it running daily due to me wearing scrubs for work and the kids. Some of the gaskets pull out so you can wipe behind them as well.

Lastly, and this is probably the biggest thing for FL washers besides leaving the door ajar, what kind of detergent do you use? If it's liquid, this could be a large part of your problem, as liquid detergents leave a residue on your drum and gasket(especially with cold water washes, which most are). I only run powder detergent in mine, along with no fabric softener(same problem). This also helps eliminate the mildew-y smell towels get when wet(which sucks after taking a shower!) as the liquid detergent and softener coat the towels and decrease absorbency, while also inhibiting drying ability. If this occurs, just run the towels through the wash with hot water. That will get the residue out of the fibers. I have done next to no maintenance on my FL beyond the Affresh tabs and replacing the hoses after 5 years to braided metal ones. My set-up is a second floor closet off of the guest bath, so the FL is perfect since it is so much quieter than top loaders.

I have done way too much research on washers after having a top load with agitator tear up my scrubs(which gets exceedingly expensive since I am tall so I need to order brands that sell XLT which are typically premium brands) every 6 months or so. Since getting the FL washer, I haven't needed to by new scrubs which has saved me at least $1000 on top of water savings. The next one I'll likely get is a Bosch or Miele euro-style, since they tap the dryer's 220 circuit so the heater can get the water up near boiling, which is best to keep your whites from getting dingy. I go through a ton of undershirts too.

Yes we leave the door open.  It won't stay open a crack, it is spring loaded or something so it stays open all the way (into the hallway obstructing passersby and preventing the laundry area door to close) We use a minimal amount of liquid soap.  My wife makes her own laundry soap.  Most of the cycles will not let us get the water to max temp. If we do, those cycles take over an hour and 45 minutes to do a single load.  The dryer is stacked on top of the washer.  Try to get everything out of the washer and into the dryer without dropping something on the floor.  With a top loader if you drop something as you are lifting the laundry, it goes back in the washer.  Either way only about a month left and we can get back to our top loader.  Thank you for the ideas!  I feel we have a ton of time into researching and actually buying 3 different brand new washers to try them.  It is funny how we end up with different results/products.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited April 2017
    @RedSkip said:
    "Side Note:  If you are doing a few upgrades, may want to put a dryer vent bird guard on the exterior of your house.  I had a bird build a nest in my dryer vent all the way inside the dryer itself.  Too bad my wife caught him off guard, and he wound up in the blower exhaust fan.  Had to use Vise Grips to get his head out, those skulls are tough and will stop the blower form spinning!"

(I don't know how to get a quote in here, somebody please explain.)

I had rats at one time and the pest control guy told me to put screening over the dryer vent on the outside because they will crawl up in there. I cut out a square of screening and secure it to the vent opening with an adjustable metal worm gear clamp. Works fine but I have to clean out the lint regularly on the outside of the house--don't want a fire. The clamp slides off easily and fits right back on the vent tube over the piece of screening.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Top loader, a buddy owns an appliance repair company and he nd I worked together in the commercial dishwashing business for 20 years.
    He says if they are in a laundry room check k Sears appliance center for science scratch and dent , we did and saved $80 bucks, that is a brisket, 2 Boston butts and  bunch of ribs !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    RedSkip said:
    @Fred19Flintstone

I'd suggest getting a top load washer.  Due to the axis the washer spins on, front vs top, the front load washers tend to throw an eccentric load which can mess with 2 story construction...my laundry room is on the 2nd floor.  Granted the newer designs compensate for this non-uniform loading, but I'm not sure how well.

A top load will spin the clothes in the x-axis around the center of the drum and won't provide the uneven loading on the floor joints.

Also, get something that fits your needs.  If you don't use the delicates, gentle, steam press cycles, then stay away from those add-ons.  They'll just cost you money in the future and it won't be utilized.  Lastly, the aesthetic look of a washer/dryer are fairly fancy these days.  My take is, these units aren't on display of the neighborhood, so why buy something fancy.

1.  Function/Practical
    2.  Cost
    3.  Aesthetics

Just my $0.02...

Side Note:  If you are doing a few upgrades, may want to put a dryer vent bird guard on the exterior of your house.  I had a bird build a nest in my dryer vent all the way inside the dryer itself.  Too bad my wife caught him off guard, and he wound up in the blower exhaust fan.  Had to use Vise Grips to get his head out, those skulls are tough and will stop the blower form spinning!   :o

- Skip
    I think you mean the "z" axis for the top load. 

There's a reason why commercial washers are front load.  It's better.  Cleans better with less detergent/water/heat/energy.  You're right about the unbalanced load issue.  Gravity makes it worse in a front load.  Other than that, the front loaders are superior. 

Fred - (and everyone with a front loader) - leave the door open after washing a load so it dries and you will never get a musty smell.
    Stay the hell away from GE brand products...went through 3 in 3 years under warranty replacement / repair ( each subsequent model warranted for one year )
  • DuckDogDr said:
    Stay the hell away from GE brand products...went through 3 in 3 years under warranty replacement / repair ( each subsequent model warranted for one year )
    You must not have read my "modern GE appliances are crap" comment earlier.  Don't worry.  We'll stay away from them.
    Flint, Michigan