Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about a pellet grill to add

Options
2»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    The Traegers have really improved their game in the last three years. I wouldn't hesitate to have one on my deck. The Memphis is kinda a league apart from the rest IMO. The Yoder looks like a great unit, but I haven't massed with them personally. I am confident from their reputation and what I've seen online that they are excellent. This new Traeger is a game changer for them IMO. 
    http://www.traegergrills.com/timberline.html
    of course most of these aren't very portable. Traeger does make a tailgater with folding legs too, but not wifi. Good luck. 
    They have upped/innovated their game, kudos to the folks at Traeger.

Double wall is bigly.
    Techy peeps will go ape about the built-in controller, WiFIRE.  The SS, cutting board touches are nice.  

Good to see companies like Traeger and PK pushing forward, stagnation sucks.

For sh!ts and giggles Pete, what's the retail on the Timberline 1300?  

@2K and the 850 is 1600 I think. We can't get them til May/June.

Perspective wise, that's less than 1/2 a Memphis. I haven't played with it really, but we kicked the tires at the show. The app looks pretty comprehensive for the WiFire.
    Thanks.  The Memphis line must be solid.  Look forward to checking those out in June. 

2Gs isn't bad for the Timberline.  One of the pulmonolgists I work with has a Traeger, he loves it.
    I cook on one at the store for demos etc. I don't have one at home, but that might change soon. It's not live fire cooking, but it does a good job on lots of stuff. TBH, I like ribs off the traeger, A LOT. The grill grates virtually eliminate the searing issue for the pellet grills. Obviously, like all cookers, they do some things better than others. They are not as versatile as an Egg, but a nice addition for sure. The Memphis is just a tank. The fit and finish are way above all others in the category. They are par with the high end gassers. The performance matches the finish too. It's deep water for those.

I'm trying to hook up with a brewer for the fest. We are pretty friendly with the owner of Bent. I'm not a huge consumer of beer any longer, so I'm not very familiar with their products. I would gladly get more familiar though! LOL!
    Teaming up with Bent would be epic Pete!  I may need to pass out behind the shop. Lol

Bumped into the Brewmaster at Hy Vee in the craft beer section.  We chatted for a bit, and he recommended a couple of great beers, super nice guy.  Their Mississippi Blonde is my favorite pale ale, Oatmeal Stout is great too, love pepper stout beef with it.  Jingle Java is a Christmastime QC staple.  They were cranking out craft beers long before the craft beer craze.  Their 20th Anniversary is this year, Front Street Brewery in Davenport is celebrating their 25th this year...pretty cool.
    We will see, it may or may not make sense for them. There is a lot of traffic on the roadway and they have Gus Macker down the road on the same day.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

Have cooked on Traegers for past 12 years.  Just sold my 3rd one (made in China) as my dealer got tired of replacing parts, and the 3 year warranty just expired.  Quality has gone down hill a lot when they moved overseas.  I cook 4 days/week outdoors, and everyone that's tried my food raves over the cooks on the BGE.  The pellet grills dry out the food somewhat due to the large amount of airflow to keep pellets burning.  Great for lots of burgers, brats, and bacon cooks that require large grill area.

Bought the Flame Boss 300 last week and can't believe what that product has done for my BGE.  It's made it so easy to manage cooks that I decided to sell off most of my other grills. So far this week I have sold the Treager 075 for $500, my Cookshack Smoker 025 for $400, and my Yoder YS 640 for $1350.  I'm down to cooking on the BGE XL w/FB300, and a little Weber charcoal kettle for quick lunches.

We have the largest US distributor for Traeger here in Hays KS, and they are hoping the new WiFi models help with their slumping sales. Their showroom has gas grills and Blackstones now, as the Traegers sales have decreased since moving manufacturing to China, and marketing via Cosco and internet.

Yoder Smoker (Yoder KS) is only 2.5 hours away, and their sales are booming.  A great USA grill (built like a tank), and shipping everyone in the world.  My YS-640 was built for competition (HEAVY STEEL that burns a LOT of pellets), but not really economial for nightly cooks.  The Cookshack Fast Eddy's are much more fuel efficient, and my buddy's Memphis is the Mercedes of pellet cookers.  Lot's of choices, but don't assume any of the pellet grills will produce food as good as the Kamado's....they won't.

As far as convenience, the pellet grills are a "no brainer" to cook on.  I just got tired of replacing parts, and having them "die" during a big cook and not having the food ready when everyone shows up.  That's a bummer, and I don't have to worry when cooking on the BGE.

And realize that your fuel costs will be 4 times the price of cooking on your BGE.  I purchased 3 pallets from Seth at Lumberjack pellets per year to keep those hungry pellet grills running.

• pgprescott
    Options

Have cooked on Traegers for past 12 years.  Just sold my 3rd one (made in China) as my dealer got tired of replacing parts, and the 3 year warranty just expired.  Quality has gone down hill a lot when they moved overseas.  I cook 4 days/week outdoors, and everyone that's tried my food raves over the cooks on the BGE.  The pellet grills dry out the food somewhat due to the large amount of airflow to keep pellets burning.  Great for lots of burgers, brats, and bacon cooks that require large grill area.

Bought the Flame Boss 300 last week and can't believe what that product has done for my BGE.  It's made it so easy to manage cooks that I decided to sell off most of my other grills. So far this week I have sold the Treager 075 for $500, my Cookshack Smoker 025 for $400, and my Yoder YS 640 for $1350.  I'm down to cooking on the BGE XL w/FB300, and a little Weber charcoal kettle for quick lunches.

We have the largest US distributor for Traeger here in Hays KS, and they are hoping the new WiFi models help with their slumping sales. Their showroom has gas grills and Blackstones now, as the Traegers sales have decreased since moving manufacturing to China, and marketing via Cosco and internet.

Yoder Smoker (Yoder KS) is only 2.5 hours away, and their sales are booming.  A great USA grill (built like a tank), and shipping everyone in the world.  My YS-640 was built for competition (HEAVY STEEL that burns a LOT of pellets), but not really economial for nightly cooks.  The Cookshack Fast Eddy's are much more fuel efficient, and my buddy's Memphis is the Mercedes of pellet cookers.  Lot's of choices, but don't assume any of the pellet grills will produce food as good as the Kamado's....they won't.

As far as convenience, the pellet grills are a "no brainer" to cook on.  I just got tired of replacing parts, and having them "die" during a big cook and not having the food ready when everyone shows up.  That's a bummer, and I don't have to worry when cooking on the BGE.

And realize that your fuel costs will be 4 times the price of cooking on your BGE.  I purchased 3 pallets from Seth at Lumberjack pellets per year to keep those hungry pellet grills running.

The Traeger sales in our area have more than tripled since they upgraded all their products a couple years ago. We were in the process of dropping them and going another direction but I'm glad we didn't now.  I wish they still made them in US , but that ship has sailed. The pellet grill market is through the roof. Maybe you've noticed everyone is making them.  That said, they ain't the best and they ain't the worst. They aren't a Kamado and a Kamado isn't a pellet cooker. If I had just one cooker it would likely be a Kamado. It's the most versatile cooker around.  There is a place for many others. Imo.   
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've never owned or cooked on a pellet pooper.   I know they operate like a egg with controller, and I know people like the convenience of the pellets.  Am I overlooking other benifits?

To those who have cooked on them, would you say the smoke  profile better than an egg? 

Phoenix 
  • BierMugg
    BierMugg Posts: 42
    Options
    Last January 2016 I brought a Memphis Pro Pellet grill. I had a ton of credit card points so i basically got the grill for free from a large retail store. It took 1.5 months to get. Delivery was a nightmare. Even contacted Memphis Grill to see what the problem was.  Grill is built like a tank.  Shortly after i received the grill the 2016 model with WiFi came out. Also the newer version had storage drawers in the side selves. I contacted the company and asked to BUY the WiFi upgrade and or the side shelves. Was told NO they do not sell either one as a package.  As far as the grill goes it works well temp control very accurate. Cooks ok but it has a lot to do with the pellets. I tried a lot of pellet brands and really could not get the smoke flavor i wanted. Its like a outdoor oven. A lot of people swear by them. I was not sold. 
    I liked the pellet grill so much I brought a large egg in December
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I just sparked up the GMG for the season last night for some burgers.

I got it late fall last year and only did 2 cooks on it, a rack of pork my first cook, and 6 butts for the true test. Aside from the fire from all the grease the butts dropped all was good. just as good as the egg IMHO. The advantage for me was I did 6 butts and not 3. I needed the extra playing surface.

Now the burgers last night were great. My wife commented that they were "super good". I will also admit they were pretty tasty. Putting in a couple racks of ribs this weekend for another test as I have a staff BBQ for 30 ppl coming up in a month and want to run a few racks through it.

For my limited exposure to the GMG Jim Bowie, it has met all expectations so far.

• BierMugg
    BierMugg Posts: 42
    Options
    What brand of pellets are you using ?  What ever i use i do not get the smoke taste even close to charcoal 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    There is (was?) a warranty center for Green Mountain Grills in Spokane. Talked to the staff there, had very few if any units returned. Still thinking about getting one. Have you looked at Louisiana Pellet Grills? Or Rec Tec? Rec Tecs are a bit spendy...spent some time talking with a few folks who are die hard pellet pooper folks...they had 0 negative things to say about the Rec Tec units....other than the $$. Last I looked Rec Tec doesn't have a dealer network...but Amazon sells them...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My neighbor, down the road, had a pellet smoker. Sold his after having brisket at my house, and saw how simple and easy it was to cook with.
    When he saw how much lump was left over from a 14 hour cook, and the taste of the pecan smoke flavor, he could not believe it.
    The big motivation for his purchase, was the brisket pizza we made the next time he came to visit. He sold his pellet smoker, soon after. Got about a third of what he asked for it. He was trying to sell it for 75% of what he paid. I suppose some future BGE owner got a good deal.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'd go yoder.
    Seattle, WA
  • hondabbq
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I looked at Rec Tec, none in Canada, they ship but didn't like not having a place to go to for service. Price was an issue too. I looked at Louisiana as well, but I liked the lower starting point of the GMG at 150F not 180F. Yoder was in the same boat as rec tec
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Don't know where you are located but we carry Smokin Brothers Pellet grills along with Big Green Eggs. Smokin Brothers pellet grills are the best that I have seen/used. Check em out online
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • littlerascal56
    Options

After owning a Yoder and many brands of pellet grills, I can vouch the Yoder is the best built one out there (and the best controller built). They just take a lot of pellets to heat that huge mass of metal, and take more time to cool down. They do not lose much heat when you open the lid.  These are not issues with the guys that cook lots of food in the competitions!  If you just want to crank the knob, throw on some meat, and get it done fast....the cheap grills are what you want.  They cool off fast (thin sheetmetal) and don't burn a lot of pellets.

But don't expect much smoke flavor from any of the pellet grills. They can't produce that, as the pellets burn too completely with the fan pushing all that air thru the burn pot.  The food off my pellet grills taste a lot like I baked it in the oven.  That includes pizza's on the pellet grill.  Might as well make those in the oven and save your pellets.

Now pizza on the egg is quite a different story.  Same goes for steak, spatchcock chicken, pork butts, ribs, brisket...now I know why I sold my pellet grills!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    My buddy has a Louisiana pellet pusher and he puts out some really good grub. He's a tightass so I know the quality/price ratio was excellent. 
  • blasting
    Options
    @littlerascal56  That was the perspective I was looking for.  Thanks.  Especially since you owned a Yoder and others.  I think that Yoder YS1500 on the comp cart is pretty cool looking.

However, if they don't come close to a stickburner in terms of smoke profile, I don't have any interest.
    Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Never owned a pellet grill but if you want a smoke profile then the tool for the job is a stick-burner.  Definitely not a fire and forget operation, but will achieve your desired objective.  Every cooking rig has a strong suit in a particular area.  The one that is at the top of your list is the way you should go.    And don't look back...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • littlerascal56
    Options

I just saw a couple of YS 1500's in orange, getting ready to ship.  AWESOME looking pits for sure!

Stickburners make me drool....plan to buld a custom next year after I retire from the electric utility. Since my background is electrical (steam power plants), I want to mod it with a controller and fan/remote control and monitor the fire and cook from inside my shop.

• blasting
    Options

I was just trying to keep an open mind with the pellet grills.   Stickburner is where I'm most comfortable - I like managing my own fire - it's my happy place.  I've got a lousy one now, with plans to build my own in the future.

You still having fun with the Lang @lousubcap ?
    Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    You guys realize these pellet cookers win tons of BBQ comps. I know, "that's just one bite bbq"! Sure. 

I wonder what the breakdown down is by type of cooker on the circuit?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    @blasting -  absolutely enjoying the whole fire management challenge.  Did not back off thru the winter but appreciated the Ground Hog forgetting he saw his shadow and bequeathed the light winter and early spring.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hondabbq
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I get lots of smoke off of mine. The lower you start the cook the more smoke the pellets produce. cooking at 350+ the smoke flavor diminishes rapidly going even higher. cooking at lower temps 200-225 for an hour or 2 will produce better smoke profiles. If you want to set it and forget it, pellet grills can do that, but if you want to use it to its potential then you have to work at it.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    ,,,,,,,,Have you looked at Louisiana Pellet Grills? Or Rec Tec? ...
    I decided on the LG series of Louisiana Pellet Grills for our store.  Couple reason why.  
     - no smoke stack, so it doesn't look like a smoker in the backyard.  Funny requirement but it keeps the wife happy;
     - heavier cooking grates than the competition,  porcelain coated cast iron,  it's the one thing used on every cook.
     - the sliding slotted tray for high temps is a good feature.
     - seems heavier build than the competition.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    tjv said:
    dougcrann said:
    ,,,,,,,,Have you looked at Louisiana Pellet Grills? Or Rec Tec? ...
    I decided on the LG series of Louisiana Pellet Grills for our store.  Couple reason why.  
     - no smoke stack, so it doesn't look like a smoker in the backyard.  Funny requirement but it keeps the wife happy;
     - heavier cooking grates than the competition,  porcelain coated cast iron,  it's the one thing used on every cook.
     - the sliding slotted tray for high temps is a good feature.
     - seems heavier build than the competition.

t
    That sliding tray is a genius idea IMO. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I see a lot of discussion about pellet grills not having a good smoke profile. I can't offer any direct experience on the grills, but I recently purchased a Cookshack FEC 120 pellet smoker. I haven't had any problems getting a good smoke profile. I will say that the Cookshack stays in the thin blue smoke zone the majority of the cook time. It does produce more smoke at the lower temps that are ideal for low and slow cooking.
    I use the smoke enhancer box from Cookshack to burn hickory chunks in if I want a stronger smoke flavor.

I love my egg, but its harder to cook 150# of pork butts on it. 
    The egg is a great cooker, but I have always struggled when I wanted to cook for a lot of people.