Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forward Sear Prime Ribeye

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
No more reverse seat for me.

Split a 1 1/2 in thick bone in prime ribeye with my better half tonight. Used the Woo 2 and stainless rack just above the lump.
Salt and Pepper, seared 3 mins per side at 600 and then opened the lid for a final sear on each side.
I used the Thermapen to check the temp after 6 minutes and pulled at 135.

This is what was left of my wife's portion as I
had already devoured my half. 

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited April 2017
    Options
    NICE !! Steak is my go to " quick " cook meal . 2" thick , freezer to hot water thaw until hot tub temp reached. Seared until it looks just like yours :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    That's perfection. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks great.  After the sear did you switch to indirect cooking or lower the temp...or was it finished cooking after the 3 minutes per side? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

good lookin' steak!

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dstearn
    Options
    It looks great.  After the sear did you switch to indirect cooking or lower the temp...or was it finished cooking after the 3 minutes per side? 
    After 6 mins direct with the dome closed I seared each side for a minute on each side dome open. Steak rested for 10-15 minutes after.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That steak looks WONDERFUL!!!

Terminology obviously is not the point, but results, and your results look fantastic!  But I think when most people talk about "reverse sear" or "forward sear," they're talking about a low-and-slow cook plus a very hot and very sort sear, and it's just which order those are in.  So I think most folks would call "forward sear" (a lot of Eggers used to call that "T-rex") would be a very short sear at 600° or more, but then taking the steak OUT of the Egg altogether until the Egg cools down to 275° or so, and then putting the steak back in for a low-and-slow cook to whatever internal temp you want.  It works great, but the problem with "forward sear" is that it takes FOREVER for the BGE to cool down to low-and-slow temps.  I used to swear by that method, but once I tried reverse sear (low-and-slow cook followed by very hot, very short sear), I realized how much easier it is than waiting for a really, really hot Egg to cool down to 275° or so.  If I have a really thick steak, reverse sear is what I do, now.

You did a high-temperature cook, which I think a lot of folks would call "hot and fast," not "forward sear."  That's what I prefer if the steak isn't too thick.  If it's 1" or less, I cook it at around 600° and flip it frequently.

Again, who cares what you call it, though -- that's one GREAT looking steak!!!
  • dstearn
    Options
    Theophan said:
    That steak looks WONDERFUL!!!

Terminology obviously is not the point, but results, and your results look fantastic!  But I think when most people talk about "reverse sear" or "forward sear," they're talking about a low-and-slow cook plus a very hot and very sort sear, and it's just which order those are in.  So I think most folks would call "forward sear" (a lot of Eggers used to call that "T-rex") would be a very short sear at 600° or more, but then taking the steak OUT of the Egg altogether until the Egg cools down to 275° or so, and then putting the steak back in for a low-and-slow cook to whatever internal temp you want.  It works great, but the problem with "forward sear" is that it takes FOREVER for the BGE to cool down to low-and-slow temps.  I used to swear by that method, but once I tried reverse sear (low-and-slow cook followed by very hot, very short sear), I realized how much easier it is than waiting for a really, really hot Egg to cool down to 275° or so.  If I have a really thick steak, reverse sear is what I do, now.

You did a high-temperature cook, which I think a lot of folks would call "hot and fast," not "forward sear."  That's what I prefer if the steak isn't too thick.  If it's 1" or less, I cook it at around 600° and flip it frequently.

Again, who cares what you call it, though -- that's one GREAT looking steak!!!
    Thanks, the term Forward Sear was just my play on words with the Reverse Sear. :-) The dome temp was 600. I took the steak off to check the internal temp, set the steak back on for a minute and then opened the dome to get a quick sear on each side. I have tried the reverse sear in the past. My preference is just to go the hot and fast route.
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Love it.  Thx for sharing

BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    You nailed it!!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"