Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the Best Blackstone griddle out there?

2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    This may help put things into perspective...
    17=12K BTUs
    28= 30K
    36=60K

I'm far from a thermodynamics expert, and know just enough to be dangerous, but does heat rise with a big a$$ chunk of steel in it's way?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    If I wanted to worry about something I'd be more concerned about the heat from the griddle blowing up the 1lb gas bomb designed to be just a couple inches from its side than burning a table surface a couple inches below it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have the big stainless 4-burner blackstone griddle.  It works fine.  As far as griddles go, it doesn't perform anywhere near commercial griddles, which cost a small fortune and have heavy 3/4" (round abouts) thick slabs of steel for the cooking surface. 

The blackstone has hot spots under all the burners.  You learn to work around it.  Also it cools down relatively quickly because of the lack of thermal mass.

That said, it does the job, and for the price you aren't going to do much better with another brand.
    RRP said:
    Oh sh*t! I bought that 17" today assuming it was safe on a picnic table or in my case sitting on my wooden side shelf. Now do I have to buy some heat shield to sit it on? Please advise as I may just try to cancel this purchase! Or should I build some framework to sit the BS on to straddle my large egg? 
    I used our 17" all football season on plastic and wood table tops with no issues at all.  The sides and bottom of the 17" do get warm (ok, almost hot) but the table top was fine.  No need to worry at all.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I have the 17" and love it.  I want the bigger one for a permanent griddle, and we can use the smaller one for camping.  The little guy works well, but more cooking area allows for simultaneous cooks, like burgers, onions, buns, etc.  Philly cheesesteaks, etc they all benefit from cooking all the ingredients at the same time.   

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    you made the right choice Jason.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I would like to get the 36' model, but I got this for Christmas 2 years ago and have one used it once and the wife wouldn't understand I think. 

I liked the Little Griddle Kettle, because I could sear the meat first then finish on the grill while cooking other things.

Pro for the BS:

I believe I would use the Blackstone 36" more since all I would have to do is turn the gas on.  

I could cook more food on it the the Kettle.

Can be used pretty much year round.

It is portable.

Great for party's and a great addition to the egg.

Con for the BS:

I would have to get a propane bottle again and that is a big reason I got the egg to not need propane.

It will take up more room on my patio.

What do I do with the Little Kettle?  (Could give to neighbor who has a large egg.

What's the clean up like on the BS?  I take it a cover is must?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I would like to get the 36' model, but I got this for Christmas 2 years ago and have one used it once and the wife wouldn't understand I think. 

I liked the Little Griddle Kettle, because I could sear the meat first then finish on the grill while cooking other things.

I bought my GriddleQ about 2 months before they came out with that circular one that you have. It is handy and works in my large egg. Just the same I ordered that BS 17 yesterday. This GQ model weighs more than the BS 17!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    I wrote to BS a while back and asked them if I could use the 17 on a glass top patio table. They said...

"We have not done a lot of testing about cooking on glass. We have cooked on a plastic surface have not noticed any damage so I would not think there would be too much damage to your glass top. If you are highly concerned I would check the temperature periodically or place the griddle on a wood cutting board."
    i have done this on a wooden cutting board indoors ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hi everybody
    getting ready to pull the trigger on a black stone 36"
    walmart has them here for 278 dollars,any better prices now than that?  Thanks for ny imput
  • BryanLyle
    BryanLyle Posts: 40
    Hi everybody
    getting ready to pull the trigger on a black stone 36"
    walmart has them here for 278 dollars,any better prices now than that?  Thanks for ny imput
    $237 at Amazon right now. 
  • Wow. Thanks pal!!
  • Now I see walmart is showing 237 on line
    the flyer from Sunday's paper said 278
    a person has do do his homework I guess
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    RRP said:
    Oh sh*t! I bought that 17" today assuming it was safe on a picnic table or in my case sitting on my wooden side shelf. Now do I have to buy some heat shield to sit it on? Please advise as I may just try to cancel this purchase! Or should I build some framework to sit the BS on to straddle my large egg? 
    @RRP I have a 17" that I take with me to football games to tailgate.  I use 4 ceramic tiles that I put on top of a card table that has a vinyl covering.  Never have had a problem with the 17" melting the vinyl with the tiles there.  Might a solution if you have some leftover tile or are able to buy some cheap tile squares.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Focker said:
    Does BS advise using the BSs without legs?
    That's an awful lot of heat on high, with nowhere to go, especially on wood.  My shelf on the 28 picks up heat.  Be careful @Jeremiah.
    I think I clocked 140F on that shelf below the BS. I only keep metal pans and such there.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    If you have amazon prime it is free 2 day shipping. Or like 8 for next day. If you don't, let me know, I would be happy to order it for you. Unfortunately I am not able to get many more at the price I mentioned and have already been contacted by some people who wanted them. 

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Wife asked to use my truck... I asked why... she said shut up and give me the keys.

• michigan_jason
    Now the clock starts....lets unpack and cook!

• michigan_jason

• michigan_jason
    This cooking surface is going to be epic. Imagine all the activities!

• michigan_jason

• michigan_jason
    Ok, im just going to put some venison on... then add some fat to season it. I cannot wait. 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    28" is more than enough for a family of 4......
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    36 is the way to go. You will use all the room...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I wrote to BS a while back and asked them if I could use the 17 on a glass top patio table. They said...

"We have not done a lot of testing about cooking on glass. We have cooked on a plastic surface have not noticed any damage so I would not think there would be too much damage to your glass top. If you are highly concerned I would check the temperature periodically or place the griddle on a wood cutting board."
    i have done this on a wooden cutting board indoors ;)
    @fishlessman, you use it indoors? They specifically tell you not to though I really don't understand why it's any different that a gas stove.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    If you have amazon prime it is free 2 day shipping. Or like 8 for next day. If you don't, let me know, I would be happy to order it for you. Unfortunately I am not able to get many more at the price I mentioned and have already been contacted by some people who wanted them. 
    Thanks, I have Amazon Prime, but it is back up to $297 and I don't think my wife will say yes to another toy right now.  Most of our money is going into building a home theater and finishing the basement right now.  My Little Griddle will have to do for now.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.