Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT First Hole in One

Options

To give a little back ground, I am 30 years old and have playing golf since I was 10.  When I saying playing golf, I mean avidly playing my entire life.  I have an index just about scratch but after many, many close calls I thought it would never happen...just not meant to be.  That all changed last night when I stepped up on a 290 yard uphill par 4.   I knew I had hit it well and when we couldn't find it near the green I just happened to walk by the hole and look in to see my callaway chrome soft in the bottom of the cup!  What a rush that was!  Has anyone else here had one!?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats! Now you have to buy us all drinks. 

@platypusrex is also a member of the club.  
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182150/ot-first-hole-in-one/p1

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Haven't had a 290 yarder! Nice Albatross.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    PS. You owe me a drink.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• bradk31
    bradk31 Posts: 48
    Options
    that marks my third double eagle...just the first one that was also an ace
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Congrats on a great accomplishment. I've been as close as you can be without holing out. 1/4 of the ball was hanging over the hole. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I hit a 160yd ace about 20 years ago.  The starter had just pulled up to ask us to pair up with another group, so he witnessed it too.  That was cool,
    NOLA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Congrats!!!!!

I’ve had one, BUT NOT ON A PAR 4!  Nice work!

Mine is kind of the same story as yours.  Mine was a 170yd par 3 facing west at dusk.  Everything about it was normal, just lost the ball in the sun and started looking around the green, back side, first cut of rough, etc.  Buddy walks over to the hole and says, “I’m gonna take a look just in case.”  And sure enough my ball was in the cup.  So while, it was a hole in one, I didn’t get the excitement or joy of actually seeing it.  I’ll still take it though!

Congrats again on having a nice game and getting that hole in one!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Time to start playing a tougher course than one that has a 290 yard par 4, and you with a 0 handicap. Congrats.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2017
    Options

Congratulations!!! not just a hole in one but a double eagle or albatross.

I've had two. The first at Coronado in San Diego #15 a four iron from about 180 yds none of us saw it go in as the green is elevated about 6 feet. Six months later at Torrey Pines' south course #3 an 8 iron shot hit the hill to the right side and bounded straight left 70 feet into the hole. These were both in '89 when I had a 3hcp. I am now 61 and have not played in 17 years cause of health issues, damn I miss it.

When I was a PGA Professional, (graduated from GPTP in 2002) a perk is getting in free at the Masters, was there in '04 and '08, oh my!

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Wow congrats. My best effort was like a hole in 12.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    None here. Close but no cigar. Congrats! Really cuts down the putts per round average hey?
  • bradk31
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Time to start playing a tougher course than one that has a 290 yard par 4, and you with a 0 handicap. Congrats.

this was just a quick 9 after work.  I am a member of one of the top 5 public courses in the state.  And tough it is.  In saying that, it has a 290 yard par 4 on it as well...woods left and woods right and cliff behind..but still, 290 yards!  If you golf much, you will soon learn that yardage is not everything.  Even the pga tour has drivable par 4s on some holes.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My lone ace is similar to yours, except for the significant difference in yardage. Jan. 31, 1995, Weisinger Hiils in Shelbyville, Ky.

Seventh hole was an uphill, 184-yarder on which you could see only the top two-thirds of the stick from the tee. Hit a 4-iron directly at the pin. Walking to the hole, when I could finally see the green, the ball wasn't visible. I figured it hit hard and was behind the green. A 5-minute search left me pissed because I couldn't find the ball after hitting such a pure shot.

For the heck of it, I peeked into the cup. Bingo!

Other than not actually being able to see the ball go into the cup, the only downside was I was playing as a single that day (in fact, I think there might have been only a half-dozen other people on the course). Nevertheless, heck of a thrill.

Congratulations!

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• bradk31
    Options
    My lone ace is similar to yours, except for the significant difference in yardage. Jan. 31, 1995, Weisinger Hiils in Shelbyville, Ky.

Seventh hole was an uphill, 184-yarder on which you could see only the top two-thirds of the stick from the tee. Hit a 4-iron directly at the pin. Walking to the hole, when I could finally see the green, the ball wasn't visible. I figured it hit hard and was behind the green. A 5-minute search left me pissed because I couldn't find the ball after hitting such a pure shot.

Other than not actually being able to see the ball go into the cup, the only downside was I was playing as a single that day (in fact, I think there might have been only a half-dozen other people on the course). Nevertheless, heck of a thrill.

Congratulations!

I enjoy Weisinger Hills.  Have you ever had the chance to play Dale Hollow?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In my spare time, I volunteer st TPC Deere Run in Silvis.  They call me "Sasquatch".

Wearing a ghillie suit, I wait patiently under cover, tracking the balls coming in.  At the perfect moment, I run out of the brush, grab the ball, drop it in the hole, and quickly take cover.  Quite an adreneline rush, and it's life changing...a win-win in my book.

In all seriousness congrats.  I know how hard that accomplishment is.  I have yet to ace playing frolf, come close though.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I had my ball go in the cup on the fly then bounce out for a 8" putt.  Left a half moon cut on the edge of the cup.  I was happy and mad at the same time.  Probably as close as I'll ever get.

Congrats!!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    bradk31 said:

Congratulations!

I enjoy Weisinger Hills.  Have you ever had the chance to play Dale Hollow?
    We've not lived in Louisville since 1996, so if it's a new course, no. If the course was known by another name when we lived there, maybe.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• bradk31
    Options
    no, it was built in 2000 I believe.  Fantastic course.  Its 2 hours from Louisville though.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Brad, that's a heck of a hole in one!  You didn't take the easy way for sure.

I had one - the ugliest hole in one you've ever seen.  It was a 163 yd hole.  Instead of getting under the ball, I gave it a smiley face.  It worm burned all the way to the hole and dropped in.  Ugly as it gets, and witnessed by a crowd no less.  I was happy and embarrassed at the same time.

Phoenix 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Only hole in one for me has been in mini golf and golden tee. I have multiple hole in one's in golden tee. 

Similar to that however, I do have multiple 300 games in bowling along with some 800 series. I would say they are the same rush for sure. 

Congrats man!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    bradk31 said:
    hondabbq said:

this was just a quick 9 after work.  I am a member of one of the top 5 public courses in the state.  And tough it is.  In saying that, it has a 290 yard par 4 on it as well...woods left and woods right and cliff behind..but still, 290 yards!  If you golf much, you will soon learn that yardage is not everything.  Even the pga tour has drivable par 4s on some holes.
    I wholeheartedly agree, and I do golf a lot since I was 8 and I am 45 now. Im not a scratch golfer but my 6 will do me. I have had a couple lookers but none that went in. Again congrats.
  • bradk31
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    bradk31 said:
    hondabbq said:

I wholeheartedly agree, and I do golf a lot since I was 8 and I am 45 now. Im not a scratch golfer but my 6 will do me. I have had a couple lookers but none that went in. Again congrats.

Thanks!  And I'm not scratch either anymore.  At one time I had a plus index, but work and kids have gotten in the way of practice.  I still get to play once a week or so and typically take a week vegas vacation to golf....I'm just under a 1 index right now.  Hopefully can make it a little better by end of year
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Bradk31, Look into the qualifying requirements for the US OPEN, you may be eligible at an index of 1. I always said if I had the required hcp (2?) I would apply. You never know if you don't try!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• bradk31
    Options
    I have played in the qualifier before... its not an easy task to make it past the first round even.  Those guys are good!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well, I must be one of the lucky ones, I have lost track of my hole in ones. The trick is it getting it through the Clowns Mouth or Windmill @ just the right moment......Congratulations, that is an awesome feat
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    That's awesome...some guys have all the luck. 

My best friend's brother in law was playing a charity tournament with him last year and got the hole in one on the "win a truck" hole. 

I am lucky to get it on the fairway. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I have one, not near as glamorous as everyone else...went to a pitch and putt after work one day, 127 yards.  Saw the ball hit the green and roll...walked up and did not see the ball.  I started cursing, how could I lose a ball on a 127 yard hole...never occurred to me to look in the hole.  Worse yet, no witness.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Congrats brother!!! Still waiting on mine!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    On par fours or par fives?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Livinloud5
    Options
    I have to learn how to get it that far first.

Blake.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!