Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for new Blackstone 22-inch owners.

Options
epcotisbest
epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
Got it seasoned yet? Any cooks with photos? How about a review and opinions on it vs. the other BS sizes?

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Used it this weekend to cook burgers and breakfast. So far we love it. This one will stay in the camper and will be hooked to the quick connect, plumbing it into the main rv tanks. Used the recommended 1 lb bottle this weekend and it was empty in two cooks. I'm gonna build a box to keep it in, as the wind was a big issue Sunday morning. Rendered the whole left side useless. I really like the way this one is designed vs my 36. Much lighter (obviously) and the rear grease drain is a HUGE improvement. I may modify it to accept the little disposable Weber Q trays. I'll post more photos this weekend when I get back to the campground. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I was wondering how much mileage you would get with the little bottles. 
    Good tip on the box. I can see how the wind would be a problem. Guess that is true for all sizes.
    Yes, that rear grease drain does look well designed. 
    Looking forward to future cook photos.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Do you think this version is more prone to wind problems than the other ones?
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @odie91 I can't speak for the 17, but over the 36, yes. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I was wondering how much mileage you would get with the little bottles...
    I assumed with both burners at full blast it would suck those little bottles dry rather quickly. Already received my adapter hose (Amazon) for my big propane tank but haven't received my griddle yet. HSN said delivery by the 7th - we'll see.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• epcotisbest
    Options
    I just contacted Blackstone about where else to purchase the 22" since HSN is sold out. Here is the reply...
    Thank you for contacting us! I'm sorry but unfortunately there is no other place to buy the 22" griddle, HSN is the only place to buy it. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Great looking set up. I really like the rear grease drain.
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    My 22 inch cover arrived today!!!! Hooray! My griddle however is two days behind. Not sure why HSN didn't ship together?
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    I just contacted Blackstone about where else to purchase the 22" since HSN is sold out. Here is the reply...
    Thank you for contacting us! I'm sorry but unfortunately there is no other place to buy the 22" griddle, HSN is the only place to buy it. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    I know nothing about product rollouts, but I can't see how they're not testing the waters to judge how many to make. Personally I think it'll be a winner. 
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I know nothing about product rollouts, but I can't see how they're not testing the waters to judge how many to make. Personally I think it'll be a winner. 
    Yeah, I bet you are right. As soon as the exclusive contract with HSN expires, I bet you will be able to buy the 22 just about anywhere. I think it might wind up being the most popular size of all.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    kjs said:
    My 22 inch cover arrived today!!!! Hooray! My griddle however is two days behind. Not sure why HSN didn't ship together?
    HSN only sells them. Manufactured and shipped from far far away, and the place that makes the covers is probably nowhere near the place that makes the griddles, probably not even in the same province, but probably on the same continent, which is not this continent.
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    kjs said:
    HSN only sells them. Manufactured and shipped from far far away, and the place that makes the covers is probably nowhere near the place that makes the griddles, probably not even in the same province, but probably on the same continent, which is not this continent.
    Don't talk reason and logic. I want my NEW TOY!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have both a 36" and a 28" Blackstone. Still, I can't wait to get one of these 22" versions!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I have both a 36" and a 28" Blackstone. Still, I can't wait to get one of these 22" versions!
    Might as well get a 17 too. That way you can have the complete range of sizes and only fire up the one you need. Or fire em all up and invite the neighborhood for smashburgers, cheesesteaks, hibachi chicken and pancakes.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    And the 17" of course. Might as well complete the set.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jgonciar
    jgonciar Posts: 3
    Options
    Contacted Blackstone. They said HSN had not ordered anymore 22" at this point.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    jgonciar said:
    Contacted Blackstone. They said HSN had not ordered anymore 22" at this point.
    Did they perhaps mention when they might release them directly into the wild?

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I previously had the 17" and got the 22" a couple of months ago or so.  I like the 22" MUCH better.  It's still small enough to sit on my Egg table right beside the Egg, yet large enough to cook just about anything I would want. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Hub said:
    I previously had the 17" and got the 22" a couple of months ago or so.  I like the 22" MUCH better.  It's still small enough to sit on my Egg table right beside the Egg, yet large enough to cook just about anything I would want. 
    Thanks. I think the 22" may be an ideal size. Guess I will have to keep checking HSN to see if they decide to sell it again sometime soon.
  • jgonciar
    Options
    No mention of release of the 22" in the wild.
  • jgonciar
    Options
    hen has the blackstone 22" griddle in stock. 9 left at this moment.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I ran across this video of a different portable griddle by Royal Gourmet. It is $99 at Target.  This is porcelain enameled...which I have mixed feelings about. It would be great if it lasts but if it gets scratched up I don't think you can re-season it like regular steel. It does look like it works great out of the box though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZpbIkWShw

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    For a moment, I had it in my cart ... then walked away.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Smart move.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Focker said:
    Smart move.
    I think this marks the beginning of my grill addiction recovery. I am ok with just two blackstone griddles. A third, even though different than my other two, is not needed. This is liberating. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Looks like they raised the price
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

HeavyG said:
    Thank you for the reply. I was wondering how much mileage you would get with the little bottles...
    I assumed with both burners at full blast it would suck those little bottles dry rather quickly. Already received my adapter hose (Amazon) for my big propane tank but haven't received my griddle yet. HSN said delivery by the 7th - we'll see.
    The smaller bottles can't deliver the flow rate as the propane evaporates, gets cold as F, and the pressure drops.  This is one of two reasons I bought my 100 lb tank.
    edited June 2017
    Options
    They have 2 listings on there website.  There is the higher priced one, then there is this one with adapter hose included for $129.99.  Ordered it last night.  https://www.hsn.com/products/blackstone-portable-22-gas-griddle-with-adapter-hose/8414926
  • HeavyG
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Looks like they raised the price
    Actually the current price of $129 is less than the $139 I paid back in April. Plus the current offer includes the adapter hose for a 20# tank which would ordinarily cost another $15+/-.

I might buy another!

https://www.hsn.com/products/blackstone-portable-22-gas-griddle-with-adapter-hose/8414926?query=8414926&isSuggested=true

• HeavyG
    Options
    glocklynn said:
    They have 2 listings on there website.  There is the higher priced one, then there is this one with adapter hose included for $129.99.  Ordered it last night.  https://www.hsn.com/products/blackstone-portable-22-gas-griddle-with-adapter-hose/8414926
    Tis weird they also have a listing for just the griddle for $179.