Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best lamb rub? Planning ahead.

Options
I am already starting to thinking about my lamb roast for Easter.  In the past, I have just used a general AP rub. 
Always good, but I am wondering if there is a different level out there.  Any recommendations on a stellar rub for lamb? 
XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cavender's Greek is very good. Also like Dizzy Pig Mediterranean.
    But I still like wet marinade with traditional fresh garlic and rosemary.
    Google images

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    zaatar, salt, oil, garlic.  butter grill some toast with zaatar as well. penzeys makes good zaatar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    paste of olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Also great if you cut small slits throughout the roast and and in each slit, insert a half garlic clove and sprig of fresh rosemary
    Mamaroneck
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 on garlic and rosemary techniques.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express or Dizzy Pig Mediteranneanish are my favorites for lamb.
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Here's one I have used from Malcom Reed:  
    2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary (chopped fine)
    1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme (chopped fine)
    4-5 Cloves Fresh Garlic (minced)
    Mix the above together.  Apply the S&P, then add the herb/garlic rub.  
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Coarse Sea Salt
    1 Tablespoon Coarse Ground Black Pepper

Anything with garlic and rosemary (as noted by @bgebrent)is a winner.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    What dome temp are you guys running at?  Thanks!
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This is delicious! Stab it with your steely knife and then marinate at room temp for an hour.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grilled-butterflied-leg-of-lamb-with-lemon-herbs-and-garlic-101877

Recipe calls for too much time on the grill though so watch that. But you asked about seasoning, not how to cook it. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    I also like the overnight wet marinade that then makes a great sauce:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-butterflied-leg-of-lamb-zinfandel-58650Before grilling I cover with a paste of garlic, rosemary, pepper, and a enough olive oil to get a sticky paste.  Can't wait to see your pictures!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • balamaci
    balamaci Posts: 15
    Options
    My dome tempature is usually between 325 - 350 and pull at 140. 
    LBGE, CGS Adjustable Rig & Spider,  Weber Kettle, Weber Summit,Thermoworks Smoke, Smokeware Cap
    Johns Island, SC, Fairfax, VA

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've never made this (my wife hates lamb, so I don't make it often), but I used to LOVE the late, lamented Gourmet magazine, and I never made anything from it that wasn't good, so I bet this is good.  But again, I've never made it:

Lamb Spice Rub - Gourmet, June 2009

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
    1 tablespoon cumin seeds
    2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon green or white cardamom pods
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 1/2 teaspoons hot red-pepper flakes
    1 1/2 teaspoons grated nutmeg

Toast coriander, cumin, mustard, and cardamom in a dry small heavy skillet, covered, over medium heat, shaking skillet frequently, until spices are fragrant and several shades darker and mustard seeds begin to pop, about 3 minutes. Cool, then finely grind with remaining ingredients in grinder.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Only have done leg of Lamb once. Used a combo of code 3 spices Grunt Rub ( heavy on garlic) and hardcore carnivore black. It was fantastic!