Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork rost result

Options
Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know if this is a failure or not. Went by my BGE dealer. Ask about a boneless pork roast 3.5 lb. This was there instruction.After using the ultimate roast rub put it in a vrack direct dont allow the temp to rise above 250. Go 2 1/2 hrs then wrap in foil shut down the egg and go to bed. I did this. Did the foil about 1;30 am shut daisy down and left mabe 1/32 crack in bottom. At seven the foil came off and it smelled great looked great but when I took my electric knife to it it fell apart. It was standing in juice in the foil. It is so dry there is no way to eat it without some sauce. My wife stubbles out of bed from the smell and says taste great but pork roast is always dry . Is it always dry??? This almost like too done it crumbles. I know some will be shaking their heads at this post but I'm still only 3 weeks old with the egg. Comments appreciated. Uncle Dave

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Uncle Dave,
    I am sure you'll here from other forum regulars, but your dealer didn't know what he was talking about! To put it mildly! Please e-mail me and I'll give you the step by step procedures my kids and others have used since getting their Eggs. Dry pork roast is not a thing to expect from the Egg!!![p]Dr. Chicken

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Uncle Dave,
    Stick with this forum for assistance in your cooking endeavors. BGE dealers try hard but are not as knowledgeable in the use and the capabilities of the EGG. Bottom line, your roast was way over cooked. Many on this forum, ie: Mr. Toad, YB, NB and many many others have cooked pork roast with the result being a tender and moist roast.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Uncle Dave,[p]You actually braised the meal, rather than roasted it. Braising is slow cooking in a liquid to keep the meal moist while allowing time for the temperature to break down and tenderize the meat. A pork roast is not a very good candidate for braising and doesn't benefit from a long cook.[p]Roasting is done at temps of about 300-400°F with the intent to continue this temp to meat doneness (usually to a certain internal temp).[p]Pork roasted to 135-140°F internal temp, will be tender and juicy, with just a hint of pink. The cook can be done directly on the grill (turning occassionally), in a v-rack (turning occassionally), or over a drip pan (no turning necessary). The meat is not covered and cooks at about 15 min/lb.[p]Spin
  • JJ, funny you should mention that...
    The dealer I got my egg from offered me some recipes along with the egg.......I was flipping through the selection and was pleasently suprised to see that a number of them were printouts from here on the forum....[p]Roger!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Roger,
    I agree with everyone on this thread..No need to foil wrap the roast during the cook, only when you have finished it in the BGE..then if you want to exercise a foil wrap allow the roast to rise a bit and finish cook in the foil, its o.k. on a platter on the table..You can save those juices in the foil for gravies if you wish..!
    There is one nice thing about the forum, if there is a old recipe that can be improved upon, someone will do it. No disgrace to the original, and cheers for the improvement.
    The only thing I lean heavily upon foil for is those really tough beef roast cuts.
    C~W[p]

• Uncle Dave,[p]In your post further down, you said you were cooking a butt, and that's what my reply to you was based on. If you had a loin roast, it's a very different ballgame, and Spin's advice to cook to an interal temp of 140 is good. I do cook mine at a lower cooker temp (about 275), but the technique is the same.[p]Lee