Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bricks and ribs, any suggestions...

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
121_2147.jpg
<p />I did this set-up tonight for the first time. I used four half fire bricks and trimmed the brick ends to conform to the inside of the fire ring. I used two flat bar pieces to hold the bricks on my spider device. The bricks are down in and butt against the fire ring.[p]I am trying to accomplish two things: First, stop the ends from burning on full slabs. It always seems the ends that hang over the stone or platesetter burn or cook faster. Second, push the airflow from the lump out, up and around the bricks, pan and ribs.
121_2134.jpg
I believe with this configuration I can get 4 to 6 full racks by stacking on my rig, no half racks, and do the standard 3-1-1 method with minimal hassle. [p]My question is has anyone tried using fire bricks in this manner. My initial test with two racks was promising. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Tom

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Tom, I have been trying to figure out how to improve on the indirect method as well. The idea I've been toying with is finding a really big pizza stone (one that would rest on the fire ring), and then drilling through it in a multitute of places with a large masonry bit to make a perforated disk. Heat & air could pass through, but would still be indirect.
    The only thing I have so far is the masonry bit.....

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p] BGE has a Pizza Stone for the XL that is 21". It might fit your need.[p]
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Sandbagger, great idea. My concern with 4 to 6 racks on multiple levels would be saucing. When I add sauce with just one level, the time the lid is up really feeds the fire getting it to border on too hot. It seems that doing it on multiple levels might be even worse as you would have to lift off the upper grids to sauce the ribs on the lower grids, the whole process keeping the lid open an awfully long time. Did that make any sense?[p]Or would you lift the whole contraption out, sauce the ribs on all levels, and then put it back in?[p]I wonder where you can get fire bricks in Austin?
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    Grillicious, Yep just pick the rig out, sauce and replace. Any brick yard will have the bricks. I get them at Acme brick for about $1 a piece. They cut like butter with a wet saw. [p]This weekend I'll see if I can rig a bracket mechanism that sits perpendicular to the existing adjustable brackets. Add one or two expanded metal grids that fit between the brackets. Then just lift the rig out and slide the expanded metal shelves out between the brackets, similar to you oven rack. It's a thought! T

• Sandbagger
    Options
    AlaskanC, I thought the same thing with the holes. I tried months ago using perforated pizza pans. Use two, just slide one against the other to adjust the openness of the holes. I found the aluminum pans too thin and gave up on the idea. Plus for me, lump fires are like snow flakes: two are never the same. [p]Tom [p] [p]
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Sandbagger, yet another great idea. Post a pic of the final product.