Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 tier suggestions needed / help needed

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Because of the torrential rain that we are supposed to get this afternoon I had to change my plans for a family BBQ. I decided to make some pork tenderloins coated with Dizzy Pigs Red Eye Express with a Raspberry Chipotle sauce on the side. I am also going to make chicken legs that have been marinated in Italian dressing overnight with a light dusting of Dizzy Pigs Tsunami Spin and a ring of Italian sausage. I am going to sear the tenderloins on my small egg and then place the tenderloins into my large. OK now here is where I need some suggestions. I figure that the tenderloins will go on the regular BGE grate that will be sitting on the fire ring (lump will be about 2 inches below the grate), the chicken on my homemade raised grid (thanks Naked Whiz), and the ring of sausage on the BGE grid extender that will be on top of the raised grid. I am figuring on a dome temp of 350 deg. and placing the loins, chicken and sausage in at the same time so I do not have to worry about uncooked drippings, dripping onto cooked meat. I think 1 - 1.5 hours should be good for all but I will be checking internal temps with my Theropen. Am I on the right track or way off? Any guidance would be appreciated.[p]Thanks,
John

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Retired RailRoader,I think that is too much time for the pork tenderloins, especially since you are searing them.(starting the cooking process) I cook to internal temp of 145, and then rest 10 min. Approx. 45 min. Chix I would grill for 1 hour tops, Sausage for 45 min( depends on diameter) Hope this helps

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]You have some distinct flavors going on there. So I would not want the drippings from one falling on the others. I would leave the tenderloin on the small and cook it Trex style with a thermometer This won't take very long. So, you could smoke/grill the sausage before the tenderloins and wrap in foil and towels before placing in a cooler. I would do the chicken alone in the large.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Thanks for the input on my question. I did use the three tier setup and I wound up moving the chicken and sausage back and forth between the small and the large. The pork loins got shifed to the second grid along with the chicken. Everything came out pretty good concidering. Everyone was very happy with the results and I got praises for the food. Then again they do not eat off the egg everyday like the rest of us so they did not see the faults like I did. Once again the team of a large and a small proved their worth. Live and learn I guess.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.