Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band design for the large BGE

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Roswell Hardware warrantied my large band (not my dealer, by the way). I did not install it (waiting for move). Once I learned of the new band, Bruce at the Mothership swapped out the new version for my old version. Way to go BGE. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Im filing a warranty claim for a cracked firebox and my band this week. Ill update if they replace the bands with the new one. Ive had a horrible underbite for a very long time and have tried everything to fix it with no luck. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• My large is six years old.  The bands had become so warped that there was no way to get rid of the underbite.  We would loosen, adjust, and tighten, then as soon as we raised the lid it would go "whompyjaw" again. Our local dealer ordered us the new band/spring assembly which also has the larger handle.  It was easy to assemble and the lid stays dead-on straight now.  The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't open as wide as it did with the old style hinge because instead of lifting straight up, the back edge of the top levers down behind the back edge of the bottom, if that makes sense.  I figure I'll get used to it...
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Will be nice to have the spring assist. I emailed Bruce@biggreenegg.com a while back about my Large having a bit of an over (under?) bite...he sent me a new band assembly.  Have cooked at at least 18 pizzas in it since, so far so good. Probably just cursed myself, today is pizza day.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    So those of you who had leaks, did the new band fix your issues? I have been struggling with leaks on my large for a long time. 

Tried fixing it many time. As of now I think I may have it fixed, but after opening it, the band immediately moves even though it's about as tight as it will go. 

As as of this last go around, I have a very small leak with TONS of smoke inside. Just loaded it up with wood and tried choking it out as much as possible. I think this may be as good as I've had it the past few years.

Will see how long it holds.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My large is six years old.  The bands had become so warped that there was no way to get rid of the underbite.  We would loosen, adjust, and tighten, then as soon as we raised the lid it would go "whompyjaw" again. Our local dealer ordered us the new band/spring assembly which also has the larger handle.  It was easy to assemble and the lid stays dead-on straight now.  The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't open as wide as it did with the old style hinge because instead of lifting straight up, the back edge of the top levers down behind the back edge of the bottom, if that makes sense.  I figure I'll get used to it...
    @LakeSeminoleEgger- How much was the new assembly?  I think I am tired of fiddling with the hinge on my large.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Miked125 said:

• Warranty on Big Green Egg Components: Click here for details
      • Ceramic components, including dome, base, fire box and fire ring – Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser from Authorized Dealer
      • Ceramic EGGcessories, including ConvEGGtor and Pizza/Baking Stones – 3 Year Warranty
      • Metal Components, including EGG band, stainless steel cooking grid, cast iron charcoal grate and EGG Nest – 5 Year Warranty
      • Temperature Gauge – 1 Year Warranty

Thanks, I will try. When I contacted BGE directly they said contact your dealer and submit photos of the damage.... I thought there isn't damage but the bands always shift!
    If you are successful let me know, I of course have the same problem and would correct it if I could.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The tabs keep the top from falling out the back if the band gets loose.  This saves them from replacing ceramics.
    Contacted my dealer today and they said to contact BGE to start the warranty process. Will let you know how it goes.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • 1voyager said:
    Contacted my dealer today and they said to contact BGE to start the warranty process. Will let you know how it goes.
    Good luck!
  • My guy sent my pics off for approval. Hopefully I get a green light.
    Franklin, Tn

• Those bands don't look like they are set right. 
  • Those bands don't look like they are set right. 
    I adjusted, readjusted and used the spacers from bge with no luck. The shop I bought from and filed my claim from set it up after purchase. 
    Franklin, Tn

• It's around three years old and only developed the underbite in the last year.
    Franklin, Tn

• They looked warped to me and why im looking for warranty replacement
    Franklin, Tn

• Hopefully the claim goes through for you. Let us know how it turns out. 
  • Egg users need to learn to maintain their bands, new or old.  IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• So folks have to shell out $130+ for a fix on a faulty design simply because an improved design was so slow to release that many long time owners band warranty expired?
    Gittin' there...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I'm getting no where with BGE as far as issues described with bands. Mine is the hinge. It just comes loose on the bolts in various areas. It's an unstable dangerous mess. I've adjusted and adjusted and adjusted. Over half an inch of underbite and gaskets been burned up with it. I can get it lined up once I open the lid a few times it just pulls itself out of adjustment. 

I've called, and emailed and haven't gotten a reply outside of asking for photos. I've since included Bruce in the conversation but will give it a few days, before I call and email back. 

this hinge is enough to make me want to sell my egg and get another brand for my large. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    So folks have to shell out $130+ for a fix on a faulty design simply because an improved design was so slow to release that many long time owners band warranty expired?
    You mean like twenty + years? It's not so much the design as it is people not understanding how the bands are to be installed and how to properly adjust them. Some people will likely have issues with the new bands too. 
  • So folks have to shell out $130+ for a fix on a faulty design simply because an improved design was so slow to release that many long time owners band warranty expired?
    You mean like twenty + years? It's not so much the design as it is people not understanding how the bands are to be installed and how to properly adjust them. Some people will likely have issues with the new bands too. 
    When your egg is installed by a dealer without telling u they are there one needs to learn on the fly. I've tried every trick mentioned here and tighten things regularly. Please give me more advice because I will try it, film it and post three cooks later. Seriously, I'm up for trying anything that will help.
    Franklin, Tn

OK. then can you give me a lesson on how the bands should be adjust/tightened/whatever>

The dealer set mine up before delivering it and I don't have any of the spacers that people refer to. Not do I really know what the correctly installed bands should look like.

I just know that I know have underbite on the right side and that smoke leaks out pretty much all the way around. My gasket seems crushed

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited April 2017
    http://biggreenegg.com/getting-started/#assembly

Notice a couple things
    • The bands are not pushed very far onto the ceramics. They edge of the metal is virtually lined up with the edge of the ceramics. 
    • The bands are pretty close to parallel all the way around
    • They tighten the bottom bands first
    • I leave the top hinge connections finger tight as well as they are slotted for adjustment. 

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    1voyager said:
    Good luck!
    No response to my email yet. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Got my band warranty sent in through my local dealer this weekend and just got my new Rutland gasket in, so in  a couple weeks it will be like a whole new egg.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I'm willing to pay the $130, my BGE dealer tells me this item doesn't exist.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    1voyager said:
    1voyager said:
    Good luck!
    No response to my email yet. 

Join the crowd... about to go to my dealer. I can atleast pressure some activity a little as they are good folks but slow.
    BGE customer service once again proves to be as slow as their innovation.  
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    edited April 2017
    I am also working a claim through my local dealer. I have a severe under bite that started a few weeks after my purchase. In the last 3 years I have watched a lot of videos and read most the threads here on how to correct and have done all of them! No luck after the next 1-2 cooks it's back. 

What is the popular reasoning on why this is so common with the eggs? Is it just a bad design?  Neither of my KJ's have this problem. 

Does the new band assembly correct this?  I'll update with what my dealer does or doesn't do for me. 
    VA Beach
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    SoCalTim said:
    @SoCalTim ... Califonia is simply trying to protect you from something dangerous to your health! 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SoCalTim said:

We have not seen the new bands here on the west coast yet. So actually, they don't exist yet.  They must be on the way.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA