Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom Round Help

duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just found a frozen 5lb. Bottom round Roast chillin in the corner of my meat locker. I am planning on egging it tomorow. It will be my first fairly large hunk of meet on the egg. Should I do it like you guys do a Briskit or a Boston Butt?[p]Suggestions?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Duckegg,
    I haven't cooked one in a long time. But when I did, I cooked about 250 indirect. I beleive I pulled around the 135-140 mark for sliced BBQ Beef. If it is fairly lean, I think it would be dry if you took the meat to a 195 internal temp.
    Not much help, hopefully someone else will chime in.[p]Mike

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Car Wash Mike,
    Sound like a plan. Slice against the grain and he'll be all set.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Rumrunner,
    I was sure hoping you would check in. We cooked goosenecks (that is beef in my land), sold the heck out of it.
    Thanks,[p]Mike

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Duckegg,[p]I have done whole bottom rounds (20 pounds) several times for roast beef sandwiches. I would not use the same approach as with a brisket or butt. What I did was to cook indirect with lots of smoke and 250 heat for about 2 hours and then bring up the temp to 350 until meat hit 140. I cut it into pieces for slicing and let it stand and cool. This kept the meat from becoming well done during the standing period. This worked well for me. Your times will be less because of the smaller size, but smoke first then cooking would be my approach.[p]BillT
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Car Wash Mike,
    Sound good,that's the way I am going to do it![p]Thanks to all, I am about to fire up the egg.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    eb37141f.jpg
    <p />Duckegg,[p]I'm with everyone else on pulling at 135°, and slicing thin against the grain. I cook a little higher on ones that are really lean.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery