Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing and transporting smoked meat

I'm smoking some ribs and a pork butt to take to Phoenix for a guys trip.  I'll be cooking on Friday and Saturday, traveling Sunday ( 7 hour drive) and will provide BBQ ribs for the party Sunday night, pulled pork Monday.  What is the best way to store and transport and reheat them?  Thanks for the advice.

Ken  

Comments

• I like to foil the ribs and reheat in oven, grill or whatever, between 250 & 300 until hot. 
    Pulled pork- pull, bag and cool down. I use chicken stock to add moisture. Reheat in a crock pot on high to get the fat to liquefy. Stir often and add more stock if needed. I also add a spoon full of rub for a bit more flavor. 
    Good luck!
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Vacum seal and reheat in pots of hot water. You will get everything back to temp quickly and not continue to cook. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    In your situation, I FTC the meat...(pork unpulled....still whole).  Then to/if reheating is necessary, I put the butt in a crockpot (still in foil) and it will be to temp in a couple of hours. Usually not, but if needed, add a little (3/4 cup) beef broth to the meat for extra moisture.

I would either use the oven as mentioned above or do the crockpot with the ribs, as well. I've never had any ribs leftover to take somewhere....they always disappear before the leave my kitchen !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    For the last big catering gig, we used a couple of Anova SV units, and replenished with new vaccum sealed bags from the cooler as needed.  Worked awesome, having piping hot, ready to serve PP on standby, as the crowd increased.

Have done the turkey fryer, big Al stock pot method before, SV is much easier.

I'm not a fan of dousing meat in liquid to reheat, a light spray mist of coke or chicken broth or pineapple juice, to keep things from drying out, is all that is needed....shouldn't even need it for the ribs.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kdetrick
    kdetrick Posts: 7
    Focker,
    I have an Anova and can take....... did you pull the pork after smoking then vacuum seal to reheat or do you recommend transporting the the butt whole?
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    kdetrick said:
    Focker,
    I have an Anova and can take....... did you pull the pork after smoking then vacuum seal to reheat or do you recommend transporting the the butt whole?
    pull then bag. get the work out of the way. besides, bagging a whole butt is pretty challenging.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    kdetrick said:
    Focker,
    Like @Raymont,

Pull, bag, reheat to serve in SV.
    We use the Nesco roasters, Midwestern cookout/picnic/potluck staples, or a larger crockpot, to hold in.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Any recommendations for reheating brisket. I need to cook it a day or two before serving. I have a joule, never thought to use it for reheating foods. Temp? Time? Sliced first or after? Appreciate any thoughts