Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs a la Tim

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I`m gonna do some ribs on the green cooker as per GFW`s site..
Would it be ok to lay down two firebricks then put the v rack in an aluminum pan?
I`m just gonna rub the ribs with salt pepper and garlic powder instead of JJ`s rub......I used JJ`s rub on the butt I did a while back and loved it...
I`m gonna try simplicty this time just to compare....
Thanks...
Roger...

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Roger,
    Give that method a shot cant hurt. As for rubs, I use them about 50% of the time as I like a variety of tastes in ribs.
    Actually using just wood smoke with no spices or herbs makes some fine eating ribs.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352365&p=37534218
    <p />Roger, I usually lay down 3 firebricks then aluminum foil on top on bricks. This picture here, the ribs are about 3 hours into the cook. I start the ribs in the V-rack then move to this position after about three hours. I start rotating every 45 minutes to avoid hot spots and start the BBQ sauce with about 30 minutes left. I've got 2 slabs of babybacks and 2 slabs of St. Louis style on right now for my dad.
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Looks great as usual! Are you giving out invitations? I could be there in about 2 hrs! :-)))[p]Dr. Chicken

• JJ and Car Wash Mike...
    Thanks guys....
    I have them on the cooker....3 bricks,pan and rack..I had to use my weber rack cause I cut the slabs in half and the v rack is too big allowing the ribs to fall through into the pan.....
    Anywhoo......I have a chunk of applewood in with them smoldering away....
    I`m curious how they will turn out compared to my metal cooker...This is the first time I have ribs in the Egg....[p]Roger Ramjet...

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, you would be welcome anytime. Day #2 (marinating) on your beef jerky recipe you sent me. Goes on tommorrow AM bright and early. Thanks.[p]CWM
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Roger Ramjet,[p]There are several really good ways to do ribs on the Egg. You picked a good one if you have several racks to cook. I am sure you will be pleased with the results - longer is better so go for it. A little wood goes a long way and you will see that is a big difference from the metal ones.[p]Tim
  • Tim M, Thanks for responding.....I was an GFW`s site and saw his reference to your method of cooking the ribs......Looked good to me and the rest is almost history.
    It`s 5:00 pm here now, they have been on since 3:30...I just squeezed on some potatoes covered with EV olive oil and sea salt wrapped in foil....
    They smell wonderful....( the ribs that is)
    I have never cooked them at that temp before....On my metal cooker I cook at 225 to 250.....
    Can`t wait to try them.....
    One rack of Back and two huges sides.....sliced in half...
    mmmmmm good......
    Drinking Bailey`s Irish Creme on crushed ice.......
    Roger Ramjet...

• Car Wash Mike, they look killer!....
    Thanks for the post...
    RR

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Roger, What's with the new handle? Don't you know that when it comes to really good que, it doesn't pay to be "Ram-y"?
    Cheers,
    BBQfan1

• BBQfan1,...LOL.......Oh man, I just can`t get settled on a nic........I think I should just go back to "Mop"
    Wadda ya tink?....
    RR[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks for the offer! Maybe dis spring when things get warmer we can get together and have one heck of a Q'ing session.
    I too have jerky on the menu. It'll get the Egg treatment early Monday morning. Tomorrow it's deer tenderloins on the Egg. The end result of a prefectly fine hunting season! Mmmm! Mmmm! Can't hardly wait! Let us know how the jerky turns out![p]Dr. Chicken

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Roger, Mop was a good handle. It takes me back to the days (1950's) when my dad used to mop the barbeque with the vinegar sauce every half hour or so. It sure was good but it sure was a big ordeal.