Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

French Country Bread

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
CountryFrenchLoafonBGE2_DSCF09734502.jpg
<p /> Did a large (70+ ounce) French Country Loaf yesterday on Large BGE. Cooked 45 minutes at dome temp of 500*F .... internal temp 203*F. I really like this formula and enjoy this large loaf. I usually divide this after first (3 hr) rise and cook it as separate loaves. I prefer to post directly from my PC file, so may add one or two separate pics. [p] I am very impressed with the ability to maintain these high cooking temps on the BGE for fairly long time periods. There is a slightly higher temp area near the back side which I ignored this time, but should cause me to rotate the loaf after ~20 minutes. This same loaf is also a 'knockout' with a large amount of calamata olives added to the raw dough before rising.[p]Tom B (EggSport)

Comments

• CountryFrench_2ndRise_DSCF09691081.jpg
    <p />add-on[p] Here is dough after 2nd 3 hr rise. (71 ounces, 12-inches diameter, over 5 inches high.

• CountryFrenchLoaf_CoolingRack_DSCF09747126.jpg
    <p />add on pic[p] Loaf just off BGE (45 minutes at 500*F)[p]

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    THAT looks OUTSTANDING!

• BurntRaw,[p] Thanks for commenting! I spend lots of time on another 'pure' BBQ Forum, and sometimes feel a bit 'out of place' as I see mnay of their large, BLACK, heavy, steel cookers and smokers. Then I start wondering what I can't do as well (or better) on the BGE. And it's so EASY to run out, light up, and do a quick piece of fish, or burgers, OR .... [p] I'm learning to just grab a cold one and find something else to wonder about![p]Tom B (EggSport)

• KBuck
    KBuck Posts: 42
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    Beautiful loaf, thanks for posting. [p]Sometimes a straight shot of air comes from the draft door up the back of the Egg, creating a hot spot. Try rotating the plate setter so one leg is dead center in the back.

• CountryFrenchLoaf_Sliced_DSCF09784933.jpg
    <p />KBuck,
    Astute observation! I will definitely place platesetter that way next cook. I am also thinking about turning it 'legs up' and a pan of water on it below grate and pizza stone. [p] Missed the focus trying to shoot flash in the dark so fluorescent lighting did not goof up the color. Oh well ....

Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),[p]Nice job; 203F internal temp for a loaf that size is dead on! One other thing that you might consider doing to minimize the back side hot spot is to intentionally misalign the opening at the bottom of the firebox with the air duct by about an inch (or more). You should still be able to get a clean fire at 500F for the bake.
  • Puj,[p] Thanks for the thought ... I had wondered about adjusting this in situations calling for really low temps as well. I think this is a fairly obscure 'fine tuning' method that needs to be exploited.[p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Tom B (EggSport),[p]Give it try and let us know how you find it. I subscribe to the "higher baking temps than what a bread formula typically calls for when baking in the BGE" approach.[p]Puj

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Wondering would you be willing to giving out the recipe? I would like to try baking this bread.

Joe