Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Delicious smoked Kingfish, Bluefish or Mackerel

Options
I've been using a medium BGE for coming on 20 years. One of my absolute favorites to cook is fish. In my opinion, oily types of fish are the best as they stand up to the dry heat of smoking better than, say, flounder. Kingfish, Mackerel and especially Bluefish are the best there are for making a delicious meal.

One trick is to make sure you brine the fish before you smoke it. There are dozens of variations on brining, but I like to use 1 gallon of water with 12 tablespoons of sea salt or kosher salt, 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup of Yoshida Marinade, 2 tablespoons of onion power, and 1 tablespoon powdered garlic. Mix it together well and use a large bowl, plastic bucket or a fish poacher to marinate the fish for 6 hours, but at least 2 if you're in a hurry.

After brining, put the fish on a rack in the refrigerator and let it dry until it gets tacky to the touch. That usually happens in about 2 hours. Don't worry if you don't get this sticky finish, you can still cook the fish if it's dry, but the additional drying will help with the flavor on the surface.

Fire up your BGE. The temperature you want is very low, about 160-170 degrees. I use Alder as the wood, but Hickory is also excellent as is Apple or Cherry. I avoid Mesquite because I think the flavor is a bit strong for fish. Pile a big handful of wood chips (not chunks) directly over the center of the fire, with some strewn around the outside of the pile. It should have the same pattern as if you took a salt shaker and spilled the salt on the table top. You'lll have a mound in the middle with a circle of salt around it. I use this pattern for all my smoking in my BGE. For short smokes, like fish, I use chips. For longer smokes, especially ribs, butts and briskets, I use chunks, but the pattern in the same.

Here's another tip I've picked up from professional and amateur smokers alike that may surprise you. Never, ever soak your wood. There's a great article about this located at http://tinyurl.com/clp9bru. Meat and fish absorb most of the smoke flavor when they're cold, and soaking wood defeats the purpose of adding flavor to the protein you're cooking at the beginning of the process. I know this is counter to what you've been told, but try it once or twice and you'll never soak again! 

I use a Maverick ET-732 thermometer so I can monitor both the oven temperature and the temperature of what I'm cooking remotely. It is, to me, an essential piece of equipment. Keep in mind that the thermometer in the BGE is measuring the temperature in the dome, not on the grill. There can be as much as a 20 degree difference in that temperature and you'll be more successful with your cooking if you can keep the heat accurate. Especially for fish, the temperature needs to be low.

Lightly spray the grill with Pam or any aerosol oil to keep the fish from sticking. Put the over the fire, put the plate setter in place (upside down), and place the grill rack on top. If you're using fillets, place them skin side down on the grill. Depending on the thickness of the fish, they'll be done in 60-90 minutes. Make sure that you take them off the grill when they're no more than 140 degrees.

The fish will be succulent and infused with a wonderful smokey flavor! Make some extra so that leftovers can be made into a salad by adding finely minced red onion and celery and a bit of mayonaise. My family loves fish cooked in our BGE, and I have neighbors who bring me their fish they've caught and ask me to smoke it for them! I'm happy to help, in exchange for a fish or two!

For me, it comes down to using fish that's as fresh as can be and that is very oily. Farmed salmon, well-marbled, is also a real treat cooked in the BGE. For a special treat, try Chilean Sea Bass. The best, but usually way too expensive!

Good luck, and let me know how it works for you.

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Steve from WPB agrees! Except we've never smoked at that low of a temp so next batch of fish might give that a try. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thank You for the info

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Last week our family spent Spring Break on Marco.  Grabbed a charter one day, the only calm wind day of our trip and went out and loaded up on Grouper and Snapper.  We took a break so my boys could catch a couple King Mackerel.

During the first battler I asked Captain Chris (Fish On Marco charters, shameful plug he did a great job) If Kings could be eaten.  His first response was NO they aint good at all.....Shorlty after he followed up with, "unless you have a smoker, den dat right dare is the best smoked fish you will ever eat, Makes da best dang fish dip Ever, EEEVVVEEERRR".  He was convincing to say the least.  

I said I got an egg and he stuck that first sucker with the gaff.  Then the next.  They were about 40-50lbs each.  Packed them home and here I sit in Minnesota just having completed my first batch of smoked Kingfish.  

i followed the method above......All I can say is, "dat dare King Mackerel made da best dang smoked fish I ever ate."  Unbelievable how firm and succulent it is.  My boy said that is better than Pulled pork....Pulled Pork!  I gotta say it is dang close.

I followed up and made about a half gallon of smoked king fish dip.  Captain Chris did not lead us astray.  

If you get King fish don't write them off!  Give em a smoke, I used Apple Wood.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Do you cut the bloodline out of the filets?
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Yeah I cleaned the filets up to clean meat, skin on though.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    When I'm catching blues to smoke I don't bother cutting out the bloodline. I just stun 'em, bleed 'em, and chuck 'em on ice ASAP. Filet and scale them at the end of the trip, then cook similar to the method in the OP. We usually serve it with a cheese plate to spread on crackers. It's killer!