Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big weekend with the egg

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our family reunion is over. Whew! We made a lot of egged food. I put 2 pork butts on the egg Fri morning and cooked them all day and into the wee hours for pulled pork sandwiches for Sat's lunch. Took them off and put them in the oven briefly Fri night while we bbq'd salmon and did pizzas. [p]The pizzas did NOT turn out at all. I had bought a BGE pizza stone and the stone burnt the bottoms of the crusts black very quickly. The tops all looked great but the bottoms made it inedible. So after two pizzas, we did the rest in the Aga where they turned out great, just without that wood-fired flavor.[p]The pulled pork sandwiches Sat were great. On Sun we did 6 racks of babybacks via the 3-1-1 method and Dr. BBQ's recipe from the first book. They were pretty good. Not my best attempt (don't know why one cook is different from another unless it's the rib meat quality) but the company loved them and said they were the best they had ever eaten.[p]All in all a busy weekend for Dimples (and Dimples' mom).[p]Where do you think I went wrong with the pizza crust?[p]Gwen

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    dimplesmom,[p]As far as the pizza crust. I'm know expert by any means, every thing I know about cooking pizza I learned here on this forum.
    With that said, I can tell you that I have had nothing but success with pizza on the egg.
    My guess is that you let the pizza stone heat to too high a temp. I put the stone in and let the egg temp get to 500 for about 40 minutes. I also place the 3 little feet that comes with the egg between the pizza stone and the plate setter, creating a air space between the the two. I wipe the stone with a wet cloth before placing the pizza on the stone. I cook it for about 10 minutes, I look through the top of the egg using a flashlight to check before I open the lid.
    Here is a picture of one of my pizzas,, notice the feet under the pizza stone.[p]BGEphotos069.jpg

• tn slagamater
    Options
    dimplesmom, you need to check on pizza every couple of minutes ; just peek by lifting the EGG top and prying up the pizza to check the bottom.....

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi dimplesmom,
    Like tnslagamater said check often & throw a little cornmeal on the stone should help.
    I think The Naked Whiz>com has a section on pizza's.
    Cheers,
    bruce[p]

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    You sure cooked up a storm. The egg and the aga, what a combination for the very best in cooking. [p]I bake pizza using perforated pizza pans. Setup has plate setter legs up, then grid, then loaded pizza pan on grid. I get crust and toppings done at the same time this way.
    Good luck next time,
    Clay

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]I'll have to look for those little feet. I'm not sure where we put them.[p]I had the dome temp at just under 400. The bottoms were black in less than 5 minutes, leaving the tops nowhere near cooked.[p]When I tried it right after we first got the egg, I had great success throwing the pizza directly on the grill using I believe direct heat! So I was expecting great success, thinking I was following directions on pizza making I'd read here.[p]Gwen

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    dimplesmom,[p]I do pizzas all the time...plate setter..legs down and stone on top of that....[p]I run my large egg to 550-600 deg and let it sit there for 20 mins or so.....[p]I then make sure that I use corn meal on the stone...[p]It takes about 5-10 mins per pizza depending on toppings and thickness of dough...[p]One question..[p]what type of dough were you using?[p]If there isn't enough moisture in the dough it will burn faster ...you need the moisture to help the dough rise and keep it from burning..[p]

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    icemncmth,
    Maybe it was the dough. It was a recipe I made from scratch. I didn't like it well enough to make again.[p]Gwen