Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Ken Onion Work Sharp

Options
According to Slickdeals this is the cheapest it has ever been.  I've been wanting to pull the trigger so down goes another $100.  I hope someone else spends their money too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJ9CQKA/ref=sr_ph_1?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=6c3da4ce132311e7b0f9bee56e17977c0INT&ie=UTF8&qid=1490610780&sr=sr-1&keywords=Work+sharp+onion

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Don't really need one but that is a good price.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    We don't have any real knife sharpener in our house. I saw this and googled "best knife sharpener" and it seems that there are more opinions on knife sharpening devices than a lump thread on this forum! I'm tempted to get one as our main kitchen knives really need some love.

Can someone sell me on this please? I already watched the youtube video and it seems relatively foolproof. I know I can count on my egg brethren to help spend some more money.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2017
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    We don't have any real knife sharpener in our house. I saw this and googled "best knife sharpener" and it seems that there are more opinions on knife sharpening devices than a lump thread on this forum! I'm tempted to get one as our main kitchen knives really need some love.

Can someone sell me on this please? I already watched the youtube video and it seems relatively foolproof. I know I can count on my egg brethren to help spend some more money.
    Seems like most of the past discussions have been good. I'm tempted as well.
    http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=ken+onion+work+sharp

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    This is the review that sold me.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160521/work-sharp-ken-onion-edition-knife-sharpener-review

That's a great price, I would buy one if I didn't already have one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    Options
    You're right about "best knife sharpener" is like arguing about "best lump". :)

I think for most folks that aren't really into knife sharpening but know they really do need to sharpen their knifes (at least occasionally) this Ken Onion is a decent rig. Does a good job with a small learning curve.

I think they do a better job than the electric pull thru type of sharpeners for most home chefs.

If you have really expensive knives or some very low angle Japanese knives this won't be the best sharpener but for most folks with "ordinary" kitchen knives I think it is a good device.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    still use mine all the time. It works great for me. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thank you @DMW. I recall seeing that thread from a few years back. In reading, I see that @Cen-Tex Smoker says he can shave a gnat's ass since he got a Ken Onion. That's good nuff fer me! HA!
    eggAddict from MN!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    the ken onion goes down to 15 degree so it's good for japanese steel as well. I have a set of Shun knives and i do them at 17.5 as is set at the factory. They are scary sharp. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it is a different grind that is traditional for Japanese steel but I've never noticed any difference. The Work Sharp puts a beveled edge on them.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Just went to order and now it's back to $129.94 :o
    eggAddict from MN!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    the ken onion goes down to 15 degree so it's good for japanese steel as well. I have a set of Shun knives and i do them at 17.5 as is set at the factory. They are scary sharp. 
    It's not that unusual for some Japanese knives to have edge angles in the 7°-11° range. Probably safe to say that most Japanese knives are not that acute tho and 15° is fine.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Deals gone- don't need one but would have grabbed for the $100
    Greensboro, NC
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    I have five Shuns that I use all the time.  IS the work sharp ken onion the set that will keep me from having to send them back to Shun for sharpening?....... I've just been using a Henckel's sharpening steel, and they seem to come right back to a nice edge.  I know I'll need something in the future.  I was hoping the work sharp would be the thing?
    Berlin, Maryland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    rsterman said:
    I have five Shuns that I use all the time.  IS the work sharp ken onion the set that will keep me from having to send them back to Shun for sharpening?....... I've just been using a Henckel's sharpening steel, and they seem to come right back to a nice edge.  I know I'll need something in the future.  I was hoping the work sharp would be the thing?
    well- it's been that for me. I have reset the edge on every knife I own- all at varying degrees- and I use the WSKO to maintain them as well. They get scary sharp in 2 minutes. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I got the non Ken onion version about a year ago and have yet to try it.  I guess that's one downside.  If you're lazy as me you don't even want to drag your but over to a power outlet haha.  When is the cordless version gonna be invented?  ;)