Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: March Madness Basketball Bracket Challenge

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    ibanda said:
    Wolfpack said:
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    Catch up with the UK-UCLA game- impressive play across the board.
    Cats are supreme.
    No doubt they are amazing players- but to me it's hard to get behind the one and done teams. No time to get committed and follow the growth of the players. But, the winning would be nice. Looking great tonight. 
    I can understand if you are 19 years old and get an opportunity to make millions and play ball you should probably take it but I am not a fan of a college team built on this concept.

I enjoy the mid-majors that get 4 or 5 upper classmen that have played together and make a break thru in the tournament. Unfortunately the latest trend is the good mid-major underclassmen are now transferring up to bigger schools. I am a complete casual fan and I can't keep up anymore. 
    Love the mid majors, teams like Duke as an example. Too bad very few get further than the first weekend.
    Nice @YukonRon.  

Although I can't really reply with anything of substance given the Blue Devil performance this year and the fact that my bracket is dropping like a rock as I have the fewest possible points of anybody...

I find myself oddly having to cheer for the Tarheels today.  Fortunately, I'll be on a plane to Maui during the actual game so I won't have to watch it.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    YukonRon said:
    ibanda said:
    Wolfpack said:
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    Catch up with the UK-UCLA game- impressive play across the board.
    Cats are supreme.
    No doubt they are amazing players- but to me it's hard to get behind the one and done teams. No time to get committed and follow the growth of the players. But, the winning would be nice. Looking great tonight. 
    I can understand if you are 19 years old and get an opportunity to make millions and play ball you should probably take it but I am not a fan of a college team built on this concept.

I enjoy the mid-majors that get 4 or 5 upper classmen that have played together and make a break thru in the tournament. Unfortunately the latest trend is the good mid-major underclassmen are now transferring up to bigger schools. I am a complete casual fan and I can't keep up anymore. 
    Love the mid majors, teams like Duke as an example. Too bad very few get further than the first weekend.
    Nice @YukonRon.  

Although I can't really reply with anything of substance given the Blue Devil performance this year and the fact that my bracket is dropping like a rock as I have the fewest possible points of anybody...

I find myself oddly having to cheer for the Tarheels today.  Fortunately, I'll be on a plane to Maui during the actual game so I won't have to watch it.  
    Just having some fun. Proud of you "taking one for the team". The trip to Maui must be brutal. Enjoy it, as I know you will. I do not think it will matter, Oregon looks unbeatable.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Oregon does look strong.  As does South Carolina.

I try to be a reasonable fan (oxymoron given that "fan" is short for fanatic?) - and not one of those who just hopes a sinkhole will swallow up the UNC-UK game removing both teams and much of their fan base - no matter how much it would make the world a better place. :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I try to be a reasonable fan (oxymoron given that "fan" is short for fanatic?) - and not one of those who just hopes a sinkhole will swallow up the UNC-UK game removing both teams and much of their fan base - no matter how much it would make the world a better place. :)
    That is going to be a karst topography event of a magnitude never seen before in the history of the planet.
    We agree on both USC and the Ducks.
    I think I need to get back into therapy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:

That is going to be a karst topography event of a magnitude never seen before in the history of the planet.
    We agree on both USC and the Ducks.
    I think I need to get back into therapy.

That's probably not a bad idea.  But keep in mind that it is important to have goals of therapy.  There is no cure for being a Wildcat.  It seems to be a terminal affliction.  But with proper emotional support it can be something you can cope with and die "with" it, not "of" it.

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Regarding therapy, mine is self medication, utilizing a fab cab, and smoking a prime rib.
    Both will be served as either a victory dinner, or to console for a loss. Either way, although not Maui, it helps me cope. Enjoy your trip my friend. Have fun.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks.  It should be a good trip.  It's nice to have my son's spring break fall the week before I have to go to Maui for work so my wife and I will be there for 11 days total (only 6 days for him).  Enjoy your great food and wine as I know you will. 

Some day we'll get together and you can teach me a lot more about cabs and French wine.  I'll try to sell you on the merits of the pinotage.

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Foghorn - Have a great time in Maui.  Don't know your line of work but if road trips to Maui are part of the deal you are in a great place.  Next assignment Kauai.   Safe travels.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap.  Kauai is our very favorite.  We've picked out a "Plan A" for retirement there on the south shore.  We're unlikely to ultimately get there and will probably end up with "Plan B or C or D" but we can always visit.

And yes, I've had very good fortune professionally.

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks.  It should be a good trip.  It's nice to have my son's spring break fall the week before I have to go to Maui for work so my wife and I will be there for 11 days total (only 6 days for him).  Enjoy your great food and wine as I know you will. 

Some day we'll get together and you can teach me a lot more about cabs and French wine.  I'll try to sell you on the merits of the pinotage.

Pinotage, is a great wine, I had been introduced to it last year. My SIL is working in Africa, and has had exposure to the hidden gems that are made there. Just as with pinotage from South Africa, I have become enamoured with African wines in the Northwest. There are great wines to be had.
    I knew you had a redeeming quality =)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:

Pinotage, is a great wine, I had been introduced to it last year. My SIL is working in Africa, and has had exposure to the hidden gems that are made there. Just as with pinotage from South Africa, I have become enamoured with African wines in the Northwest. There are great wines to be had.
    I knew you had a redeeming quality =)

I try not to let my redeeming qualities bubble to the surface too often - especially around here.

If you SIL can get the Pinotage/Shiraz blend from Balance Vineyard, I'd be curious to know what you think.  It was probably just a situational thing but we bought a bottle of it for $4 at the camp store in Kruger National Park and 3 families all agreed it was the best wine any of us had ever tasted.  But sitting at a camp site under the southern sky probably had something to do with it - with good company - during the World Cup...

They don't ship out of South Africa.

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    She works in the embassy in Ghana. She travels all of Africa as an attorney for the state Department and is also involved in enviromental protection. Her travels will take her there. 
    My previous statement of my liking of northwestern African wine, was thrown by word check on my hand held. It is northeastern African wines that are impressive.
    I shall ask her to grab several if she can. Maybe we will get a gift through the diplomatic pouch one day.
    If so, I will do my best to save you a bottle.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I can hear crickets!!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Great game- should have been the championship because it was a battle. Fun to watch both teams really going at it. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    That was a great game.  Carolina fans just glad there wasn't enough time in that final possession for ole Roy to do sum coachin!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It was the best kind of ending: Dangle the line of hope and then rip their throats out.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Glad it didn't go into overtime. That was a barrage of threes
    Greensboro, NC
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Congrats to the Tar Heels. Represent the Region In the F4. Great game, and on this night, the better team won. I am just glad it was a good game for everyone to enjoy.
    See you in October.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    It's Great to be a Gamecock!!!!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Congrats to the Gamecocks. Excellent run in the tournament. Rep the SEC!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I can hear crickets!!!!!
    Congrats brother Johnny. Well deserved, great game.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I can hear crickets!!!!!
    Congrats brother Johnny. Well deserved, great game.
    It was a great game... you just knew it would go down to the wire...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'd love to meet the person who picked these four teams.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Let me know when you find them!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Oh well.  It was ours if we'd wanted it.  Go Gamecocks!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    JRWhitee said:moo
    We have 22 people in our Egghead bracket challenge but there are 588,000 brackets filled out on Yahoo. Someone named Heather is leading the challenge with 49 out of 60 games picked correctly and she has the right final 4. The 2nd and 3rd place brackets also have the correct final 4. Just goes to show the odds of filling out a perfect bracket! 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ibanda said:
    JRWhitee said:moo
    We have 22 people in our Egghead bracket challenge but there are 588,000 brackets filled out on Yahoo. Someone named Heather is leading the challenge with 49 out of 60 games picked correctly and she has the right final 4. The 2nd and 3rd place brackets also have the correct final 4. Just goes to show the odds of filling out a perfect bracket! 
    I think it's roughly the same odds as hitting the bullseye of a dartboard while blindfolded.