Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is "Turbo" cooking

Options
B747crew
B747crew Posts: 158
Ok so I'm a newbe... granted ... and I've run a  search on the forum but I have't yet figured exactly what the term Turbo means. I gather its very high temp cooks. I have seen attachments for the grill claiming to be turbo but I'm not sure. Chalk it up to a beginner

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Speeding up a normally low and slow cook IE butt, ribs brisket ...I've never done it ( on purpose ) I like taking my time 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    You'll get differing opinions on this (which is why I love this forum) but essentially you can increase your temps on indirect cooks and substantially lessen your overall cook time.  It is nice to have in your back pocket if you spontaneously plan a long cook at the last minute.  I too enjoy taking my time but sometimes those extra hours are hard to come by!  ;)  
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Say a Pork butt is cooked at 225 for 12-14 hours including the stall, and at 350 for about 5 hours with no stall. Cook at a higher temp for less time. On a pork butt I can't really tell the difference. Just make sure if you Turbo us a rub with not alot of sugar or it will get scorched.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • B747crew
    Options
    tcracing said:
    Say a Pork butt is cooked at 225 for 12-14 hours including the stall, and at 350 for about 5 hours with no stall. Cook at a higher temp for less time. On a pork butt I can't really tell the difference. Just make sure if you Turbo us a rub with not alot of sugar or it will get scorched.
    Ok so low and slow its fine with sugar and will scorch at higher temps with sugar in the rub.... makes sense

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    B747crew said: hi
    tcracing said:
    Ok so low and slow its fine with sugar and will scorch at higher temps with sugar in the rub.... makes sense

You still use your platesetter even in turbo cooks.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • B747crew
    Options
    So plate setter down or up???  I'm guessing down

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    B747crew said:

That's a whole different thread - hahaha
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    B747crew said:

Up for me and in addition I foil my ps.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    If you run with the plate setter up (defined as the direction of the legs) for L&S there is no change based on temp. You need an air gapped drip-pan for the renderings regardless of the method.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.