Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick pork chops, juicy, good temps but tough! Help!

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I've done pork many times on the egg, all different cuts, different methods. Ribs and butts always come out outstanding. But I cannot for the life of me turn out a tender chop. Tonight I reverse seared nice thick 1.5-2" thick boneless chops and while they came out juicy, touch of pink in the middle, over all they're just tough. Just once I churned out a killer thick tender boneless chop on the egg. I think that time grilled em direct at 350 for 15 minute a side. Thinking about trying that method again.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Imo, the meat is the meat. Pork is really lean and relative to other proteins it will be tougher. I would suggest buying pork tenderloin and cutting fillets out of it. Those will be fork tender. The rest is tougher. I really enjoy a good pork chop, but it will have a bit more chew than a beef ribeye, fillet, or even strip. I don't mind that personally. Good luck. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Try sous vide, maybe 135-140° for 1 1/2-2 hours. Then sear in a CI pan, stovetop or egg. If you don't have a SV, heat the water and put it in a pre-heated cooler. It'll stay pretty hot for that long. Check water temp from time to time and heat it up if needed.

SV tends to tenderize meat the longer it's in there. Supposedly, it turns mushy if left in too long. Different times to the mush state for different meats. I've done chuck roasts for 48 hours and they are great! A couple of hours will tenderize a thick chop nicely. I cut a 1 1/2" chop cut from a whole loin just a couple of weeks ago and cooked it this way. Delicious!!

Pete's tenderloin suggestion is a good one too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Did you brine them at all?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    I do the thick chops at 375-400 raised direct.... pull them at 145 to 150..  always real good..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    I'm with JIC, I all ways brine mine in 50/50 mix of brown sugar and salt , rinse season and cook around 375_400 raised direct.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Did you brine them at all?
    This. I brine chops for 2 hours in a simple salt/sugar solution. Then reverse sear or SV. I like adding a glaze at the end. A perfect pork chop is miles better than any beef for me.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Do you have an instant thermo?  Pull no higher than 145-150. Sounds like you're over cooking.  15/side @350?  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Another vote for brining.  Take a look at CTs thread.  It will change your chop game 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155810/best-pork-chop-ive-ever-had/p1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Do you have an instant thermo?  Pull no higher than 145-150. Sounds like you're over cooking.  15/side @350?  
    Agreed - that sounds a bit too long to me at that temp.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I have never brined anything. Ever. Before I had to watch my sodium intake, it just seemed like more trouble than it was worth. The food I cooked was good already so why bother? Now, I don't because of the sodium. And the food is still good without it.

I think the key is temp. If overcooked, pork can be tough. Don't do that. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Brandongodfrey
    Options
    I usually tent thick pork chops to rest with foil to clear any pink . After I uncover them I baste them back with their juices and good to go ! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have never brined anything. Ever. Before I had to watch my sodium intake, it just seemed like more trouble than it was worth. The food I cooked was good already so why bother? Now, I don't because of the sodium. And the food is still good without it.

There is a science to brining, it's not just some old wives' tale.  
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I always brine thick pork chops and they ALWAYS turn out very moist and very tender. I use a simple brine of kosher salt and brown sugar, brine a couple hours, rinse well, cook to 115 internal then reverse sear. The key is don't overcook.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Carolina Q
    Options

There is a science to brining, it's not just some old wives' tale.  
    I know. And it makes sense. Before, I was too lazy to bother and the food tasted good without brining. Now, I have to watch my Na so I try not to add any if I can avoid it. And the food still tastes good.

I have tried to quantify how much Na is actually added by brining, but haven't had much luck. If it turned out to be minimal, maybe I'd try it. But I doubt it. =)  

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Brine the chops for 1 to 2 hours. Put on your favorite rub. Get the egg to 300 to 350. Put the chop or chops on with lid open for 1 minute the turn the chop over for 1 minute the turn over a rotate 180. Tkurn over for 1 minute. Check with theropen if 135 to one 140 remove and let rest. Then enjoy a tender and moist chop.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Buy bone in chops. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Believe this came from @hapster

550 direct 

The thick chops were around 8min a side, turning and flipping every 2 minutes... Pulled them off around 148° IT they were super juicy, could have sworn I was eating steak

New Albany, Ohio 

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Yeah I reverse seared mine at 270 for about a half hour until 135 internal, then seared at 600 all sides until meat was 150°-155° internal. Was still juicy and a hair pink but man was it tough. I'm gonna try brining. That sounds like a game changer.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Powak said:
    I've done pork many times on the egg, all different cuts, different methods. Ribs and butts always come out outstanding. But I cannot for the life of me turn out a tender chop. Tonight I reverse seared nice thick 1.5-2" thick boneless chops and while they came out juicy, touch of pink in the middle, over all they're just tough. Just once I churned out a killer thick tender boneless chop on the egg. I think that time grilled em direct at 350 for 15 minute a side. Thinking about trying that method again.
    Whatever you do, pull at 140-145 and you'll be happy
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95