Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. Atkins must be an Egger

Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying Dr. Atkins new diet, you know, the one where you can eat all the meat you want. In following his diet, which I love, the egg is a great help. I can eat all meat and lose weight.
I must admit my wife doesn't like it all that well because she calls it "man meals", all meat and no vegetables. The potato habit is a bit of a problem, since I can't have them.
Go Atkins,
Jake

Comments

• orio kid,
    I really wish you luck. The egg might just make this diet work better. I have been on a form of it. You will loose weight.But my problem was when I wanted to go back to some normal food Back comes the weight.At 290 I am too large,even though people say I carry it well. If you find the answer to how to keep it off post it for all us. What a struggle for people who love to cook and eat. Again good luck[p]
    P.S. my wife hated this type of diet too,which doesn't help us husbands

• Uncle Dave,
    Actually I have been on this diet for five months. I have slowly been getting away from it but I haven't gained any weight back. It has actuall helped my eating habits.
    I have gone from 295 and size 48 pants to 255 and 42 pants.
    Jake

• Be careful with the high protein diets -- similar diet was called Drs. Quick Weight Loss Diet several years ago. It puts you into ketosis (metabolic change) and can damage kidneys. It's really a good idea to research carefully the physiology involved, or talk to your doctor. -- km

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Ken M.,
    Hello, Ken glad to meet you. I can offer a couple of things about the atkins diet since I started on it Nov.1999 after reading a little about it on this bulletin board.
    (the reason I needed it was because of all the good stuff on the Egg ;-))
    Anyway, my weight was going up, my cholesterol was up (total too high to measure??),my good cholesterol was ~40, my triglycerides were out of sight (600+)and according to my doctor I had to do something and he suggested me taking pills and going on a low fat diet.
    I started atkins (after a 'lot' of research) and it works great for me. I lost weight, felt better, and no more heartburn, which I normally took Zantac for every single day of the week. I had a new blood test in July 2000 and the results were as follows:
    Weight down 25 pounds - lost in less than 8 weeks.
    'good' cholesterol (hdl) 76
    total cholesterol 213
    triglycerides 126
    My doctor knew what I was doing and said to keep it up as the only problem he has ever heard from atkins patients was that they sometimes had 'cramps' but otherwise he does not see anything wrong with it and would prefer me to keep doing it, since it appeared to work.
    From what I have been able to find out your kidneys will be fine if you keep up your fluid intake and do not have a kidney problem to begin with. There are some good sites available to learn more about it for those curious (like atkinsfriends.com) and dr atkins website.
    One caveat though, this is not a 'diet' per se but a change in eating habits. If you go back to eating like you did before, you will go back to the same size, shape, that you were before. (go figure;))
    So I still enjoy all the wonderful meats etc. off the Egg, but I cut way down on the carbs and it seems to work for me.
    I'll have a check up this summer and if something is out of whack then I'll see what needs to be done to fix that! :)
    Untill then, I'll stay with atkins!
    Later,
    ChefRD[p]

• Scott S
    Scott S Posts: 24
    orio kid,
    I tried that diet for one week and lost 10lbs.I could'nt hang with it for any longer,For the love affair I have with beutiful beer! ( And all those other bad carb thigs) Besides you'll be sick of it soon. Especially
    when you walk by that cake.[p] Scott S