Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

finally got the Small BGE, quick question.

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Because I never had the small, I never paid attention to the posts about the set-up for doing small indirect cooks.[p]Now I'm taking the new small to the lake, and will be cooking on it most of the week. Aside from the grillmates rig (which I don't have time to score), any tips for setting up indirect in order to do a small butt or a few racks (not slabs) of ribs?
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    stike,
    did you get a second grate, the bottom part of a weber fits mine. you have to take a tapemeasure with you when you go to get one, but i think it was the bottom lump grid of an 18 inch weber (home depot). i have a 10 inch stone for the inderect part, but a pie plate would work for the inderect part if you find the right size or 2 fire brick splits

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    stike,[p]I have 2 word for you ... Grate Mates. [p]Or you can use fire bricks and a 2nd grate![p]Smokey
    [ul][li]Grate Mates[/ul]
  • stike,
    Come on man give up the details. We have all been reading about your quest for a small for sometime. How did it go down?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    stike,
    Check the "Tips" section of my website. I have a couple of variations of indirect set-ups for the small...You`re gonna love that egg, I use mine more than any other size. But I also agree that "GrateMates" are the ideal setup.[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    stike,
    Like Mike said, take a tape to Home Depot and check the Weber grill parts section--the charcoal, not cooking, grates and you should find one that fits. Longer term, the grate mates from chubby are a good purchase that work well with the BGE dish (forget what they call it). I also got a stone. I believe it was from a place called New Mexico Clay.[p]The small is nice. Just have to make sure it is clean of ash if you want to get up to high temps.

• stike
    fishlessman,
    cool.
    so the second grid can sit directly over a pie pan, maybe filled with sand or water for more mass?[p]what size butt you think I can get on it? (i haven't set it up yet or unpacked it, so ihave no feel for the space under the dome.)

• stike
    Whitetial,
    i got so frustrated trying to find someone to sell me one, i had to order a G/D. one click on their website and BAM![p]no. not that. had to be an egg.[p]my wife got more disgusted than everyone here lissining to me b!tch, so she (behind my back) called one of the dealers who was local (but unhelpful) and basically said she had her credit card, didn't care what the price was, didn't care if they'd said that a person "shouldn't" get one, but she was ordering one.[p]did it for my birthday.
    got me a foodsaver, and a rare book of the kind i collect, too. not a bad burfday.

• stike
    Smokey,
    yep
    will do, just not before tomorra's pat's game. might take it, but afraid someone'll swipe it as it cools in the parking lot.

• stike
    WessB,
    thanks, wess. your site and the whiz got me started four years ago or so. i didn't realize you had stuff on the small specifically.
    thankibus muchibus maximo

• stike
    katman,
    thanks.
    actually planning to take some 'cheap' lump. you know, the lumber-scrap stuff. i find that that stuff burns hot and quick. it's lighter, and i think it stacks with more open air flow cuzza it's shape. that should help me go thermonuke on the small.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    stike,
    What I found is that the ash powder that drops down below the charcoal gratet has to be cleaned out pretty regularly if you want to get up to high temps. I was suprised at how little it takes to affect air flow. I don't worry about it much on the large. Certainly won't be an issue with a virgin. You'll like the small. I'm thinkin of bringing mine when I go "campin" up in Maine next month.

• stike,
    Yep, I’d say you did pretty dang good.
    My wife got me a large with all the fixins as a combo birthday, fathers day, house warming gift. We moved into a new (used) home a year and half ago. Unbeknown to me she had a friend come to the new house and set the whole thing up. When I showed up with the movers there was a brand new Large all set up in it’s table on the back deck.
    Don’t get much better than that.[p]Enjoy.

• stike
    Whitetail,
    nice surprise on move-in day.
    cool[p]Thanks again

• stike,[p]So overall, your plan worked. **** a little and the wife buys an egg for you. Good job. [p]Odis
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    stike,
    there is not much room under the fire grate for ash, it quickly fills up, it needs to be cleaned every other cook or you wont get good air flow for those higher temps.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    stike,
    Happy birthday guy.We both got good gifts.You got a small and I got 5 Dizzy Pig rubs.Hope you enjoy your new toy.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    stike, Blue light special set up for the small would be to use Weber fire grate from 18.5 inch kettle as bottom grate in small egg. Buy 3 kiln posts from local pottery place which will raise cook grate 3 inches. Place aluminum pie pan between grates as drip/baffle. Cover with foil so pan could be reused if you are too cheap to throw pan away. Cook and dream about all the money you have saved.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    stike,
    what kind of rare books do you collect?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    RRP,
    check yer mail... in a bit

• stike
    darnoc,
    thanks. you too, likewise.
    was a 'milestone' (40). i doan mind. i act like a 22 year old. hopefully that should help fend off old age.

• stike
    Charbon ,
    thanks.[p]will prob'ly score some splits/firebricks before we go

• stike
    stikeman.jpg
    <p />RRP,
    here's the short answer. this is from the inside front board of the book[p]'Stikeman' or 'Stikeman&Co.' bindings

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    stike,
    I feel the same way.(70) feeling like (35). Have a happy happy.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    stike, I believe you could call WessB, the original pioneer of raised grids for the small. Happy Birthday dude...[p]T

• stike

thanks sandbagger

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    stike,
    Tell me your wife didn't get attitude from the guy I was talking about - please.