Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Tomatoes recipe

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]Someone posted a batter recipe for fried tomatoes recipe yesterday or the day before. It was something lik: 2cups flour, 2 eggs, 1 beer, sugar, salt and pepper. I tried it last night and it came out great, however I had problems getting the batter to stick to the tomatoes slices. I wanted to ask the author how they managed that, but can't seem to find the original post. Perhaps its archived.[p]When I dipped the tomatoes into the batter, the batter would slide right off. I managed it by spooning some on top of the tomatoes once they were in the pan.[p]I made one addition to the recipe, by adding some grated parmessian cheese to the batter. My wife seemed to like it a lot.[p]I use ripe tomatoes rather than green, so I will typically bake mine. Otherwise I find the ripe ones fall part when you try and flip them in a frying pan. I just oil a flat baking sheet and spray some olive oil on top of the tomatoes once they are battered. That ends up giving a fried effect in the oven.

Comments

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    David,
    Try dusting the skin first with a little cornstarch or flour.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    David,
    Glad you liked it.The batter should have been like a waffle batter.You kind of have to coddle the tomoatoe after dipping and sometimes might have to spoon a little extra on it to get an even coating.When it hits the oil it will set up.Sorry I did not mention that in previous post.The real neat thing I learned when doing this and it is a must is to stand them upright.That way the product gets a chance to stay crisp all over as opposed to laying it down on paper towels etc.