Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 big Joe

hey all , I stopped by bbq world today and they had the new big Joe on display and I was blown away . It's amazing the amount of progression KJ has had . For me my eggs will always be green but they aren't making it easy these days . I mean seriously it's like you get every bell and whistle included . I don't get how BGE can just watch this happen . any word on new BGE stuff coming out to contend ?? 

Comments

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Hahaha oh man. You should have made this post exactly 48 hours later. 
    VA Beach
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I love Polka 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited March 2017
    I think the issue may be that you joined the Big Green Egg forum and your very first thread(whoops.. 2nd) is about their competitor.... See the issue? I may be wrong... Am all the time

And two threads down its being discussed. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• I own a large and a small BGE , my family owns a restaurant that cooks on xl BGE's , I will soon be buying a xl so I feel I should be able to speak my mind about it . I just don't get how BGE isn't advancing their product . It's weird when the product you feel to be superior and started all this is pushed in the corner with little to no display area versus the competition who has basically copied the concept and all the great aftermarket parts and are still some how cheaper 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Well that's the only catch with the new Big Joe and the new classic. Price went up quite a bit. But still a decent value. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited March 2017
  • Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    The $1900 price tag drifted me right to an XLBGE.  
  • Mikea5232 said:
    In my area the price was not in favour of the BGE . Fully loaded big Joe was cheaper than just the egg and nest . Approaching $500 difference in aftermarket and you would still be behind in features 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Mikea5232 said:
    At a Costco Roadshow the KJ Big Joe is $1499.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Mikea5232 said:
    In my area the price was not in favour of the BGE . Fully loaded big Joe was cheaper than just the egg and nest . Approaching $500 difference in aftermarket and you would still be behind in features 
    They are already discounting the New Joes?  My XL with nest was in the $1200 neighborhood OTD.  Big Joe is listed as $1900.

You may want a new egg dealer if they are selling it to you for almost $2k.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    So, only $300 more for a nest, side shelves, a better gasket, better bands, a Smokeware Cap, and an AR.

In hindsight, the whole a la carte thing is such a PITA, and most are not even aware of these aftermarket offerings.  

Side-by-side, pound for pound, it's a no-brainer.

The "BlackBerry" team better do sumthin' other than making one of their grills worse (MM), and changing the name of the platesetter.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Mikea5232 said:
    They are already discounting the New Joes?  My XL with nest was in the $1200 neighborhood OTD.  Big Joe is listed as $1900.

I believe @Brandongodfrey is from Canada, sounds like what all dealers charge here for an XL
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    I have 1 joe dealer in my area.  $1600 for the older big joe and $1900 for the new. They just got out of selling eggs and moved in joes.  They wouldn't sell me the stand alone joe because they didn't want to order it in. (To put it in a table) 

My costco doesn't have any joes on their website.  So Im not sure if they have them on the floor.   They have a different brand on their website. 

My egg dealer, demo XL egg is. $1044.  20lbs lump, ash catcher and ash tool, lump starters full warranty, and i think there at some other things i forgot. And any accessories i buy at the time of pick up are at a big discount.   The nest is an extra $75 if i wanted it but i built a table.

So in my area at the price difference is huge and I'm sure my food won't taste $1000 better.   And those bells and wistles are not worth the difference in my area.

I mean it's cooking on 2000 year old technology.  If a company adds a bunch of flashy accessories to draw in more market share and it works,  more power to them.   But in my area they seem to be charging for those accessories big time. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    If I were in the market to spend 2k on a grill I'd go  WSGC for sure 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Focker said:

@Focker,  tell me why, cause I don't see it.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    they were selling old stock big joes for 999.00 near me the last few weeks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Mikea5232 said:
    I have 1 joe dealer in my area.  $1600 for the older big joe and $1900 for the new. They just got out of selling eggs and moved in joes.  They wouldn't sell me the stand alone joe because they didn't want to order it in. (To put it in a table) 

My costco doesn't have any joes on their website.  So Im not sure if they have them on the floor.   They have a different brand on their website. 

My egg dealer, demo XL egg is. $1044.  20lbs lump, ash catcher and ash tool, lump starters full warranty, and i think there at some other things i forgot. And any accessories i buy at the time of pick up are at a big discount.   The nest is an extra $75 if i wanted it but i built a table.

So in my area at the price difference is huge and I'm sure my food won't taste $1000 better.   And those bells and wistles are not worth the difference in my area.

I mean it's cooking on 2000 year old technology.  If a company adds a bunch of flashy accessories to draw in more market share and it works,  more power to them.   But in my area they seem to be charging for those accessories big time. 

They are selling the new one in the UK as stand alone without a nest.  RRP the same as the stand alone XL.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2017
    Focker said:
    So, only $300 more for a nest, side shelves, a better gasket, better bands, a Smokeware Cap, and an AR.

In hindsight, the whole a la carte thing is such a PITA, and most are not even aware of these aftermarket offerings.  

I have the stock and aftermarket stuff in my store......as do a lot of reputable dealers.  Pretty easy to show people the side by side differences and let them make the decision on their own.

But I'll just take that other stuff and put it in the box with the Egg, and tell the consumer they're dumb & this is what they need.  Not a PITA anymore, and I'll make more money then selling a la carte.  I'll even throw in a free bag of BGE charcoal.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    hey all , I stopped by bbq world today and they had the new big Joe on display and I was blown away . It's amazing the amount of progression KJ has had . For me my eggs will always be green but they aren't making it easy these days . I mean seriously it's like you get every bell and whistle included . I don't get how BGE can just watch this happen . any word on new BGE stuff coming out to contend ?? 
    bye honey boo boo see ya GIF
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HeavyG
    Mikea5232 said:

At a Costco Roadshow the price for a Big Joe is $1499.

Most Roadshows also offer a deal where the first person to offer to buy the Big Joe demo (displayed but never cooked on) also gets a free KJ Jr.

Even if one hates KJ it is still worth hitting a Roadshow to buy some KJ charcoal - 2 20 pound bags for $30.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    HeavyG said:
    Mikea5232 said:

Most Roadshows also offer a deal where the first person to offer to buy the Big Joe demo (displayed but never cooked on) also gets a free KJ Jr.

Even if one hates KJ it is still worth hitting a Roadshow to buy some KJ charcoal - 2 20 pound bags for $30.
    I didn't know if you bought the demo big Joe you could also get a junior.  That's a deal you can't pass on...
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Counting down until this thread gets buffaloed.. 3....2....1...

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    Mikea5232 said:

I didn't know if you bought the demo big Joe you could also get a junior.  That's a deal you can't pass on...
    Tis a good deal. 

The stipulation is tho that you have to wait until the Roadshow is over and cart it off at the end of the last day. Makes sense.

There have been some rumors that they may do away with the free KJ Jr. deal but still seems the practice so far this year.

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    We can only hope that with competitive competition prices will drop (that would be nice wouldn't it!)..... but like they say. Once you go Green...........................actually I don't know what they say but my egg sure does match my grass real well!.  Green for me!  But i am a fan of delicious food no matter where it comes from.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    @tjv, not speaking for @focker but I share the same opinion on this...

I have two BGE and 2 KJ's. Owned for about the same amount of time and have used about the same amount. The KJ JR being the least used. 

For me it's the open the box and 15 mins later grill or smoke anything factor, literally it's all there under one company and one warranty.  No shopping around on different sites and dealing with 2-4 companies on top of BGE, paying additional shipping fees. 

Also my KJ's perform the same as my BGE's but don't have the constant alignment issues with the bands. No junky plate setter, better thermo, better gasket, same quality customer service. 

Not bashing BGE but giving you my opinion. 
    VA Beach
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    HeavyG said:
    Mikea5232 said:

I have seen posts on the "other Kamado forum" that the lump is now "Big Block" and 30 lbs bag for $22. Price per pound is not $0.72 vs $0.75 from before. Better quality cheaper price.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    HeavyG said:
    Mikea5232 said:

On the old Joe.  Is the Roadshow price going to stay the same with the new Joe?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    edited March 2017
    This guys a **** tool bag.  Go cook on your Joe and be happy, stop trying to be a drama queen. They Both do the same EXACT THING....it's not a miracle.