Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next level cast iron seasoning

Options
2»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

1. Strip pan with lye or electrolysis
    2. Throw the flax away immediately
    3.  Reseason

If you pay shipping to and from, I will offer to strip and reseason it properly for you.  I have 4 pans in the lye bath now.  
    Brandon,
    Rather than to use Easy Off on my new carbon steel skillet to the 3rd attempt what is the lye mixture, how long and any other hints and warnings? BTW I sent you a PM here plus an email Friday - what do you do? Work all the time and never read your mail?  =)
    Ron, I'm still having problems with my carbon steel as well.
    Last attempt was with the "puck" product. Just lost a fairly large chip that popped off all the way down to base steel. Never had a problem seasoning and keeping my regular cast iron seasoned.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

3.  Reseason

If you pay shipping to and from, I will offer to strip and reseason it properly for you.  I have 4 pans in the lye bath now.  
    Brandon,
    Rather than to use Easy Off on my new carbon steel skillet to the 3rd attempt what is the lye mixture, how long and any other hints and warnings? BTW I sent you a PM here plus an email Friday - what do you do? Work all the time and never read your mail?  =)
    Ron, I'm still having problems with my carbon steel as well.
    Last attempt was with the "puck" product. Just lost a fairly large chip that popped off all the way down to base steel. Never had a problem seasoning and keeping my regular cast iron seasoned.
    Leroy has been bending over backwards trying to help me thru my attempts and subsequent failures. Last week I got so p*ssed that I threw the d*mn thing in the garbage can! Leroy convinced me to try it again so I dug it out but it's still out of sight - out of mind in my garage!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Focker said:
    It takes time, and patience, to fully season a skillet.  And most importantly, this is an ongoing process when owning, and operating, CI.  

When it comes to preparing eggs, the best thing I did, was buy a TFal Pro nonstick pan dedicated solely for the delicate cooks.

Eggs and cast iron don't mesh well, and I can't tell any difference, and very little fat is needed.
    Found mine at Kohls for $30 or so. 

Judging by pics, did you coat the entire pan?  500 plus for an hr, a few times, and that entire pan should be much much darker.

Another option to strip is lye.  I found some at Lowe's in the plumbing dept.  Add the lye, to water, in a 5 gal bucket.  Suspend the pan where the water line is approaching the coil.  Wait a couple of weeks.  Wash with dish soap, reseason.

Total cost of $15 to strip, lesson learned.
    Use proper PPE if you go further down the rabit hole, lye is caustic.

Eggs are probably the worst thing to cook starting off.  Frying, bacon on simmer, sauteing veggies in EVOO, browning ground chuck for tacos, pan pizza, are perfect cooks that will season a pan as you go.  When I put a fresh pan into the rotation, I usually dedicate it for bacon alone, for a half dozen breakfasts before moving on.  

Shortening will work.  Pam(canola) is another Gris/Wags favorite.  Bacon grease is another decent option.  For me, I prefer grapeseed.  Then ongoing maintenance between cooks its a very light spray of Pam, then wipe with a towel.
    Thanks for the info Fock.

As mentioned above, I covered the entire pan, minus the handle, with a very thin coat of flaxseed and baked at 500 for an hour. Then let cool, then reapplied oil, then back in the oven, etc. This, ten times over. Seems consistent with what you have recommended above. 

The pan never changed colour that significantly and ended up a dark yellowish-gray (the yellow largely being the result of the flaxseed). To my eyes, the Finex is much more gray in hue than a Lodge, Griswold, etc. when new. I'm thinking it's quite possible that this is what contributes to you seeing a brown periphery, while it may not be discernile on a pan like a Lodge. 

As mentioned, at this point in the process, it was still not the non-stick surface I was looking for. This is when I added oil and cranked the stove, resulting in the black non-stick sheen seen in the photos.

Given I used the exact technique you employ and have recommended above, is it therefore fair to say that we are both "approaching entry level"?  ;)

For those not wanting to mess with pure lye, I have read that Easy Off is a good alternative. It contains lye, so use caution. Simply spray the pan (outdoors!) and place it in a sealed garbage bag for a few days. Then wash very thoroughly. I have not been through this process, so best to fact check if you wish to proceed - Jeff Rogers has videos about this process. 

@JohnH12: While your statement rings true, the quest for perfection in what we do is what drives many to this forum. Sure, I could do things the way my grandparents did, but I'd rather obsess.  It's a hobby, after all. =)
    Believe it or not, I understand.
    There's a very fine line between a hobby and addiction and we're all guilty to some degree.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

3.  Reseason

Brandon,
    Ron, I sent a reply on Sat?
    Looking at my email, it isn't there??

I use 1 lb per 5 gal.  There really isn't an incorrect ratio, it will take longer if you have a weaker concentration.  Add some lye to your water, stir, add pan, check for carbon removal in a few days.  If your not getting results you like, add some more lye, repeat.

A couple of weeks will remove the most crudded up pans.  There may be a stubborn small spot or two.  A stiff brush will take care of it.

I have restored some doozies for cheap this way, antique stores, CL, and fleabay.  Actually, I seek them out.  The more crudded up they are, cheaper the price, then I dicker down some more.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

3.  Reseason

Brandon,

I use 1 lb per 5 gal.  There really isn't an incorrect ratio, it will take longer if you have a weaker concentration.  Add some lye to your water, stir, add pan, check for carbon removal in a few days.  If your not getting results you like, add some more lye, repeat.

A couple of weeks will remove the most crudded up pans.  There may be a stubborn small spot or two.  A stiff brush will take care of it.

I have restored some doozies for cheap this way, antique stores, CL, and fleabay.  Actually, I seek them out.  The more crudded up they are, cheaper the price, then I dicker down some more.
    Thanks for all the more recent advice! But UPS is delivering the scrap material for my knife sheath which I was really wondering about...but you say you replied and I didn't get it so tough sh*t for me LOL! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @focker: Mighty kind offer! Will think on it. 

....Can I also send my car for you to wax? 

No problem, actually did this for a fellow egghead on the old forum, a 12" pan he inherited, from the North Woods.  You are not the first person to have issues, and definitely not the last.

After clay, polish, and EX-P sealant, would you like Natty's Red?  Natty's Blue?  Natty's Red over Blue?  Or Natty's Blue over Red? 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

3.  Reseason

Brandon,

Thanks for all the more recent advice! But UPS is delivering the scrap material for my knife sheath which I was really wondering about...but you say you replied and I didn't get it so tough sh*t for me LOL! 
    I need your cell bud.  Email it, and I will call during some down time, painting for 3 days straight.  Pretty sure I have given you mine.  And I'm pretty sure, you have forgotten. J/k
    You can call anytime.  I will get back.

I'm sorry, my house is a clusterFock right now.  Like sleeping on a mattress on the floor clusterFock with a garage full of furniture, and clothes in totes.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You guys be really careful with the lye.  It blinds in an instant.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You guys be really careful with the lye.  It blinds in an instant.

I've never had to use lye for anything, but that is a valuable tidbit, thanks.

Phoenix