Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next level cast iron seasoning

Options
Took up @paqman's advice on the use of flaxseed oil and then followed it up with repeated seasoning and high heat application on the stovetop. 

The photos below are are of a three day old pan heavily seasoned and completely dry. Believe it or not, the sheen is purely polymerized oil......

Cooked a dutch baby in this bad boy this morning and the results were simply incredible. Wish I had snapped a photo! It slid off the pan effortlessly with no drag or residue. 

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Far from next level, approaching entry level, but it is operable, for now.  You've got some lernin' to do son, quite a number on that pricey iron.  :o

Your flat stovetop burner isn't getting the iron hot enough.  The brown discoloration around the inside corners, highlights this.

For starters, it wouldn't hurt to season top, bottom, sides, pretty much all of it basically except the coil handle, in the oven or egg.  Same for the lid, minus the knob.  
    500-600, thin layers of oil of choice.  

Here are a couple shots of my $30 "Next Level" #10 Griswold EPU for reference. 
    Handle, sides, top, bottom....even, shiney jet black.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Dang that was harsh.  I tried the flaxseed oil and found it to be more slippery than any other method I've used (a good thing), but the one trouble I had was it flaking off.   Maybe needed more coats, or a gradual break in.
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Dang that was harsh.  I tried the flaxseed oil and found it to be more slippery than any other method I've used (a good thing), but the one trouble I had was it flaking off.   Maybe needed more coats, or a gradual break in.
    Nothing wrong with honest advice.  I'm not one to pu$$yfoot around, with anything I do in life.  It will help him 

If you're going to claim next level, it better well be.

Many on the Griswold Wags forum had issues several years back when Canter's blog was the thang.  I'm talking entire collections stripped and reseasoned due to the flaking.

There was an egger here I helped, who burned a 20lb tank of lp or two, with some fancy flax on his BS griddle, to have it all flake off.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Stove top really doesn't do the job.  You're only getting the hot spots really.  Need a device that heats the item from all points, evenly, for optimum seasoning.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @focker next level of **** head :)
  • Focker
    Options
    Lit said:
    Says a lot, coming from you. ;)
    Pardon me, but I have a bbq forum reputation to maintain.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The flaking only occurs when the oil layers are too thick.  It will become darker with time and regular use. I had to strip the first one I did but it's because I was taking shortcuts and not wiping off enough oil.  There must be no oil remaining, just an oily film.

Options
    Focker said:
    Lit said:
    Says a lot, coming from you. ;)
    Pardon me, but I have a bbq forum reputation to maintain.
    Is it safe to say you two are like a two headed ****? Two dicks on a shaft?  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Options
    paqman said:
    The flaking only occurs when the oil layers are too thick.  It will become darker with time and regular use. I had to strip the first one I did but it's because I was taking shortcuts and not wiping off enough oil.  There must be no oil remaining, just an oily film.
    FWIW, the hardcore collectors who had issues when I started out, use the same "less is more" approach to seasoning.  Per their recommendations, I avoided flax altogether.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Again, Mr. Focker don't want clumpy seasoning, even on cast iron! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Options
    Again, Mr. Fockeru don't want clumpy seasoning, even on cast iron! 
    Other than repeating my advice, do you, or @lit, have anything helpful to offer the OP?   ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, why do you need to season a $200 pan that comes preseasoned?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Love the pan - absolutely a beauty, but I must agree with our direct friend  @Focker

IMO, i'd strip that pan (electrolysis) and start again with 5 thin coats of lard baked - either in the oven or grill.  Sorry, I know not what you wanted to hear, but it will cost you nothing but some more time.

Canter should be coated in flaxseed oil - that method has a horrible success rate.  Out of my 75 pieces, I've only had to go back and re-season 3.  All three were the ones I tried flaxseed on.

Phoenix 
  • odie91
    Options
    Lol, I can't tell if you guys and focker have some animosity or are just joking around.....?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Legume said:
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, why do you need to season a $200 pan that comes preseasoned?
    I was wondering that also.

I didn't bother to do any additional seasoning to my Finex. Just started using it as is right out of the box and let it continue to develop more over time.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,294
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "Next level" was being used in jest because I've done so many applications. 

At first, I applied 10 coats of incredibly thin flaxseed (none visible on the surface) and let it sit in the oven at 500 for an hour between each application (as per some of the advice above). The pan did not darken significantly at this point. Then I fried a few eggs, which stuck terribly(!!). This is when I did supplemental seasonings on the stovetop and let the pan sit on high heat until the oil was smoking. The pan darkened significantly and this is when it really started to become non-stick. 

@Focker: Given that I had proceeded in the manner that you had suggested above and that it did not initially yield a non-stick surface, what modifications would you recommend to the approach? Up until this round of seasoning on this pan, I had used shortening rather than flaxseed for all of my CI. Maybe this is the difference. 

@Legume: I was doing some newly acquired carbon steel in flaxseed and figured that the Finex could use some applications as well (as the pan's literature referenced having been seasoned with flaxseed but could be read to understand that only one coat had been applied). 

So far, I'm understanding that the consensus is that the oil is perhaps:
    i) too thick; and
    ii) not fully "cured" (for lack of a better word) in the corners.

Given the steps I have taken described above, including the many thin coats of oil exposed to high, even heat (i.e., oven), is it advisable to do nothing further, to apply more high heat to brown the corners, or to simply strip and reseason using a different approach (and if so, what)? As I say, the pan is very slick now and it has been built upon the recommendations above, so I'm hoping more high heat to the corners is all it needs to finish it off. Should it be jet black everywhere?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Just use it.  It will become darker and darker over time.

edited March 2017
    Options
    This is when I did supplemental seasonings on the stovetop and let the pan sit on high heat until the oil was smoking. The pan darkened significantly and this is when it really started to become non-stick. 
    Missed that part.  What do you mean by supplemental seasoning?  Heat the pan with oil in it?

edited March 2017
    Options
    It takes time, and patience, to fully season a skillet.  And most importantly, this is an ongoing process when owning, and operating, CI.  

When it comes to preparing eggs, the best thing I did, was buy a TFal Pro nonstick pan dedicated solely for the delicate cooks.

Eggs and cast iron don't mesh well, and I can't tell any difference, and very little fat is needed.
    Found mine at Kohls for $30 or so. 

Judging by pics, did you coat the entire pan?  500 plus for an hr, a few times, and that entire pan should be much much darker.

Another option to strip is lye.  I found some at Lowe's in the plumbing dept.  Add the lye, to water, in a 5 gal bucket.  Suspend the pan where the water line is approaching the coil.  Wait a couple of weeks.  Wash with dish soap, reseason.

Total cost of $15 to strip, lesson learned.
    Use proper PPE if you go further down the rabit hole, lye is caustic.

Eggs are probably the worst thing to cook starting off.  Frying, bacon on simmer, sauteing veggies in EVOO, browning ground chuck for tacos, pan pizza, are perfect cooks that will season a pan as you go.  When I put a fresh pan into the rotation, I usually dedicate it for bacon alone, for a half dozen breakfasts before moving on.  

Shortening will work.  Pam(canola) is another Gris/Wags favorite.  Bacon grease is another decent option.  For me, I prefer grapeseed.  Then ongoing maintenance between cooks its a very light spray of Pam, then wipe with a towel.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I'm amazed at the current technology and processes it takes just to season a piece of cast iron cookware.
    Our forefathers and mothers, who cooked over unregulated fire, would just shake their heads in amazement, laugh, and cook on! There might even be a "tsk, tsk", and a giggle thrown in.  :o
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    I'm amazed at the current technology and processes it takes just to season a piece of cast iron cookware.
    Our forefathers and mothers, who cooked over unregulated fire, would just shake their heads in amazement, laugh, and cook on! There might even be a "tsk, tsk", call @Focker a prick, and a giggle thrown in.  :o
    FTFY
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    Our forefathers and mothers, who cooked over unregulated fire, would just shake their heads in amazement, laugh, and cook on! There might even be a "tsk, tsk", call @Focker a prick, and a giggle thrown in.  :o
    FTFY
    Again, your input here is so valuable. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• odie91
    Options
    Focker said:

Another option to strip is lye.  I found some at Lowe's in the plumbing dept.  Add the lye, to water, in a 5 gal bucket.  Suspend the pan where the water line is approaching the coil.  Wait a couple of weeks.  Wash with dish soap, reseason.

Hm interesting.  I could never seem to find Lye in stores (including Lowe's).  I use it to make homemade soap.  Best luck I've had is at Menards
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I always like to season the pans in the oven flipped upside down. Helps prevent any thick spots that might fleck later on. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I'm a bit confused...

I have my Great, Great, Great Grandmothers #8 Chicken Fryer and I have not done ANYTHING to it.... and its better than my Calphalon as far as NON stick properties go....

Just cook on it and it will get it to be where it needs to...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Focker said:
    It takes time, and patience, to fully season a skillet.  And most importantly, this is an ongoing process when owning, and operating, CI.  

When it comes to preparing eggs, the best thing I did, was buy a TFal Pro nonstick pan dedicated solely for the delicate cooks.

Eggs and cast iron don't mesh well, and I can't tell any difference, and very little fat is needed.

Judging by pics, did you coat the entire pan?  500 plus for an hr, a few times, and that entire pan should be much much darker.

Eggs are probably the worst thing to cook starting off.  Frying, bacon on simmer, sauteing veggies in EVOO, browning ground chuck for tacos, pan pizza, are perfect cooks that will season a pan as you go.  When I put a fresh pan into the rotation, I usually dedicate it for bacon alone, for a half dozen breakfasts before moving on.  

Shortening will work.  Pam(canola) is another Gris/Wags favorite.  Bacon grease is another decent option.  For me, I prefer grapeseed.  Then ongoing maintenance between cooks its a very light spray of Pam, then wipe with a towel.
    Thanks for the info Fock.

As mentioned above, I covered the entire pan, minus the handle, with a very thin coat of flaxseed and baked at 500 for an hour. Then let cool, then reapplied oil, then back in the oven, etc. This, ten times over. Seems consistent with what you have recommended above. 

The pan never changed colour that significantly and ended up a dark yellowish-gray (the yellow largely being the result of the flaxseed). To my eyes, the Finex is much more gray in hue than a Lodge, Griswold, etc. when new. I'm thinking it's quite possible that this is what contributes to you seeing a brown periphery, while it may not be discernile on a pan like a Lodge. 

As mentioned, at this point in the process, it was still not the non-stick surface I was looking for. This is when I added oil and cranked the stove, resulting in the black non-stick sheen seen in the photos.

Given I used the exact technique you employ and have recommended above, is it therefore fair to say that we are both "approaching entry level"?  ;)

For those not wanting to mess with pure lye, I have read that Easy Off is a good alternative. It contains lye, so use caution. Simply spray the pan (outdoors!) and place it in a sealed garbage bag for a few days. Then wash very thoroughly. I have not been through this process, so best to fact check if you wish to proceed - Jeff Rogers has videos about this process. 

@JohnH12: While your statement rings true, the quest for perfection in what we do is what drives many to this forum. Sure, I could do things the way my grandparents did, but I'd rather obsess.  It's a hobby, after all. =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    fwiw, my wok was straw colored for the first hundred or so cooks before truly turning black, color is not a true indicator of seasoning and non stick ;) everyone should have a bottle of lye in the food cabinet, how else you make pretzels =) i like the handle on that pan
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

Thanks for the info Fock.

As mentioned above, I covered the entire pan, minus the handle, with a very thin coat of flaxseed and baked at 500 for an hour. Then let cool, then reapplied oil, then back in the oven, etc. This, ten times over. Seems consistent with what you have recommended above. 

The pan never changed colour that significantly and ended up a dark yellowish-gray (the yellow largely being the result of the flaxseed). To my eyes, the Finex is much more gray in hue than a Lodge, Griswold, etc. when new. I'm thinking it's quite possible that this is what contributes to you seeing a brown periphery, while it may not be discernile on a pan like a Lodge. 

As mentioned, at this point in the process, it was still not the non-stick surface I was looking for. This is when I added oil and cranked the stove, resulting in the black non-stick sheen seen in the photos.

Given I used the exact technique you employ and have recommended above, is it therefore fair to say that we are both "approaching entry level"?  ;)

For those not wanting to mess with pure lye, I have read that Easy Off is a good alternative. It contains lye, so use caution. Simply spray the pan (outdoors!) and place it in a sealed garbage bag for a few days. Then wash very thoroughly. I have not been through this process, so best to fact check if you wish to proceed - Jeff Rogers has videos about this process. 

@JohnH12: While your statement rings true, the quest for perfection in what we do is what drives many to this forum. Sure, I could do things the way my grandparents did, but I'd rather obsess.  It's a hobby, after all. =)
    When new and unseasoned, its all gray.

I have tried the Easy Off method, it failed to remove the more difficult, built up, carbon.  Moved on to better methods.

I have seasoned my fair share of pans, old and new, a Lodge hibachi, 2 Lodge Signatures, 3 CS woks, 2 CS paellas, 2 Lodge CS grill pans..I have never had a gray or yellow pan.  I have used EVOO, lard, canola, shortening, Pam, grapeseed.

1. Strip pan with lye or electrolysis
    2. Throw the flax away immediately
    3.  Reseason

If you pay shipping to and from, I will offer to strip and reseason it properly for you.  I have 4 pans in the lye bath now.  With Spring here, I soon plan to fill the oven up with iron, and open the windows, for a full day of seasoning.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @focker: Mighty kind offer! Will think on it. 

....Can I also send my car for you to wax? 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Focker said:

1. Strip pan with lye or electrolysis
    2. Throw the flax away immediately
    3.  Reseason

If you pay shipping to and from, I will offer to strip and reseason it properly for you.  I have 4 pans in the lye bath now.  
    Brandon,
    Rather than to use Easy Off on my new carbon steel skillet to the 3rd attempt what is the lye mixture, how long and any other hints and warnings? BTW I sent you a PM here plus an email Friday - what do you do? Work all the time and never read your mail?  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.