Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torch for lighting egg question

Options
2»

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @Ladeback69 Since you don't need to hold the cane upside down you can use the cheaper propane bottles. The difference between how hot the mapp gas and propane burn is minimal.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Used it for th first time today on both eggs. I was holding it in one spot for 30-40 seconds and when I let off it seemed nothing was really lit.

The second attempt on my large egg I did the same and noticed some of the coals underneath were lit.

guess I'm used to seeing a flame when starting. So I wasn't sure how well lit the charcoal was. It was pre-used charcoal if that makes a difference??
    Should have just paid the few extra bucks and gone with the MAPP. It burns hotter and works every time.  One bottle will last a year, or more, with regular cooking and upside down too with that torch head. 
    The head I got I can go upside down. The ts4000

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Should have just paid the few extra bucks and gone with the MAPP. It burns hotter and works every time.  One bottle will last a year, or more, with regular cooking and upside down too with that torch head. 
    This would be true if they still made MAPP gas. But they haven't produced it for about 10 years now. The stuff they sell now is not MAPP, it is Map-Pro, a MAPP wannabe that burns nowhere near as hot as MAPP and insignificantly hotter than plain old propane. Map-Pro is $10, Propane, about $3+.

Regardless, all you're trying to do is light charcoal anyway, not cut metal. Even if they DID still make MAPP, it would be overkill. My propane gets plenty hot enough for charcoal (or plumbing) and the torch head works well upside down.

As mentioned above...
    It has been said before, but it is just the torch head that makes a difference.  I bought a Map/pro torch with the TS8000 head, but now I just use cheap propane. Propane burns at 3,623 degrees, Map/pro burns at 3,730. There is no discernible difference when lighting.  Get the good torch head, but use the cheap gas.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Regardless of gas type, it appears ruined head was due to prolonged insertion in lit bed of lump.  Sold my Looftlighter (it was a warranty replacement that's getting old, afraid it could die any time), instead I use butane torch or TS8000 depending on which I find first ... once I get the lump sparking in usually less than a minute, I use an old thrift store hairdryer to complete the task.
    canuckland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    GregW said:h
    I just bought this and a cinder of gas, will be picking it up today after work at Lowes.  Looking forward to using it tomorrow maybe tonight.

BernzOmatic Lawn and Garden Torch Handheld Head
    I had one of those for a short period of time. It's untimely end came from leaving the tip buried in the charcoal to long and it burned up the torch end. After that it never burned right again.

So you would leave it unattended with its tip barreried in lump?  I won't do that, it only took about 4-5 minutes to get a good going.  I am going to try it again soon to see how long it takes to get egg up to grill steaks.  This is saving me time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • McFly
    Options
    Great info in this thread, found it when I was at Home Depot.  Thanks  all!