Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torch for lighting egg question

At home depot.  Looking at buying the one on the left.  Will this work for lighting a mini egg, and possibly a large from time to time?  Guess a main concern is, can I use it upside down and will it still work?

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited March 2017
    I recommend the one that looks like a walking cane. can use the cheaper propane, no need to hold it upside down,and the cane keeps you farther from the sparks, your shirts will thank you.
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    I use something similar. It does go out on occasion, which forced me to tip it back over, light it, and then stick it in the charcoal to light it up. Works well on the large.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    edited March 2017
    have you used the napkin oil trick in the mini. it works best if you light it thru the bottom vent on a mini under the lump. clean out ash, add lump, open lower vent, push twisted oil/napkin into lower vent, light with dome open. its the fastest way ive found with the mini
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Get this one and you never have to tip the bottle. I love mine. 

• +1 MAP Pro, got one after my looflitter died
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    2+ Map pro.  Recent convert and love it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Another vote for MAPP. I kept trying the propane and it was going out. Had to use my flamethrower butane attachment for a while and finally got frustrated and bought a MAPP torch and never looked back. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It has been said before, but it is just the torch head that makes a difference.  I bought a Map/pro torch with the TS8000 head, but now I just use cheap propane. Propane burns at 3,623 degrees, Map/pro burns at 3,730. There is no discernible difference when lighting.  Get the good torch head, but use the cheap gas.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Mapp with a hose for myMini. Use weed burner on Mini-Max and Larges
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    So thanks for the input. This is what I came home with. Now any advice on using it in my mini or large? For instance, should I just hold the flame in a tennis ball sized area for 30 seconds ect??

thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• @bhedges1987 that'll work. Which ever way you do it, I recommend eye protection from the sparks.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    The lump does spark and eye protection would be smart.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bhedges1987
    @bhedges1987 that'll work. Which ever way you do it, I recommend eye protection from the sparks.
    Bought a pair while I was there ;) Just need any tips on starting it now. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have this set-up. For low and slow, 1 spot for 30 seconds. For grilling/high-heat, 3 spots about 8-12 inches from one another in a triangle shape.
  • bhedges1987
    I have this set-up. For low and slow, 1 spot for 30 seconds. For grilling/high-heat, 3 spots about 8-12 inches from one another in a triangle shape.
    Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    If the Egg is near an electric outlet, theres also the Looftlighter
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    So thanks for the input. This is what I came home with. Now any advice on using it in my mini or large? For instance, should I just hold the flame in a tennis ball sized area for 30 seconds ect??

thanks
    I would suggest you put the tip into the pile of charcoal. If you just shoot the flame on the surface you're going to get sparks.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The head unit for the map pro works better than the one for the propane , when you tip the bottle upside down. You can use the map pro head unit with propane bottles to save some $$. 

The cane style lighter is bulky in my opinion , especially when traveling for eggfest etc. And works for all of my eggs and grills. Easy to pick up and use wherever I need it. Used to be a big fan of the weedburner, but this is my go to now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bhedges1987
    Used it for th first time today on both eggs. I was holding it in one spot for 30-40 seconds and when I let off it seemed nothing was really lit.

The second attempt on my large egg I did the same and noticed some of the coals underneath were lit.

guess I'm used to seeing a flame when starting. So I wasn't sure how well lit the charcoal was. It was pre-used charcoal if that makes a difference??

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I just bought this and a cinder of gas, will be picking it up today after work at Lowes.  Looking forward to using it tomorrow maybe tonight.

BernzOmatic Lawn and Garden Torch Handheld Head
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Over the years I have used about everything. Cubes, paper towels and oil, chimney, electric, and hand torch. I use the cane now, and find that to be the best.
  • bhedges1987
    Over the years I have used about everything. Cubes, paper towels and oil, chimney, electric, and hand torch. I use the cane now, and find that to be the best.
    Cane? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Over the years I have used about everything. Cubes, paper towels and oil, chimney, electric, and hand torch. I use the cane now, and find that to be the best.
    Cane? 
    the one like Ladeback69 showed. It looks like a cane to me.
  • bhedges1987
    Ah, I figured. Was just double checking. 

Any update on the eggfest ? @Ladeback69

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Ladeback69
    Ah, I figured. Was just double checking. 

Any update on the eggfest ? @Ladeback69
    I need to talk to the wife to make sure it's cool with her, but I think it will.  I hope to put out something this weekend ore next week.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ok,  the cane lighter will now be my way to light the eggs from now on.  I cleaned out the egg, put in fresh Rockwood and leftover lump, cherry wood and hickory wood.  I screwed the bottle on, turned it on, pushed the lighter button and held the flame on the lump moving it around for about 4 minutes.   Closed the lid and it shoot up to over 200.  That's the fastest I have ever got my XL up to 200.  I then set it up for a L&S and that will be in another thread later.  I higher recommend the cane.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I just bought this and a cinder of gas, will be picking it up today after work at Lowes.  Looking forward to using it tomorrow maybe tonight.

BernzOmatic Lawn and Garden Torch Handheld Head
    I had one of those for a short period of time. It's untimely end came from leaving the tip buried in the charcoal to long and it burned up the torch end. After that it never burned right again.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Used it for th first time today on both eggs. I was holding it in one spot for 30-40 seconds and when I let off it seemed nothing was really lit.

The second attempt on my large egg I did the same and noticed some of the coals underneath were lit.

guess I'm used to seeing a flame when starting. So I wasn't sure how well lit the charcoal was. It was pre-used charcoal if that makes a difference??
    Should have just paid the few extra bucks and gone with the MAPP. It burns hotter and works every time.  One bottle will last a year, or more, with regular cooking and upside down too with that torch head. 
    Dave - Austin, TX