Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First "Turbo Butt" attempt

Options
Going for my first turbo butt with Egg at 350. 14 pounds total. I'm hoping for a 6-7 hour cook time. The off color on the pork is from the umbrella shadow. 

XL BGE
MD

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing the finish. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Good luck, but you shouldn't need it! I've never gone back to lo & slo since finding my turbo results tasted the same.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    How's it coming along? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    3 hours in and I'm reading 149 degrees on one and 140 on the other. Smelling great and I can hear the juice sizzling in the drip pan. Gonna take a peek.

XL BGE
    MD
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I've done turbo once. That butt had more of a ham taste but I'm not sure if it was the turbo temp or maybe something else that caused the ham taste. I'm still undecided on turbo but will probably do it again.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• dsrguns
    Options
    5 hours in. IT at 194. Probed, gonna go to 200-205 IT.

XL BGE
    MD
  • dsrguns
    Options
    5 1/2 hour cook.

XL BGE
    MD
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    very nice !! I just hit 200* on a 9lb low and slow I put on at 8am.:-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    Would love to know how these compare to low and slow. I often cook lamb leg (live in a Turkish area of London - lots of great, cheap lamb) and had always done it at 110c all day but last weekend did 2.5kg at 160c for 5hrs and it was better than low and slow - pulled much easier. I always find my pork gets a little dry on the outside when slow
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Good looking finished product!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• RRP
    Options
    Over a couple years I supplied 12 butts plus pulling them for a neighborhood picnic. Though that meant a definite time commitment it also gave me a good chance to do side by side taste and texture tests between lo & slo and turbo cooks. Honestly neither my wife or I could tell any difference. With that conclusion I went with turbo and have never gone back. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Me, nor any of the people I make pulled pork for, can tell the difference between lo and slow and turbo either.   
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • dsrguns
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that there is no noticeable difference between my low and slow and turbo butts although this was only my first go turbo style. I will go turbo on my next effort also. 5 1/2 hours versus 10 plus freed up some of my time which was nice. We finished 1 off and I got to break in my new Ary Vacmaster 215 for future meals.

XL BGE
    MD
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    RRP said:
    Good luck, but you shouldn't need it! I've never gone back to lo & slo since finding my turbo results tasted the same.
    Agree...if not better. 

Does turbo render more fat? It seems much less greasy than low and slow.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Agree...if not better. 

I hadn't given that much thought, but it stands to reason higher heat would render more fat doesn't it? Good observation!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Agree...if not better. 

I hadn't given that much thought, but it stands to reason higher heat would render more fat doesn't it? Good observation!
    I'm not sure about that logic. I don't cook bacon hot and fast to render the fat, just the opposite. Either way, do what you all like and works for you. I fall between LS and turbo somewhere. Very cut is unique. Hell, you can put three butts on the same cooker and get hours difference between them. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I do mine at 300 degrees. Kinda in the middle. Just my preference. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Agree...if not better. 

I'm not sure about that logic. I don't cook bacon hot and fast to render the fat, just the opposite. Either way, do what you all like and works for you. I fall between LS and turbo somewhere. Very cut is unique. Hell, you can put three butts on the same cooker and get hours difference between them. 
    I agree with you about the bacon results, Pete, but bacon is thin and doesn't have the big pockets and veins of hidden fat like pork butts do. Oh well - to each his own!
    BTW have you put that butcher block to use yet? Or has your hernia from lifting it gotten worst? ;)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Agree...if not better. 

I agree with you about the bacon results, Pete, but bacon is thin and doesn't have the big pockets and veins of hidden fat like pork butts do. Oh well - to each his own!
    BTW have you put that butcher block to use yet? Or has your hernia from lifting it gotten worst? ;)
    I have it on four legs, but haven't put it through any paces yet. ;) 
  • RRP
    Options
    That is a real show piece!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    In my egg, ribs don't render out as much fat cooking turbo vs low.  I'm not sure what temp pork fat/connective tissue begins to render, but I would figure how much time spent above that temp is what determines how much is rendered and what we probably really mean - drained out of the pork.

FTC resting of a butt would carry on this process even longer than say with ribs, further adding to the sameness of butts cooked either way.  Turbo ribs shoot up to finish temp so quickly, they just don't spend as much time above whatever pork fat/connective tissue melt temp is.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Legume said:
    In my egg, ribs don't render out as much fat cooking turbo vs low.  I'm not sure what temp pork fat/connective tissue begins to render, but I would figure how much time spent above that temp is what determines how much is rendered and what we probably really mean - drained out of the pork.

FTC resting of a butt would carry on this process even longer than say with ribs, further adding to the sameness of butts cooked either way.  Turbo ribs shoot up to finish temp so quickly, they just don't spend as much time above whatever pork fat/connective tissue melt temp is.
    That logic makes sense. I am undecided at the moment. But, I am leaning turbo for butts and lo 'n solo for ribs.

i do wonder how much my egg's temperature sweet spot plays into this. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Only downside you can't use tasty rubs when going turbo

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Conway_Twitty
    Options
    "TURBO"!!!  That's car stuff!!