Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It finally happened

Options
Iwannagrill
Iwannagrill Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my large egg for about 5 months. My low and slow cooks turn out great but my grilling has been hit or miss(except Trexing!!!!). I guess I really din't have my temps/times right. Even following advice from here wasn't really helping until the other day. I was trying to grill a couple of burgers but couldn't get the temp past 400(been lazy emptying ash) and they came out awesome. I tried some bonless skinless chicken breasts tonight using same temp. I have never had chicken so moist. [p]I have reached Eggvarna.[p]Randy

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Iwannagrill, it's a great feeling isn't it?

• CT Grillguy
    Options
    Iwannagrill,[p]That's great news! I grill 90% of the time on my Large and am in love with the results. Having a device that's so adept at the Low-n-slow as well as a champion quality grill is just heaven.
  • Whitetail
    Options
    Iwannagrill,
    Do you have a raised grid? If not I strongly urge you to get one. You can make a better more functional one than you can buy but either will do. I grill everything except steaks on a raised grid. This includes pork loin chops, boneless skinless chicken breasts, spatchcock chicken, salmon, burgers and dogs.[p]When you’re grilling the grid temp is much hotter than the dome temp. Since you are having trouble getting up to 400 the lower temps seem to be helping your results. The raised grid will help even more. It tends to help equalize the effects of hot and cold spots. If you used to use briquettes this was not something you had to worry too much about before. It will also allow you to go back to those higher temps with the same juicy results if you so desire. I like to grill non-fatty stuff like chicken breasts and loin chops as hot as possible without searing. For me this is about 425.