Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Louisiana - grills Kamado

Options
Hey guys going to be buying some sort of cooker for my birthday and as a celebratory gift for finally finishing my house remodel and getting moved in.

My local BGE dealer I'd rather not give them my money...however the local greenhouse where I frequent ..carries the Louisiana grills.. Very nice individual trying to talk me into one and I would rather give him my money if they are descent grills 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Gonna need to be more specific. They sell many different grills. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @pgprescott their Kamado ceramic series .. 18 or 22"

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I wouldn't do it, but I'm prolly not the best one to ask. I have no issues with buying a KJ or Primo, but the others, meh. The pellet grills are decent enough I suppose, but I would buy a Traeger, GMG, or camp chef before a Louisiana. Just too close in price for me not to pony up the extra. 2 cents. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I need to clarify too.. Price would be better than that .. Alot
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I believe you can buy the same kamado at Costco but I don't recall the price. I'm with @pgprescott and I would buy name brand ceramic before that one. Louisiana means something in pellet cookers in my area but they are buying an off the shelf kamado.

Here's some context for you - my brother-in-law owns a landscape company.  A few years ago, he tried to open as a BGE dealer as he does a lot of outdoor kitchens. No go. There were at least 4-5 Chinese companies that sell this exact same knock-off for cheap. The issue is consumer support.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Man that looks to be the same as a Vision and several other knockoffs. I have a vision classic medium I snagged at Sam's for $199 on clearance. Bought it to use at my camp. It works fine but its no where near the quality of my large or small egg. Its just not. It looks EXACTLY like the grill in your picture except for the stainless nest and top. 

Little Rock, AR

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @pgprescott their Kamado ceramic series .. 18 or 22"

From the pic it appears that the ceramic sticks out both above and below the bands. Many a dome has fallen out and broken due to the band getting loose. With the ceramic sticking out above and below like this I would imagine that you would have plenty of time to notice them getting loose. Plus if the bands stretch a bit during a high temp cook or clean burn you won't lose the dome that way as well.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    LG ceramics have been around for 3 or 4 years.  they really did not make any headway until they got into Costco last year.  They are in Costco again.  

Like Vision, LG is working the big box and retailer markets.  With LG, the primary difference between box and retailer grills is the stainless hardware.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm prolly not the best one to ask. I have no issues with buying a KJ or Primo, but the others, meh. The pellet grills are decent enough I suppose, but I would buy a Traeger, GMG, or camp chef before a Louisiana. Just too close in price for me not to pony up the extra. 2 cents. 
    We brought pellet grills into our store last year.  I looked at Traeger, GMG and LG.  I decided to go LG for couple reasons: 1, heavy porcelain coated cast grids.   2. no vent stack, so wife won't complain about having a smoker in the backyard.  3. the sliding sear plate is a reasonably good feature for getting the most out of the searing.....

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Looks like the Chinese Auplex version http://www.auplex.com/Grill/productlist.asp

or Fuzhou TOP Quality Ceramic Technology CO.,LTD