Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked shoulder Instant pot?

Options
I've read through several posts and can't find this anywhere.  I recently purchased an Instant Pot and love it!  Has anyone tried an initial smoke on BGE and then finish in Instant Pot?  I'm looking to try it this weekend but wanted to hear from people that actually know what they are doing!

Thanks,

BBQJdub
BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Just go turbo on the egg, not sure that it is worth it doing it in the Instant Pot.  Starting on the egg and then heating the Instant Pot, cooking the meat and letting the pressure release naturally will most likely be close to just doing it turbo on the egg.

That being said, ribs are fantastic!

edited March 2017
    Options
    I was just poking fun at the instapot...

but can you drink beer and tell lies about women around a instapot?

I guess ya could, but would ya want to?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Chef Charles
    Options
    I have followed your suggested approach for corned beef and it turned out fine.  That being said, the smoke flavour dissipates in the Instant Pot.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I've done butts on the Egg, I've done butts in the instant pot. Both work, but the flavor on the Egg is way better than the flavor from the pot. I think you would lose all the smoke flavor and definitely all the bark when you finish it in the pot. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Pork shoulder is great in the IP, just not smoked/BBQ-style. Many recipes have you IP the meat and then dump BBQ on it, then broil/high heat roast in the oven for a charred/glazed appearance and flavor. To me, this just replicates many restaurant ribs/pulled pork that are baked then slathered. If that's what you are used to, go for it. For people used to smoked, no. Carnitas-style turns out well in the IP. I even did a pork loin as carnitas in the IP and there was minimal difference between it and using a shoulder, due to it's moisture-retention ability.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Liquid smoke

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i dont have an instapot but if you have a recipe for corned beef you could sub in a pre smoked cured pork shoulder
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it