Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or MiniMax

Options
SaintJohnsEgger
SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
Been wanting a MiniMax but the small is cheaper so I am starting to lean towards the small. Any suggestions on which to get for my second Egg?

I really don't need a portable tailgating egg as I never tailgate. Any accessories should fit both. Just wandering if I will miss out on something if I go small instead of the MM?

Forgot to mention that I want a smaller egg for weeknight cooks so that is why I am wanting the second egg.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If the price of the Small includes the full size Nest I would jump on the Small.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    It's a no brainer. Small
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I bought a mini max to go with the large. I was after just what you mentioned, quick weeknight cooks. It's fit the bill for us. I like that the grate it close to the fire, searing steaks only takes a couple minutes.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    IMO - and that is an opinion of a non MM owner but a small owner I would say go with the small.  You get more lump, farther distance from fire (a more raised direct) type of cook.  The weight isn't that much different if you do decide to travel with and being in a nest at an almost close comfortable cooking level is well worth it.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Wayne357
    Wayne357 Posts: 11
    Options
    I purchased the MiniMax. Works great for my family. You have to see what works good for you and your family.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger said: Just wandering if I will miss out on something if I go small instead of the MM?
    Since I don't own a MM, I don't know what you think you may be missing, given the questionable portability that you said you don't need.  Whenever the XLBGE vs LBGE comes up, the majority of responses are "get the largest you can afford." If you follow that logic, the SBGE is larger than the MMBGE and costs less... for me this falls into the "no-brainer" decision slot.  
    BTW- you can always load enough lump to get the fire to any level of the grate.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SaintJohnsEgger said: Just wandering if I will miss out on something if I go small instead of the MM
    BTW- you can always load enough lump to get the fire to any level of the grate.  FWIW-
    The Small also gives you head room to use a functional raised grid/Woo.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mattman for the win.
    The raised direct sweet spot is the best part of owning a small.
    Small is literally, the mini large.  It can do everything it's bigger brother can do.

If you want a hell's sear and even a two-zone, save a ton of money, get a better tool, and buy a Jumbo Joe.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    If the price of the Small includes the full size Nest I would jump on the Small.
    The small was in a nest but it didn't mention if the nest was include. Here's the price sticker. Maybe you can tell from the model numbers.

MiniMax 04/17

• Photo Egg
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The small was in a nest but it didn't mention if the nest was include. Here's the price sticker. Maybe you can tell from the model numbers.

John, really no way to tell from the sticker.
    I tried the bar code product scanner on my phone but could not get a read.
    I really like my 2 Small Eggs. I have cooked on the MM. It is great for direct grilling. But I would never give up my Small for the MM, but I do have one.
    I do more raised, direct cooking on the Small. Cooking raised direct is more forgiving, you have to flip less often and you don't have to hover over your cook watching it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that's just the egg. I see it's the heavy duty model! Huh? LOL
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    If you're not into portability, I would buy the medium BGE. I don't own a mini max but I do own a small. I would take my medium 1000 to 1 over my small. Faster to temp, better at searing, and the perfect egg for weeknight cooks in my opinion. You will pay a little more but the space over the small is worth it for a second egg if you don't need to transport. Again... just my opinion.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    What @minniemoh said.  I've had a small and medium, and the medium is a terrific egg.  I personally found the small to be somewhat limiting.
    Phoenix 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    SWMBO thinks that I don't need 2 Eggs. So, I offered to buy her a second vacuum cleaner. Don't know if she agreed or not...still can't hear anything over the ringing in my ears.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have a large and a small.  Honestly I don't see any reason to get a small or minimax for weeknight cooks.  My large comes to temp faster than my small. I have heard mixed things on the mini-max...some people say they have a hard time getting it to temp. The difference in lump consumption is marginal. Sure the large holds more, but when you shut it down after cooking there is lump left over so for a given cook the actual amount you use isn't that different. 

If you want a second egg to expand your cooking capacity or the ability to cook direct and indirect then go for it.  However I don't see any advantage of a small vs a large for weeknight cooks.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    SWMBO thinks that I don't need 2 Eggs. So, I offered to buy her a second vacuum cleaner. Don't know if she agreed or not...still can't hear anything over the ringing in my ears.
    Get her a Roomba ...  =)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited March 2017
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    If you're not into portability, I would buy the medium BGE. I don't own a mini max but I do own a small. I would take my medium 1000 to 1 over my small. Faster to temp, better at searing, and the perfect egg for weeknight cooks in my opinion. You will pay a little more but the space over the small is worth it for a second egg if you don't need to transport. Again... just my opinion.
    Totally agree. The medium is killer for the wife and I. It heats up quickly and practically makes lump. We like grilled veggies and they take up some real estate. You'll never hear a medium owner say anything bad about them. 

I went to the mothership to look at the Mini Max when it first came out and ended up with medium. If you take the fire bowl and ring out of a medium, it's about the same weight as a mini max so the portability wasn't an issue in the rare occasion I cook elsewhere on it. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I like my small.  I have a mini and an XL as well.  On the rare occasion it's just Wilma & me eating, I fire up the mini or the small.  Usually it's the XL with the small occasionally playing sidekick.  The small is the one my 3rd grader calls hers.  It's a good egg.  Really, you can't go wrong either way you go.  That is, unless you start talking about a second vacuum cleaner.
    Flint, Michigan
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Do you have a table or nest for the other BGE?  If it's a table, the MiniMax is nice since you can set it next to the other one, or put it somewhere else if you need the table space.  Otherwise get a small with the nest and mates.  More possibilities since you have deeper firebox and higher dome.  If you ever wanted to tailgate, somebody used to make a carry basket for the small.

By the way, the "heavy duty" might been derived from the BGE part number "ASHD1"