Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamados at my local grill dealer

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    yljkt said:
    yljkt said:
     Just like Harley mandating huge clothing emporiums where they also happen to sell bikes. 
    It is not just that, the entire Harley world has changed. There was a time when you saw a guy on a Harley, and you knew that was not a guy to mess with. Now they look like your neighbors. Back then you had to kick start that big engine, that ruled out a nice chunk of the population. In the 80's when Malcolm Forbes and Elizabeth Taylor were riding them I knew it would never be the same.
    I am aware. Had my MC license for 37 years. Still got one of the "terrible AMF" Harley's in my garage. Along with 2 a little newer. You haven't HAD to kick a big twin since 1965. Hence the name Electra-Glide. Super-Glide got an electric leg in very early seventies. Last factory kicker was 1st year Softail with Evo engine, 1984. Eggs are a little like Harley's as far as how long they take to evolve. 
    A Porsche 911 doesn't need a lot of reworking. Simple, beautiful, classic and does it's job. 
  • Kamado Joe, Primo, Grill Dome...all jockeying for 2nd place.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Kamado Joe, Primo, Grill Dome...all jockeying for 2nd place.
    Funny thing about second place, it could be one sale away from first place. But I think 2nd place is sewn up by KJ. Competition makes for better products. Look at how well the new BBQ control units are doing. Is BBQ Guru the only unit you sell today. They used to be the only real show in town. Things change. But I would still be happy being the 2nd richest. The market is big enough for others.
    Still hope to make it west to one of your fests. Chubby tells some good stories.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    Photo Egg said:
    Kamado Joe, Primo, Grill Dome...all jockeying for 2nd place.
    Funny thing about second place, it could be one sale away from first place. But I think 2nd place is sewn up by KJ. Competition makes for better products. Look at how well the new BBQ control units are doing. Is BBQ Guru the only unit you sell today. They used to be the only real show in town. Things change. But I would still be happy being the 2nd richest. The market is big enough for others.
    Still hope to make it west to one of your fests. Chubby tells some good stories.
    I know Primo was #2 a couple years ago. Sometimes second place is closer to third or forth place. We will see how easy it is to sell the highest priced unit in the category. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @Photo Egg second place is always striving to get to the top of the mountain.  The company at the top may not see/ignore the run-up with the competition.  The fact that there are a few companies after your lunch should fuel innovation.  Time will tell.  Momentum is a powerful thing in the market-place along with slick advertising and a product that at least meets or exceeds the parent company hype.  Standing still always means you are losing ground to your competitors.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Bge is in first by a wide margin. KJ is in 2nd by a wide margin. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    alynd said:
    He's a former kj employee. Probably something behind his comment 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
    I just bet that 2 and 3 are vastly closer than 1 and 2. 
  • Hans61
    @pgprescott you'd have better info on that than me. I just remembered from a previous thread he stated something pretty specific about the new kj' before they came out, and when I asked him about it he said he used to work for kj. Pretty sure I've read before that company sales are private, so who knows. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    The other thing about KJ's advances, good for them. My thinking is bge has a few years to do something about it before they feel it in the pocket book. When I bought my egg I didn't know there were competing products. My guess is that's true for many first time buyers.
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • alynd
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
     I don't know.  I've visited hundreds of retailers and dealers of all brands throughout the country. You just don't see many Primo dealers anywhere and even fewer Grill Dome dealers. Most (not all) dealers realize its become a 2 horse race. I mean just look at this board. There are constantly new threads comparing the egg to KJ, but I can't remember the last thread centered around Primo, Grill Dome, etc. For the most part, BGE dominates the independent retailer channel, but with KJ partnering with the larger regional and national chains, the difference in the number of grills sold per year is sure to close.  And again, I no longer have any skin in the game, just sharing what info I have and what I've seen around the country. 
  • pgprescott
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
     I don't know.  I've visited hundreds of retailers and dealers of all brands throughout the country. You just don't see many Primo dealers anywhere and even fewer Grill Dome dealers. Most (not all) dealers realize its become a 2 horse race. I mean just look at this board. There are constantly new threads comparing the egg to KJ, but I can't remember the last thread centered around Primo, Grill Dome, etc. For the most part, BGE dominates the independent retailer channel, but with KJ partnering with the larger regional and national chains, the difference in the number of grills sold per year is sure to close.  And again, I no longer have any skin in the game, just sharing what info I have and what I've seen around the country. 
    How was the profit sharing? That's how you really measure success. For instance Traeger used to do a huge percentage of their business online. They figured out that they couldn't make any money selling their brand for no profit and then having people default on payments and still having to service the product. They now have completely reorganized and do less than 3% of their business online and have rededicated their commitment to the retailer. They have exploded. 
  • alynd
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
    How was the profit sharing? That's how you really measure success. For instance Traeger used to do a huge percentage of their business online. They figured out that they couldn't make any money selling their brand for no profit and then having people default on payments and still having to service the product. They now have completely reorganized and do less than 3% of their business online and have rededicated their commitment to the retailer. They have exploded. 
     I'm not sure I understand your question about profit sharing and how it relates to the discussion. 
  • pgprescott
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
     I'm not sure I understand your question about profit sharing and how it relates to the discussion. 
    Your business model has to be profitable. Thus my Traeger example. They sold a ton of pellet grills online over a five year period and made very little money, undercut the dealer network, and almost destroyed their business. If BGE sanctioned selling eggs at box stores I would look elsewhere. That is not the action of a good partner. Understanding this distinction is at the heart of the egg success and some will never get it as they have no perspective other than the Walmart consumer mentality (hurray for me and F you!). I personally choose to avoid that sort of thing both as a businessman and as a consumer.  I know I'm not alone, but I also know there is a whole other mentality out there. You can have those people. All of them. 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2017
    Quote-"You just don't see many Primo dealers anywhere and even fewer Grill Dome dealers."

Exactly my point, both laid claim the coveted #2 spot at one time within the last 10 years.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
    Your business model has to be profitable. Thus my Traeger example. They sold a ton of pellet grills online over a five year period and made very little money, undercut the dealer network, and almost destroyed their business. If BGE sanctioned selling eggs at box stores I would look elsewhere. That is not the action of a good partner. Understanding this distinction is at the heart of the egg success and some will never get it as they have no perspective other than the Walmart consumer mentality (hurray for me and F you!). I personally choose to avoid that sort of thing both as a businessman and as a consumer.  I know I'm not alone, but I also know there is a whole other mentality out there. You can have those people. All of them. 
    So apparently it is possible for a manufacturer to:

- sell via a dealer network
    - sell online (via their own and third-party websites)
    - sell via big box stores.

Traeger does just that. As do many other manufacturers of many types of products.

I don't really care who sells the most kamados. I'm trying to think of any product or product category where the item that is the most popular, as judged by units sold, is also the "best" item in its class. Certainly not true of watches, or computers, or tvs, or cars. I'm sure there must be something for which that is true and I'm just not thinking of it at the moment.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Traeger does just that. As do many other manufacturers of many types of products.

I don't really care who sells the most kamados. I'm trying to think of any product or product category where the item that is the most popular, as judged by units sold, is also the "best" item in its class. Certainly not true of watches, or computers, or tvs, or cars. I'm sure there must be something for which that is true and I'm just not thinking of it at the moment.

Yes, but they won't ship it to your door free and they don't undercut their own brand any longer. It's a very level playing field.

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Yes, but they won't ship it to your door free and they don't undercut their own brand any longer. It's a very level playing field.

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 
    I just saw Traeger setup at Costco. Looked just like the KJ roadshow from a few weeks ago. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • pgprescott
    jeponline said:
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 
    I just saw Traeger setup at Costco. Looked just like the KJ roadshow from a few weeks ago. 
    Huh? What price? Is it the grill they still sell on the infomercial? Could be but I haven't seen them sold for less than we sell them in a long while. I don't care as long as they don't sell them less than MAP. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 
    Well...nobody really ships anything for free. Traeger does charge separately/explicitly for shipping but many of the third party online vendors ship them for free.

Agreed which is why I put "best" in quotes.

That may well be true. Just as you seem to want to turn everything into an argument. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    jeponline said:
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 
    Huh? What price? Is it the grill they still sell on the infomercial? Could be but I haven't seen them sold for less than we sell them in a long while. I don't care as long as they don't sell them less than MAP. 
    This is the one they sell online and in some warehouses:

https://www.costco.com/Traeger-Century-22-Wood-Pellet-Grill.product.100285860.html

As they say, the price may well be lower in the store. In store prices frequently are lower especially at end of season when they want to clear some space.

• pgprescott
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 
    Well...nobody really ships anything for free. Traeger does charge separately/explicitly for shipping but many of the third party online vendors ship them for free.

That may well be true. Just as you seem to want to turn everything into an argument. :)
    They used to ship free and offer free financing too. It was ridiculous. I was in the process of changing brands when they changed the whole plan. Top end shake up. 

Fair enough. 
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    jeponline said:
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 
    I didn't pay much attention, but there were 3 different grills there. Here's the link to the schedule:
    https://m.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html

Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Ceramic Kamado Grill is a sub category, so BGE is the biggest seller in the premium / luxury sub category and not the whole grill market. Look again at cars and now we are comparing BMW, Audi, Jaguar volumes and ignoring Ford and GM.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 

They used to ship free and offer free financing too. It was ridiculous. I was in the process of changing brands when they changed the whole plan. Top end shake up. 

Fair enough. 
    Was Traeger offering direct financing or was it via a third party lender?

I can certainly see if they were financing it themselves that could come back and bite them.

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    jeponline said:
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 
    Pretty sure I saw tragers stocked at the local Costco last year. They have yet to reappear this spring. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I have 2 BGES, will have a third very soon. I have gone to the road shows, seen the KJs in dealerships. Have not seen the first one to guarantee it will do anything any better than what brought me into the ceramic cooker lifestyle.
    I like what I have, I have a great relationship with my dealer, I cook great tasting food. 
    Is there something out there with all the bells and whistles? Sure. Will it cook as much as mine with great results each time? Dunno.
    I do know my set up, bare bones, has been awesome thus far, on both the XL and the MM.
    I am good. I like my BGEs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Some of you know I am looking for a MM or small as a second eg for daily cooks.

Found the Joe Jr yesterday online at WalMart for $482 while my local Ace wants $599 for the MiniMax. But on looking closer shipping is $196 making the total $678. Not such a bargain anymore considering I can drive home with the Mini from my local Ace.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• pgprescott
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:

Best is subjective. 

You just like to argue 

Fair enough. 
    Was Traeger offering direct financing or was it via a third party lender?

I can certainly see if they were financing it themselves that could come back and bite them.
    I'm pretty sure they had skin in the game. It was a three payment deal. They found out many just defaulted. Lol. Yeah, you could get the grill at MAP with some pellets free and make three payments shipped to your door???? Wtf. I pay shipping to my warehouse. Not too smart. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
    Not sure how you can determine Primo's volume, as there is no import data to track.  Primo is adding more plant capacity to their production, so things are good in Primo land.    

You and I both know why KJoe had to go the regional retailer route.   We both know why they restructured their outside sales rep program.  You and I also know why they are in Costco, whose model they are following and what happens if they loose Costco.

I give the guys at KJoe credit for doing what they have to do to compete.   They do one thing better than any other and that is use their fan base to hype the KJoe brand on the internet.

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.