Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new EggHead new to the group and Eggs

Options
2»

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    blasting said:

You could make do with a medium, or a large.  An extra large allows you to do full packer without any need for getting creative.  

My ideal combo would be a medium and an xl. 
    Welcome and I second this. I have a large and a small, and they're great. But in retrospect I wish I had a medium and XL. 

Theyre all great cookers. If I could have only one I guess it would be the large. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I started with an XL and added a small a year later.  There are just two of us, and it is a great combination.  When I do butts, I Do 2 to 4 at once (the rest are for friends)  same time and same fire on the XL.  Small uses almost no lump and will do roasts, chops, chicken, burgers, steaks, etc  Go as big as you can afford for the first one.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Large. Welcome 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Go to snakeriver farms and look at Gold Briskets.  Realize the egg even at msrp is the cheapest part of this endevour you are about to start.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Welcome friend.

My first Egg was a Medium. Within about 6 months of purchase, I was looking to sell it to move up to the Large.

While the Medium is in many ways my favourite size (light enough to be moved alone comfortably, quick heat up times and less lump consumption than the Large, etc.), you will find that much cookware, such as pans and Dutch ovens, do not fit on it. This is extremely limiting, as you either have to purchase and use smaller cookware to make it work, or hack away handles, etc. of items such as pans to make them fit. This is often an overlooked consideration when choosing between these sizes. 

Obviously, the Large will also more comfortably allow for items such as ribs or a spatchcocked bird to be spread across the grill surface.

You will be happy with either, but my sense is that if you purchase the Medium, as I did, you will likely be looking to swap it out for a Large in fairly short order. 

Also, as others have noted, you may eventually look to get a second Egg. I purchased a Mini Max within months of getting my Large. Great combination worth considering down the road.

Happy grilling. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I bought an XL, because My Beautiful Wife and I enjoy entertaining friends and family. It is basically just the two of us most of the time. As has been mentioned previously, this will likely not be your last egg purchase.
    We enjoy the food cooked on our BGE so much, we bought a second BGE, a Mini Max to take with us for tailgating and camping.
    Trust me when I tell you this, the least expensive part of owning an egg, is the initial purchase. Everything that follows your purchase is total wallet genocide. Food savers, freezers, extra fridge, outdoor kitchens, landscaping, knives, utensils, kitchen remodeling (don't ask), new outdoor furniture, outdoor lighting, and it never stops.
    The XL has been a workhorse for us and I am glad I bought it, I will replace it if something should happen with another XL. The MM is just right for the road as well.
    Welcome to the forum, you are going to love your purchase, whatever you decide.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I got a large and then got an A/R expands the area greatly ! Whatever you choose , have fun !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO