Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Rice Cooker recommendations

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
Hey guys,

I had an Aroma rice cooker for about 4-5 years before it died.  Tried replacing it and went through FOUR defective units in a row before throwing in the towel on the brand.  I typically wouldn't have given them a 3rd chance, much less a 4th, but I liked my original rice cooker a lot. oh well, moving on.....

im in the market for a new rice cooker and, while I can obviously read reviews, I was hoping for a recommendation from a fellow culinary connoisseur.  Any thoughts? 

thanks in advance. 
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I've got a 10 cup Zojirushi induction model that I have used for many years sans problems.

Made in Japan and not China. Not that that necessarily matters but all things considered I would prefer a Made in Japan model.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Zojirushi.  Mine is on for days at a time, rice stays good.  The thing will not die.  I highly recommend as well.
    Phoenix 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have a Zojirushi model NS-ZCC10.  Like it a lot.  Still works well after several years of use.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Ask @caliking about rice cookers.  He is the man.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've got a 10 cup Zojirushi induction model that I have used for many years sans problems.

Made in Japan and not China. Not that that necessarily matters but all things considered I would prefer a Made in Japan model.
    The new Zojirushi Fukishima model is supposed to be the bomb!  No power needed.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Paging @caliking. Appreciate the advice above, but hoping for an option that isn't half a MiniMax
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Now that this has been brought up I have been thinking about the Zojirushi or an Instapot because of a recent thread. I believe someone posted previously how this helped their fried rice recipes as well, can anyone expand on that? And not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to help my own decision making. Thanks
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    @Moleman I recently bought an IP.  I have made Jasmine rice twice and risotto once with great results.  I am sure the Zojirushi is great at what it does, but I was happy with the IP results and it can be used for so many other things.  You can sauté, brown food before steaming, so I imagine this would help with the fried rice... 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Zojirushi is the way to go. I used to have a 10-cup model and loved it but it was too big. I sold it and got a smaller model and have been just ecstatic with is. The "fuzzy logic" circuit absolutely guarantees perfectly cooked rice every time. I mostly do brown rice, but also a fair amount of sushi rice. The various settings on the Zo make it easy -- very user friendly.

If you're like most people, this will be plenty big enough:
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Paging @caliking. Appreciate the advice above, but hoping for an option that isn't half a MiniMax
    How much do you want to spend then? What size (cups)?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnnyp
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    johnnyp said:
    How much do you want to spend then? What size (cups)?
    Well, Im going to be a little wishy-washy.  

My aroma was $40.  Thats kind of where my mind is.  That being said, I'm cool paying a premium for a premium product (i.e.  I own a BGE). But the Zojirushis that I'm seeing are $150+.  

Maybe I need to recalibrate my expectations, but $40 jumping to $150 feels like a kick in the gut. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    Odd, I clicked on this link to recommend the Aroma; it received Cook's Illustrated's top rating and I quit waiting for my old rice cooker (which burned the rice on the bottom) to die, and sprang for one.  I only paid $25, and absolutely love it.  Really surprised to read your string of bad luck, did you get them all from the same source?  Perhaps a bad lot?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• johnnyp
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Botch said:
    Odd, I clicked on this link to recommend the Aroma; it received Cook's Illustrated's top rating and I quit waiting for my old rice cooker (which burned the rice on the bottom) to die, and sprang for one.  I only paid $25, and absolutely love it.  Really surprised to read your string of bad luck, did you get them all from the same source?  Perhaps a bad lot?  
    I had an Aroma originally. Loved it. When the time came for a replacement, bought two from amazon. Then two from target. Two different models x 2. Four total, all defective.  If you read recent reviews of Aroma rice cookers or check their Facebook page, they've been getting slammed.  Not sure what happened, but quality seems to have taken a severe hit 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    Wow, that's too bad; hopefully the one I got will last as long as I do (and I don't buy green bananas anymore).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @johnnyp we have 2 models of rice cookers in our house... SWMBO and me :) 

No rice cookers allowed here so it will remain an unfulfilled dream. @Ozzie_Isaac was yankin' our chain a bit.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    We use a 10 qt pot.  Why the need for rice cooker?
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    We use a 10 qt pot.  Why the need for rice cooker?
    Primarily it gets you the opportunity to not have to pay attention to the rice cooking.  You can set the finish time and not have to be there to start it. It keeps the rice warm after finishing.  Normally when cooking the rice cooker is inside cooking the rice while I'm outside with the egg.  You can cook rice manually just fine, but it does require attention.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    Options
    Most Japanese households use rice cookers so there is no need to feel like you are somehow "cheating" by doing so yourself.

Like @jtcBoynton said, the ability to set it and walk away and have your rice turn out perfect ... every ... single ... time ... has its advantages.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    @johnnyp we have 2 models of rice cookers in our house... SWMBO and me :) 

No rice cookers allowed here so it will remain an unfulfilled dream. @Ozzie_Isaac was yankin' our chain a bit.
    I was yanking your chain.  I'm not sure why, but this is something that makes me chuckle everytime.  You need to get CaliPrince to ask for one.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You cut deep , bro :) But getting caliprince to snag a rice cooker for me may be a winning strategy!

@johnnyp - to clarify,  i think I need a rice cooker but SWMBO refuses to give in. Given how much of my crap she puts up with, I've chosen to let this one go... For now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've had the small Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic one for several years...but I use it mainly to cook steel cut oats overnight on the Porridge setting with the timer so it's ready for breakfast! One part oats to 3 parts water.

It's so easy to make PERFECT rice for two in a pot on the stove, 15 minutes plus steaming while I'm preparing the dinner. Why bother? One little dinky pot to wash and take out/put away.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    One of the oldest rice cookers known to man. 

And in my humble opinion, it still ranks among the very best that modern technology has to offer. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What about the "instant pot"? I don't have one (or a rice cooker), but it seems it might be nice to have something that serves more than one purpose. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnnyp
    Options

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone.  I'm leaning towards to instant pot because of the added versatility.

@smokeypitt I was headed that way even before you mentioned it, but after you did, I re-read the OT thread about them and I'm pretty sure I'm sold. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i bought one of these at a korean supermarket for ten bucks, its all i use.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    SmBishop, Thanks for the feedback. It seems to have helped many make their decisions including myself. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    To quote Alton Brown... "Single Taskers" :o

Look at the InstaPot and throw away your crock pot, pressure cooker and rice cooker!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• stonedog03
    Options
    I have the older model of this:
    http://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer/home-appliances/rice-cookers/mechanical/sr-g06fgl.html

It's lasted 10 years so far.

XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    To quote Alton Brown... "Single Taskers" :o

Look at the InstaPot and throw away your crock pot, pressure cooker and rice cooker!
    Yes, except try to pressure cook some meat and veggies, slow cook some beans, and get rice cooked all at the same time in one pot.  

If you don't have any of those devices, the InstaPot is a great way to go. However, if you already have the others, there are reasons to keep them.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Perfectly good point!!

You just need 3 instapots! =)

of course I also must need 2 more sous vide setups!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM