Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for dill pickle recommendations

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Leave it to @SGH to bring up anus in a discussion about pickles. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Leave it to @SGH to bring up anus in a discussion about pickles. :)
    https://youtu.be/IX2OYGtqiTo

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Mt. Olive planks are my go-to now for burgers and sandwiches, only because I can not find Heifetz Pickles around here anymore.  The first time I got them was because I needed some dill pickle chips for pulled pork and it was the cheapest.  

So if  you're able to find Heifetz, give them a try.  My only complaint is that the chips are on the small side, but that just means I load more of them on what ever I'm eating.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm currently settling for these, but "settling" is the key word as I'm not happy with them.

Ron, didn't you post just last year that you were over the moon with these pickles?  Have they changed?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Just don't try to smoke it....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Just don't try to smoke it....

could not find a recipe for that online. did find this though, thinking hemlock bourbon drinks this spring

Making Evergreen Tree Tip Tea

You can prepare a hot tea by taking a handful of spring tips per 3-4 cups of boiled water.  Cover and let steep about 10 minutes.  My favorite is a sun tea.  This brings out the bright aromatics and the vitamin C without the tannins.  Nothing is as refreshing as a cup of Douglas fir sun tea after a hard day of working in the garden.  I add 2 handfuls of tips in a quart jar and cover with room temperature water.  Place in a warm spot and let sit 3-8 hours.  Strain and drink straight, or mix with lemon or lime juice and sweetener.

Evergreen Tree Tip Syrup

You can make a simple syrup that can be used on pancakes, in tea, over ice cream, in sauces and to glaze meats.  This is really simple to prepare and you can use any of the many varieties of fir, spruce or hemlock.

1 cup spring fir, hemlock or spruce tips
    1 cup water
    1 cup sugar, demerara, turbinado or white

Place tree tips in an 8 ounce glass container.  Cover with water, close lid and place in a warm place (preferably in the sun).  Strain and place the liquid in a small sauce pan.  Add sugar, turn on medium heat and stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved.  Place in a glass jar and keep refrigerated.  This syrup will last several weeks.  Demerara is a natural brown sugar and turbinado is raw sugar.  These both have a richer and more complex flavor but white sugar will work fine too.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Legume said:
    RRP said:
    I'm currently settling for these, but "settling" is the key word as I'm not happy with them.

Ron, didn't you post just last year that you were over the moon with these pickles?  Have they changed?
    Yes I did - I do like the spears, but the sliced ones are overpowering on a hamburger. Last night I had just 4 sliced ones on a cheese burger and it was just too much. I ended up removing 2 of them before I finished the sandwich. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Image result for pickles funny
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Ron, I'm with you craving that old fashioned hamburger dill. My longtime favorite is Heinz Hamburger Dill Slices. The Heinz Dill & Sweet relish is equally as good. If you are interested in a spear, Milwaukee's Baby Kosher Dill Pickles. Both brands are available at my local markets.  I promise you won't be disappointed. 
    IL 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Sams Club for the win. My personal all time favorite!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Thats a buck. Not a doe. You idiot. 
    It depends on what it identifies itself. This is Merica.  

Did you see nuts on that dill doe?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    We should be sensitive to this things needs and ask which gender it identifies as. Then we can make fun of it. 

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    For hamburger chips, I really like the WalMart Great Value ones.   As with their other house brands, some are good and some are terrible, but I think this one is a winner.
    Are you jerkin' my gherkin?  Vlasic are around here, but I prefer Clausen.  For little dill pickles, I can't get enough Milwaukie Midgets!
    Flint, Michigan
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It depends on what it identifies itself. This is Merica.  

Did you see nuts on that dill doe?
    The nuts don't matter either. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Nathan's horseradish pickles are killer.
    Image result for nathans horseradish pickles
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks folks - I'm narrowing down my shopping list as I am sticking to "dill" pickles not sweet, not hot, not kosher (apparently), just plain old fashioned hamburger dill slices.
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    +1 on Bubbies. They make great sauerkraut too 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What's the difference between Kosher and Dill?  Are you an anti-semite?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    No, not at all!!! If you read about them such as in ILovePickles.com kosher pickles include garlic while straight dill pickles don't.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Buy a White Castle crave case.  Remove pickles and eat burgers.  Use pickles for your own burgers. Problem solved!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The addition of garlic is what defines a Kosher dill.  The dills used by a lot of restaurants on burgers are "plain dills" or "hamburger dills" without garlic.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I thought adding garlic made them "polish dills".
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    Options
    Apparently not so: read on which I lifted from ILovePickles.com

• Genuine Dill - These pickles are made by the slow "processed" method. Dill weed is added to the tanks during the last stage of fermentation or to the jar after fermentation. These pickles usually have a higher lactic acid flavor than other varieties.
    • Kosher Dill - True "Kosher" pickles are those that have been manufactured and certified in accordance with Jewish dietary laws, and made with dill and garlic added to the brine.  The flavor is very popular, more robust than regular dill pickles, so much so, that the name has stuck and kosher dills are the ultimate accompaniment to an overstuffed deli sandwich.
    • Other types of dills include Polish and German style.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Polish dills usually are a bit heavier on the garlic than Kosher dills, but both have garlic and are similar.  From a taste profile I'm sure that there is an overlap depending on who is making them.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I thought a kosher pickle was a pickle made with kosher salt.  That's something new I didn't know!
    Flint, Michigan
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    RRP said:
    Apparently not so: read on which I lifted from ILovePickles.com

• Genuine Dill - These pickles are made by the slow "processed" method. Dill weed is added to the tanks during the last stage of fermentation or to the jar after fermentation. These pickles usually have a higher lactic acid flavor than other varieties.
    • Kosher Dill - True "Kosher" pickles are those that have been manufactured and certified in accordance with Jewish dietary laws, and made with dill and garlic added to the brine.  The flavor is very popular, more robust than regular dill pickles, so much so, that the name has stuck and kosher dills are the ultimate accompaniment to an overstuffed deli sandwich.
    • Other types of dills include Polish and German style.
    Don't think they got the Kosher dill explanation right.  In this context it means a style/flavor and not adherence to dietary laws.

Kosher salt is designed for koshering meat and is not meant to mean it is kosher itself.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Are you jerkin' my gherkin?  I can't get enough Milwaukie Midgets!
    Start your own thread Fred!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I thought a kosher pickle was a pickle made with kosher salt.  That's something new I didn't know!
    That's not Kosher.....sorry Fred, couldn't pass on that one.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I much prefer to buy whole pickles and slice them into chips. They seem to be better that way to me. Could be psychological, but I don't think so. I like vlasic for classic dill and Claussen for Kosher.
     I like most pickles to some degree, but I would rather serve good bread and butters on the side. I mix it up though.