Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Chimeny Cap... Is flat cap needed?

I've been using the newer style Smokeware Chimney Cap for past few months, but I've noticed my lump is continuing to burn longer than with my old daisy wheel when I'm done cooking.  Do I need to by the flat cap?

Didn't know if anyone experienced same issue and tried the flat cap, curious on results.
Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer

Comments

• PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    never have had an issue with lump burning after I close my SW cap, on occasion I will pull the whole thing off and put my Ceramic top back on ... just dont try to do this with your hands (I use my ash scraper tool)

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I haven't found the flat cap to be any kind of game changer.  If your SW cap doesn't leak, and it shouldn't, there shouldn't be any significant difference from the DW.  If it leaks, and some have had this issue, get SW to replace it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    I don't have the flat cap, but I just closet the SW cap off and all is well. 
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    bgebrent said:
    I haven't found the flat cap to be any kind of game changer.  If your SW cap doesn't leak, and it shouldn't, there shouldn't be any significant difference from the DW.  If it leaks, and some have had this issue, get SW to replace it.
    Or there is a leak somewhere else that there wasn't before.  Possible crack, dome not sealing the same, vent not sealing the same, etc.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    IMO, it's not needed. I've tried shutting down with the smokeware chimney as well as the flat cap, and there really isn't a noticeable difference in time. I never use my flat cap anymore. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • I've noticed that my lump seems to burn longer when closing down the SmokeWare Cap so I just got the flat cap but haven't used it yet. Previously I just removed the SmokeWare Cap and used the green cap from BGE.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I only use my SW

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    If you don't clean your smokeware, it will get nice and gunked up and seal really well.
    NOLA
  • LCEgghead
    LCEgghead Posts: 10
    The OEM cap works but I love my SW.  It's aesthetically pleasing to the eye, protects from those Midwest rain/snow and I feel I can control the air flow a tad better especially after opening the top and knowing it didn't move.  Just MHO though..
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    I've noticed a longer shutdown time too with the SW cap. I generally just pull it off and use the ceramic cap when I am finished
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    sounds like mixed reviews with trying shutdown strictly with SW cap.  I'm going to buy flat cap and will report back.
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Perhaps you can try this to detect if there's a leak ... when it's dark and egg is cold, stick a flashlight or light bulb in the egg and close the dome with SW cap in closed position.
    canuckland