Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamados at my local grill dealer

Options

Comments

• distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    Focker said:
    Has anyone figured what a side-by-side cost difference is by adding up all of the a la carte items like AR, stone, spider, mates, smokeware, nomex, nest etc etc which are OEM for KJ?

@CarolinaQ, help a brother out.  ;)
    I've more or less done this, and I believe it comes out about the same price (assuming roughly MSRP for both)

2017 Big Joe II: $1,900

BGE XL: $1,200
    Nest: $180
    Mates: $160
    Ash/Gripper: $60
    CGS Woo/Spider: $50
    CGS: AR (no extra grate, since KJ only comes with one grate): $90
    CGS Heat Deflectors: $60
    CGS Ang-L Brackets: $30
    Smokeware Chimney Cap: $60
    Total: $1,890

I looked around locally near GA, and the cheapest I found the BGE + CGS + SW was about $1,580 -- and you can buy a BJ II at Costco for $1,500 + $50 membership (I think) for those that don't have one.

Sooo...overall, about the same, give or take. 

I'm still painfully undecided between BGE, KJ, and even a Pit Barrel Cooker ($300). I am mostly looking for a low maintenance charcoal smoker--I have a smaller Akorn JR where I grill 85% of my meals, and I think for the purposes of steak, chicken, burgers, chops--one could prob not tell a major difference between a MM/KJ Jr and Akorn Jr, except for the price tag ($150 for Akorn Jr).
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky that I have a great dealer. She goes out of her way to help.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Has anyone figured what a side-by-side cost difference is by adding up all of the a la carte items like AR, stone, spider, mates, smokeware, nomex, nest etc etc which are OEM for KJ?

I've more or less done this, and I believe it comes out about the same price (assuming roughly MSRP for both)

I looked around locally near GA, and the cheapest I found the BGE + CGS + SW was about $1,580 -- and you can buy a BJ II at Costco for $1,500 + $50 membership (I think) for those that don't have one.

I'm still painfully undecided between BGE, KJ, and even a Pit Barrel Cooker ($300). I am mostly looking for a low maintenance charcoal smoker--I have a smaller Akorn JR where I grill 85% of my meals, and I think for the purposes of steak, chicken, burgers, chops--one could prob not tell a major difference between a MM/KJ Jr and Akorn Jr, except for the price tag ($150 for Akorn Jr).
    You tried real hard to make the bge cost as much as the Joe. It won't. Also, many people won't purchase those items, ever. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Focker said:

You tried real hard to make the bge cost as much as the Joe. It won't. Also, many people won't purchase those items, ever. 
    True, but it is a nice comparison. Except with the XL Adj Rig you must add the 20" round cooking grid to top the unit @ $54.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    da87 said:
    Are the customer service issues limited to Canada or dealer by dealer?  LBGE fire ring broke into 2 pieces (noticed after a za cook), called dealer, they contacted BGE, and I picked up my replacement 1 week later - no follow up by me, no charge, no questions, and no hassle...  I can't comment on the innovation piece - during my pre-purchase research I found this forum and "lurked for a while, you guys sold my egg.
    I'm not sure, as I haven't had to make any claims. Perhaps another member can speak to this.
    I've had two warranty claim experiences here in Canada. One for a KJ Jr. that cracked - sent a couple photos and had a replacement shipped to me in under a week. The other for my BGE XL's base. Sent photos to head office directly - thinking that would get things moving faster than going through the dealer. They claimed the crack wasn't an issue and had me lug the base up to their head office (about 45 minutes drive north of where I am). When I got there, they put up a fuss to exchange it - took about an hour of back and forth to walk out of there with a new base. Painful. But I'm sure there are many more good experiences than there are bad ones. I was just the lucky one here. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:

True, but it is a nice comparison. Except with the XL Adj Rig you must add the 20" round cooking grid to top the unit @ $54.
    He pointed out you don't get multiple grates with the KJ either. The comparison is off a hundred or two. 
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Pretty funny that Bobby has to troll here though because his forums are so inactive. But seriously which one of you guys is actually BB?
    You think bobby has time to read this forum. That is comical.  

Look at the FB comments here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/500015733460665/permalink/1046297692165797/

I assume one one of his loyal followers sent him the link. 

I have never seen bobby make a negative comment about the competition. 

• distanceman
    Options
    Focker said:

No, what I did was answer the man's question--a direct comparison between the two. I'm color indifferent buddy, as I don't own either one...I have zero agenda, so nice try.

You're right many won't buy those items, but again, the question was asked to do a direct comparison between the two.

From my research, the listed BGE/CGS/SW set up will get you more or less the same features as the new KJ--whether the Nest, Mates, and hinge will be as good of quality remains up for debate.

And to answer the question below me, I did not factor in the cost of an additional grate because the KJ only has one grate (albeit split). I tried to keep the "apples to apples" as best as I could, but in fairness, the KJ does allow two heights with one split grate--so an extra 20" round would make the MSRP of the Egg slightly higher than the Joe.
    Located Middle GA

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    da87 said:
    Are the customer service issues limited to Canada or dealer by dealer?  LBGE fire ring broke into 2 pieces (noticed after a za cook), called dealer, they contacted BGE, and I picked up my replacement 1 week later - no follow up by me, no charge, no questions, and no hassle...  I can't comment on the innovation piece - during my pre-purchase research I found this forum and "lurked for a while, you guys sold my egg.
    Ha! yea the reality is real users of eggs have been innovating on behalf of BGE for years now. that's just the problem. Smokeware, CGS, @RRP, Kickash basket, etc, etc. BGE might be going along for the ride, but they're certainly not in the driver's seat. Too bad, because I've bled green for some time now. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    Pretty funny that Bobby has to troll here though because his forums are so inactive. But seriously which one of you guys is actually BB?
    You think bobby has time to read this forum. That is comical.  

Look at the FB comments here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/500015733460665/permalink/1046297692165797/

I assume one one of his loyal followers sent him the link. 

I have never seen bobby make a negative comment about the competition. 

Well he obviously had time to share the link so yeah I do. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2017
    Options

Mates:  $110
    Ash+Gripper:  $35

Take another $75 off the total number above.  Not sure where he's shopping.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited March 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    @Whirly comes outta the woodwork again lol.  I agree @Ozzie_Isaac, the prez has got me rethinking a Joe jr, he seems like a super huge piece of dog $hit. 

Geez...one funny/snarky little comment made amongst his audience and you jump to calling him a "super huge piece of dog $hit". That's pretty telling...about you.

Say what you want about Brennan (and by all accounts I have read he is a great guy) but he certainly enjoys and is active in engaging with customers and soliciting their input and wanting to hear the good and bad. He is also willing to share info about what they are working on. Something which a lot of companies won't, or are very reluctant to, to talk about future products. 

Perhaps some of the old timers here can correct me but I have never seen anyone from BGE officially talking about BGE products/plans/prototypes/etc. or answering questions or engaging with their customers in any way here or any other forum. 

Maybe that's just a result of the different company cultures - one old company formed before the internet and one new 21st century company that embraces the internet and social media.

That thread on Facebook spawned a lot of posts one of which I got a kick out of and I just know you'll really appreciate:

In case you're not aware, Dennis is the owner of Komodo Kamados so now I guess you can not only not buy a KJ Jr. but also cancel your order for a 32" Big Bad. :)

HeavyG said:
    @Whirly comes outta the woodwork again lol.  I agree @Ozzie_Isaac, the prez has got me rethinking a Joe jr, he seems like a super huge piece of dog $hit. 

Geez...one funny/snarky little comment made amongst his audience and you jump to calling him a "super huge piece of dog $hit". That's pretty telling...about you.

Say what you want about Brennan (and by all accounts I have read he is a great guy) but he certainly enjoys and is active in engaging with customers and soliciting their input and wanting to hear the good and bad. He is also willing to share info about what they are working on. Something which a lot of companies won't, or are very reluctant to, to talk about future products. 

Perhaps some of the old timers here can correct me but I have never seen anyone from BGE officially talking about BGE products/plans/prototypes/etc. or answering questions or engaging with their customers in any way here or any other forum. 

Maybe that's just a result of the different company cultures - one old company formed before the internet and one new 21st century company that embraces the internet and social media.

That thread on Facebook spawned a lot of posts one of which I got a kick out of and I just know you'll really appreciate:

In case you're not aware, Dennis is the owner of Komodo Kamados so now I guess you can not only not buy a KJ Jr. but also cancel your order for a 32" Big Bad. :)

The fact that you seem to be okay with the president of a company taking the time out of his day (and not the first time) to sling mud about another company publicly says a lot about you.  

The fact that he has brought his product to where it is shows that he cares about his customers and is willing to bring hard competition, but he should let the product speak for itself because it is saying some pretty good things.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2017
    Options
    He pointed out you don't get multiple grates with the KJ either. The comparison is off a hundred or two. 
    True, the KJ does not come with multiple grates but the KJ system does not require multiple grates.
    The XL Rig, on the other hand, is designed to use a non-standard 20" cooking grate on the top. The XL Rig is worthless if it's used alone with the standard 24" BGE cooking grate.
    distanceman put together a nice list. 

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    Personally, it was a big advantage to start out with so few accessories.  I got what I considered the necessities (nest, mates, plate setter, pizza stone, ash tool, grill gripper) and was cooking everything I wanted to.

From there I added a PSWoo and extender for raised cooking and extra grid (not available with KJ), and a spider and Wok for stir frying.  It's the perfect setup for me and I don't see how I could have duplicated it with KJ.  Every time I've looked at divide and conquer, I'm not impressed and have no interest in the split grid.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • distanceman
    Options

Mates:  $110
    Ash+Gripper:  $35

Take another $75 off the total number above.  Not sure where he's shopping.
    I searched google and found some prices -- Ok so I was high on the gripper/tool--over by $25. My apologies.

For mates, what I found for a large was $150, so I figured (again, looking at rough MSRP) $160 was "fair" for an XL...because from what I've gathered, prices can vary greatly depending on where you live in the country.

http://johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/product/big-green-egg-folding-egg-mates/

Which puts Big Joe II at $1,900 and "comparable BGE" at about $1,850ish. Hopefully you ladies are happier now that my prices are a little more "realistic" for your liking. God forbid I spend some of my own time doing a rough analysis answering someone else question, and it's not exact science. 
    Located Middle GA

• bigalsworth
    Options
    I will also point out something less than obvious to most of you, you all are not the typical customer. You are the 1% ers. You likely don't view yourself this way, but trust me, you are. People assume their thought process and research and knowledge is shared by all. It isn't. Most of what we discuss here is nonsense to the prospective buyer. Not every buyer, but 90+%. 
    My thoughts exactly.  BGE has the brand recognition.  KJ still seems like the RTIC to me.

Honestly guys, who believes Joe Public even knows how to use all the KJ gadgets?  I have a bunch of friends with BGEs and they are content to just grill on the fire ring.  Many are amazed by my FB posts and had no clue the BGE was so versatile.
    I think KJ is starting to get a lot of brand recognition,  Costco road shows would have spread the word of KJ much quicker than if it was just in BBQ joints or leisure stores.  

What happens when BGE doesn't have way more brand recognition than KJ?  In all likelyhood stock BGE could be cheaper than the KJ, consumers may very well decide that the barebones BGE is a better deal.  I do think brand dynamics will slowly change with the KJ appearing as a more expensive, but premium product and the BGE will be a good but entry level cooker.  We shall see.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    jeponline said:
    Personally, it was a big advantage to start out with so few accessories.  I got what I considered the necessities (nest, mates, plate setter, pizza stone, ash tool, grill gripper) and was cooking everything I wanted to.

From there I added a PSWoo and extender for raised cooking and extra grid (not available with KJ), and a spider and Wok for stir frying.  It's the perfect setup for me and I don't see how I could have duplicated it with KJ.  Every time I've looked at divide and conquer, I'm not impressed and have no interest in the split grid.

What if you already had that stuff because you already owned one?  You don't need two grill lifters, ash tools, rarely two plate setters or pizza stones.

Or what if you were going to put it in a table or custom cooking island?  Don't need the nests or mates.

Yeah, if you're buying it at Costco, it makes it easy it's all in one box.  But when you're buying it from a knowledgeable dealer who is going to work with your needs (and most will likely deliver and assemble it) then who cares if it's all in the same box??  Especially when the price is now comparable or less.  You're not getting a free nest or accessories, everything in that box costs something. 
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Focker said:

@tjv and @Focker asked for the comparison
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited March 2017
    Options

I know a place in texas, I've known the owner since he was born, where you can get all that for ~$1350 but that includes a bag of rockwood and fire starters too 

You're right many won't buy those items, but again, the question was asked to do a direct comparison between the two.

From my research, the listed BGE/CGS/SW set up will get you more or less the same features as the new KJ--whether the Nest, Mates, and hinge will be as good of quality remains up for debate.

And to answer the question below me, I did not factor in the cost of an additional grate because the KJ only has one grate (albeit split). I tried to keep the "apples to apples" as best as I could, but in fairness, the KJ does allow two heights with one split grate--so an extra 20" round would make the MSRP of the Egg slightly higher than the Joe.
     let me help clarify a bit.  just a quick list.

-  ask the joe guys for the set up to smoke up to 9 racks of ribs (babyback or st. louis) flat & whole and still get to each rack without taking any of the set-up apart.  
    -  ask the joe guys how you get two level of pork butts or brisket between the grids on the divide and conquer.  
    -  ask the joe guys, how you lift the divide and conquer out when it's loaded with stones and food.  
    -  ask the joe guys how you push a big pizza stone high in the dome without the thermometer interfering with it.
    -  ask the joe guys how you can set up for a simple one grid cook, direct or indirect and have direct access to the lump without handling the set-up
    - ask the joe guys how you do multi-level cooks and have easy access to the lower grid.
    - ask the joe guys how you do a double divide and conquer set-up on the classic.....half stone under a full size lower grid and half stone under a half size upper grid with direct access to the lower gird.  this set-up is great for steaks or burgers with side dishes. 

simple answer to all is......you can't. 

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    jeponline said:

What if you already had that stuff because you already owned one?  You don't need two grill lifters, ash tools, rarely two plate setters or pizza stones.

Or what if you were going to put it in a table or custom cooking island?  Don't need the nests or mates.

Yeah, if you're buying it at Costco, it makes it easy it's all in one box.  But when you're buying it from a knowledgeable dealer who is going to work with your needs (and most will likely deliver and assemble it) then who cares if it's all in the same box??  Especially when the price is now comparable or less.  You're not getting a free nest or accessories, everything in that box costs something. 
    While I have dreams of multiple eggs, it's so far from a reality that I've never thought about the logistics, but you are correct there are definitely things I would not have to buy a second time.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    jeponline said:

I wish I walked your path.  I took a more expensive meandering path to finally end up with the PSwoo and woo extender.  When I first came on this site there was a group buy for another product, people seemed to be happy with it so I tracked it down and bought it, it did not work like I imagined and maybe used it twice before looking for another solution.

This site is great, but a wet behind the ears no nothing guy like I was when I first started hopped on whatever what at the top of the topic list, that product happened to be the first thing I saw, there were no threads about the PSwoo or AR in sight lol.  My own fault I know, but I would have rather saved that money and got my egg and multilevel cooking system as a package from a dealer.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    da87 said:
    I would say it dealer by dealer.  I put a claim in for a base, bowl, and ring at the end of December.  Parts finally showed up about a week ago, except they send me a plate setter instead of a base.  Guess what? I have no idea when I'm going to get my base.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    FWIW - interesting to me that the Buffalo allows this debate to carry on freely for several days and with quite a few negative comments about BGE's lack of innovation, etc.  I find it refreshing that they comfortably allow it - either says they have great confidence in their product and an unusual and wonderful openness to criticism or it says a scary thing and no one from BGE reads this forum or takes advantage of direct and open cutomer discussion of their product...   Whichever side of that you pick simply speaks to your current frame of mind on the Egg.  I'll choose the former since I had such a wonderful warranty experience and this forum trumped any KJ advances when I made my decision.  To me its all about great food - the Egg has been a great tool and the forum provides ideas, experience, community, and an incredible willingness to help and share.  Again, FWIW from a post still under 500 posts...
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I will also point out something less than obvious to most of you, you all are not the typical customer. You are the 1% ers. You likely don't view yourself this way, but trust me, you are. People assume their thought process and research and knowledge is shared by all. It isn't. Most of what we discuss here is nonsense to the prospective buyer. Not every buyer, but 90+%. 
    My thoughts exactly.  BGE has the brand recognition.  KJ still seems like the RTIC to me.

Honestly guys, who believes Joe Public even knows how to use all the KJ gadgets?  I have a bunch of friends with BGEs and they are content to just grill on the fire ring.  Many are amazed by my FB posts and had no clue the BGE was so versatile.
    And my roto molded cooler has RTIC on the top.
    I guess thats a poor comparision.  I see a ton of RTIC cups at work too.  And they don't even bother to pretend to innovate.

Neither does Walmart with that Ozark cup. Next we will be talking Vision.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Focker said:
    The "Innovation and Customer Service Matters" movement.

I think we need to take 3 days off work in protest, all wear green, take our eggs to DC, and have a fest at the Lincoln Monument.

Might need a safe space

• bigalsworth
    Options
    tjv said:

I know a place in texas, I've known the owner since he was born, where you can get all that for ~$1350 but that includes a bag of rockwood and fire starters too 

let me help clarify a bit.  just a quick list.

-  ask the joe guys for the set up to smoke up to 9 racks of ribs (babyback or st. louis) flat & whole and still get to each rack without taking any of the set-up apart.  
    -  ask the joe guys how you get two level of pork butts or brisket between the grids on the divide and conquer.  
    -  ask the joe guys, how you lift the divide and conquer out when it's loaded with stones and food.  
    -  ask the joe guys how you push a big pizza stone high in the dome without the thermometer interfering with it.
    -  ask the joe guys how you can set up for a simple one grid cook, direct or indirect and have direct access to the lump without handling the set-up
    - ask the joe guys how you do multi-level cooks and have easy access to the lower grid.
    - ask the joe guys how you do a double divide and conquer set-up on the classic.....half stone under a full size lower grid and half stone under a half size upper grid with direct access to the lower gird.  this set-up is great for steaks or burgers with side dishes. 

simple answer to all is......you can't. 

t

But a new customer won't be thinking of that so those questions are moot.  Their target is people who don't know to ask those questions, not necessarily people who already own some of these types of products.  Your product is far superior there is no doubt (in my mind) but I can't go to a store that sells eggs (where I live) and see your product on the shelf as an option, I have to stumble into this forum or I would never find you.  

On the other hand I can go to a KJ dealer and see all this stuff that it comes with and I will think, "sweet, that stuff all looks pretty cool and useful and it all comes as a package."
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Innovation and competition can be good or bad. Yes BGE could improve some. But I don't want it to be like the Digital SLR market.

Canon makes a camera with more pixels or better X than Nikon. So Nikon then introduces a model with more pixels than the Canon top of the line and with some new whiz-bang feature. Then Canon does the same to Nikon. Its a vicious circle and the price keeps going up an up.

I bought BGE for the quality and the community. I will customize my Basic large to meet my needs. I am at the point where I prefer quality over cheapness.

An example, the KJ comes with a plate setter and an ash tool. I bought an ash tool and plate setter when I got my LBGE. But I really don't need the ash tool and I now use a pizza stone as much if not more than the PS. So, having those things included doesn't really gain me much.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• pgprescott
    Options
    If you guys like the divide and conquer system you should really sell your KJ and get a 400 Primo. Imo, the divide and conquer is a closer riff of the primo than the CGS stuff. It borrows from both, but if you like the KJ you will love the true two zone and actual offset/indirect cooking available on the Primo. With the price increases of the KJ, the Primo is a steal. No real good forum though. It's the black one and it's not round. Just trying to help. 
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Last spring/summer in central Ohio, a longtime BGE dealer switched directions and started a pretty significant radio and print ad campaign that was pro KJ and very much anti BGE. Often he was very specific about the differences between the two products. Looks like he might have been ahead of the trend.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• pgprescott
    Options
    Innovation and competition can be good or bad. Yes BGE could improve some. But I don't want it to be like the Digital SLR market.

Canon makes a camera with more pixels or better X than Nikon. So Nikon then introduces a model with more pixels than the Canon top of the line and with some new whiz-bang feature. Then Canon does the same to Nikon. Its a vicious circle and the price keeps going up an up.

I bought BGE for the quality and the community. I will customize my Basic large to meet my needs. I am at the point where I prefer quality over cheapness.

An example, the KJ comes with a plate setter and an ash tool. I bought an ash tool and plate setter when I got my LBGE. But I really don't need the ash tool and I now use a pizza stone as much if not more than the PS. So, having those things included doesn't really gain me much.

ala carte choice is a good thing.  Bundling can be an effective sales tool at the pop, but rigid bundling is not to your benefit.